Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2006 6:21:41 PM EDT
Still deciding which to get, the od glock frame looks sweet though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:25:23 PM EDT
[#1]
go to the range and shoot both....i think you already answered your own question though. The glock 19 is the ultimate handgun.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#2]
GLOCK 19 hands down.

More natural grip angle.
Very simple design with fewer parts and easier to work on yourself.
Lower bore axis for less felt recoil and muzzle flip.
More tested, proven design.
Much, much, much more rust resistant.
More holsters and accessories to choose from.
More cheap, easily available mags including 17, 19, and 33 rounders.
Better resale value(not that you will ever want to part with it.)

If none of the above convinces you, my 1988 model G19 has almost 30,000 rounds on it with ZERO failures.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
G19  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#4]
G19

XD would not be a bad gun though....i just think that the quality could be a little better
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#5]
IMHO the G19 is the most versitle handgun. i own 2 a 19 & a 19c.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the Glock.  

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both and prefer the Glock but I will not say it is better. Both have been very reliable and accuracy is about the same but I prefer the grips and sights on my Glock. Probably because I am used to it. Get whichever one fits you best and do not sweat propiganda as both are great. Like I said though my Glock 19 is my pick.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Glock 19.

My G19 has been carried with me everyday for over a year and a half.  It still looks new.

We owned an XD for a couple of months.  Within a few weeks, rust started to form on the finish.  Comfy grip, accurate, simple.....rusty?

Glock 19.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Get the Glock.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have both.  I probably would have been inclined to say XD a couple of days ago, simply because it feels better in the hand, and it seems to point and shoot better than the G19.  Mainly because of the trigger.  There is something about Glock triggers which makes me have to concentrate more while squeezing the trigger.  The one thing that turned me off about the XD is the front sight came loose.  It didn't come off completely, but I was shooting and noticed the gun was shooting way to the right.  I looked at the front sight and it had drifted all the way to the left on it's own.  I could move it back and forth just by tapping with my finger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:01:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the XD's.  I have a XD9 4" and the XD40 Sub compact and love these guns.  I’ve never had any problem with either.  No sights falling off. No rust on the slide.  Both are accurate and very reliable.  They fit my hands much better than the Glocks.  I would handle both and if you can shot both and which ever feels the best in your hand, get it.  You can't go wrong with either.  The new XD .45 ACP is out and I will be picking one up as they are available in my area.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#12]
XD.

I own an xd 40 subcomp and love it, especially with a canyon creek trigger job.  As for rusting, I have never seen rust on my gun or any  of my friends XD's.  There are about 10 XDs between all of us.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock - cheap mags, parts available online
XD - not as cheap mags, parts only availabe from SA

When the XD was half the price of a Glock (HS2000) it was a good deal.

G
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I like my XD better than my friends glock...my .02 ....I have about 5000 through it without a glitch.........Did you read the XD torture test in Testfire..?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:57:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a XD9 subcompact and up until yesterday I would have said get a XD. But I bought a 19 yesterday and I love it! Feels so much better than the XD and I think the 19 is lighter. I say go with the 19 you won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:17:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Get the XD - its not a glock.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Get the XD - its not a glock.  

good enough reason for me

seriously tough, XD just fits me so much better. never have like the way glocks felt in my hand, and don't point naturally for me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:49:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a G19 and it went auto on me last week.  It was sitting out in the sun and, for no good reason,  just went off all by itself.  I know everyone says it can't do it but it did.  I don't think the Glock is a very good or safe design.  I would suggest you get a Bryco 9er.  They are inexpensive, safe and they work.  And they don't go off by theirself.

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#19]
G19, my choice.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#20]
G19
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have a G19 and it went auto on me last week.  It was sitting out in the sun and, for no good reason,  just went off all by itself.  I know everyone says it can't do it but it did.  I don't think the Glock is a very good or safe design.  I would suggest you get a Bryco 9er.  They are inexpensive, safe and they work.  And they don't go off by theirself.

lawdog

Your joking right?

If not, did you do any mods to your gun?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:44:26 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

lawdog

oh please...they do seem to go off when you pull the fuckin trigger!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#23]
As someone who owns both...

Quoted:

+ Glock has a 10x better finish + the Glock has 10x more accessories (sights, holsters, etc.) and most importantly I believe the Glock to be a higher quality firearm. I will say the grip on the XD is 10x better but over all the Glock is the way to go IMO.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:55:23 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
As someone who owns both...

Quoted:

+ Glock has a 10x better finish + the Glock has 10x more accessories (sights, holsters, etc.) and most importantly I believe the Glock to be a higher quality firearm. I will say the grip on the XD is 10x better but over all the Glock is the way to go IMO.

