Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 2:47:16 PM EDT
How do they work?  I mean, Ok, so you get one, you build one, then what?  Do you still have to register as normal or what?  It would have no serial number, correct?  How would you register it?  Sorry for the question, but I really would like to get one, but I want to know how it works before I buy one.  Thanks.

-Kevin
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't have to "register" it.  You don't even have to put a serial number on it (but it's a good idea).

The only thing is, it's yours and you're really not supposed to be selling them or making them for anyone but yourself.  That doesn't necessarily mean you're stuck with it