I couldn't agree less with you, but than I don’t have too.  That's what is so great about America we have choices here! 10X’s is way over board.  You’ve been drinking to much Cool Aid.  The finish on mine is fine.  XD’s come allot of different colors and finishes.  I have all the accessories I need and want, M6 laser light, great choices sights, great choices in holsters, mags and more.  Every month more accessories are being made available for the XD line.  Buy whatcha like.  But to say Glocks are 10X better than XD’s… well that's just… Bull #%@*!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:56:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Get both, but I would get a USP first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You’ve been drinking to much Cool Aid.

Guess again slick. I do not think Glocks are perfect (nobody has made the perfect gun yet or even come close IMO) but I bought the XD honestly hoping it would be the "Improved Glock" its trying to be but in the end, its simply not.

Quoted:
But to say Glocks are 10X better than XD’s… well that's just… Bull #%@*!

Well what would you prefer? 5x better? 2.5x better? In the end the Glock is still better so what does the percentage matter?

Quoted:
I couldn't agree less with you, but than I don’t have too.  That's what is so great about America we have choices here!

Well I will agree with that but just make sure you base your choices on something substantial. My opinion is based off of 15 years with Glock and close to 2 years with an XD. All the Internet BS aside, the only way to know a gun is to spend some time with it. The only way to honestly compare two different guns is to spend time with both side-by-side. I do not think the SA is a piece of shit but the only area were I have found the XD to be superior to the Glock is the grip. YMMV

Hell, don't take my word on it. Neither gun is all the expensive so buy both and make up your own mind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess again slick. I do not think Glocks are perfect (nobody has made the perfect gun yet or even come close IMO)

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:06:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess again slick. I do not think Glocks are perfect (nobody has made the perfect gun yet or even come close IMO)

www.kaehny.de/schreckschuss/colt/1911_nickel_holz_vollbild.JPG

John Browning was one hell of a gun designer but like I said
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:25:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pffft.

It is no where near perfect, even with 100 years of evolution and improvement.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

lawdog

You are a tool,  aren't you?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdog

You are a tool,  aren't you?

Some day we'll figure out who's troll account this is.  I suspect it is the Bee Keeper's.

G
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#32]
One more vote for the Glock. Mine rarely goes off in direct sunlight on its own.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Glock.  It ain't gunna go boom if you don't pull the trigger.  Hell, 1911s are known to come off of safe while riding around in a holster, and they have a shorter, lighter trigger than a glock does.  

Lets think for a minute.  What's one of the rules of gun handling?  

Oh yea.....keep finger off of trigger until ready to shoot.  That means.....until gun is out of holster and pointed in direction of threat/target/
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:34:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

lawdog

+1
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lawdog

+1

+2
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Glock 19 is the best all around gun on the planet.

I've wasted money on 1911's, and spent money on Berettas, S&W autos, and other Glock models including  the 17,26 and 30.  After all the dust settled, I really admired the Glock 19 as the best all around gun.  It fits the hand great, is reliable, has excellent corrosion resistance, and has the best combination of dimensions and ammunition capacity.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#37]
My middle finger is the perfect gun. You wouldn't wanna fuck with me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oh yeah, that's why he didnt design the hi-power to correct deficiencies in the 1911 design!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an
However, got to agree that the rest of triburst1's points are valid for the G19.

Google Fight on Grip Reduction Glock vs. Grip Reduction XD9

My advise is to try both and get the one that fits your hand.

wganz

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:13:09 AM EDT
[#40]
why isnt there a freakin' poll,??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:30:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Short answer: get the one that fits your hand the best.

Long answer:  I have had glocks, and have held XDs.  the XD points naturally for me.  Having been raised shooting 1911s, my muscle memory places a 1911 grip angle perfectly on target.  Try this sometime:  hold the pistol down by your side.  Close your eyes.  Bring the handgun up into your usual, comfortable firing stance.  Open your eyes.  Where does the gun point?  Are the sights lined up?  Or is the gun pointed too far up or down?

With me, a natural firing stance, one that I resort to when quickly bringing a gun onto target, has the Glock pointing too high.  In a situation where I am relying on muscle memory to bring the gun quickly onto (or back onto) target, I am aware that with a Glock I will be shooting over the head of my intended target.  This is not what I need in a combat situation.  This is why I will not rely on a Glock to save my life.  That being said, I think that the Glock is one of, if not the best, handgun platform out there.  It just doesn't work for me.

A 1911 on the other hand, comes to target naturally and quickly for me.  Follow-up shots are on target quickly.  I know that when my life depends on it, I will be able to instinctively bring my gun to aim reliably.

This is where the XD comes in.  It "fits my hand" better.  In other words, when I bring it up to fire a shot, it is naturally on target for me.  I do not have to think about cocking my wrist down, as with a Glock.  I am sure that I could learn to reflexively hold the Glock, but that would require me to "unlearn" the 1911 and numerous other handguns I own (Browning High Power, Smith & Wesson revolvers, etc).

So, the long answer is - get the one that fits your hand the best.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#42]
I own/have owned both. It really boils down to one thing.....grip angle. If the grip of one is more natural than the other, then get that one and you cannot go wrong.

For the record, I have owned the XD Service and Compact and now have a G19c. With that said, my USPs are better than the XD and the Glock .

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:58:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an
However, got to agree that the rest of triburst1's points are valid for the G19.

It is more natural for most people. The only reason some people don't like it is because they have become accustomed to the less natural angle of other pistols.

The angle of the GLOCK is designed to work with the human body. Try this, take a GLOCK and a pistol with a straighter grip angle such as a 1911. Point both pistols, strong hand only, at eye level, in a firing position. Look at the outside of your wirst in a mirror. The pistol with the straighter grip will force you to break your wrist, the GLOCK fits right into the angles of your hand, wrist, and arm.

If you take a new or novice shooter who doesn't have a lot of experience with either design, and have them point fire at a man sized target with both pistols, they will almost always hit better with the GLOCK.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess again slick. I do not think Glocks are perfect (nobody has made the perfect gun yet or even come close IMO) but I bought the XD honestly hoping it would be the "Improved Glock" its trying to be but in the end, its simply not.

Quoted:
But to say Glocks are 10X better than XD’s… well that's just… Bull #%@*!

Well what would you prefer? 5x better? 2.5x better? In the end the Glock is still better so what does the percentage matter?

Quoted:
I couldn't agree less with you, but than I don’t have too.  That's what is so great about America we have choices here!

Well I will agree with that but just make sure you base your choices on something substantial. My opinion is based off of 15 years with Glock and close to 2 years with an XD. All the Internet BS aside, the only way to know a gun is to spend some time with it. The only way to honestly compare two different guns is to spend time with both side-by-side. I do not think the SA is a piece of shit but the only area were I have found the XD to be superior to the Glock is the grip. YMMV

Hell, don't take my word on it. Neither gun is all the expensive so buy both and make up your own mind.

cgv69, I apologize for calling you a cool aid drinker. If that upset you then again, I apologize. It was in jest.  If you like the Glocks ... great!  Enjoy what you like.  For me the XD fits my hands better, point of aim seems better, it’s one of the most reliable guns out of the box that I've every shot and is dead accurate. There are allot of holsters for them, allot of sights, and mags.  Just trying to let “eyxxx” know that the X’s have more to offer than just a grip.  The XD is what it is and so is the Glock.  If you can shot both do it.  If you can own both and want them do it.   I’ve only held the Glock in my local fun store.  I didn’t like the way it felt in my hand, but I won’t put it down for that.   Anyway God Bless and have a great day!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

It is more natural for most people. The only reason some people don't like it is because they have become accustomed to the less natural angle of other pistols.

The angle of the GLOCK is designed to work with the human body. Try this, take a GLOCK and a pistol with a straighter grip angle such as a 1911. Point both pistols, strong hand only, at eye level, in a firing position. Look at the outside of your wirst in a mirror. The pistol with the straighter grip will force you to break your wrist, the GLOCK fits right into the angles of your hand, wrist, and arm.

If you take a new or novice shooter who doesn't have a lot of experience with either design, and have them point fire at a man sized target with both pistols, they will almost always hit better with the GLOCK.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
cgv69, I apologize for calling you a cool aid drinker. If that upset you then again, I apologize. It was in jest.  If you like the Glocks ... great!  Enjoy what you like.  For me the XD fits my hands better, point of aim seems better, it’s one of the most reliable guns out of the box that I've every shot and is dead accurate. There are allot of holsters for them, allot of sights, and mags.  Just trying to let “eyxxx” know that the X’s have more to offer than just a grip.  The XD is what it is and so is the Glock.  If you can shot both do it.  If you can own both and want them do it.   I’ve only held the Glock in my local fun store.  I didn’t like the way it felt in my hand, but I won’t put it down for that.   Anyway God Bless and have a great day!

No problem. I just wanted to be clear that I'm not a cool aid kind of guy. Be it Glock, Colt or anybody else's

We all tend to get over zealous making\defending our opinions. No harm, no foul
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

You are a prime example. Try the wrist test, it works, even if you don't want to admit it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

Uhh, i think you have it backward.

Edit, in an effort to head off the next logical reply from triburst: I did try it and you are still wrong.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

Edit, in an effort to head off the next logical reply from triburst: I did try it and you are still wrong.

He does have it backward, its just that the the kool-aid he has been drinking is extra strong.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:57:10 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
More natural grip angle.

only if you're an

He does have it backward, its just that the the kool-aid he has been drinking is extra strong.

No Kool-Aid here, I have tried to like more glamorous pistols and failed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top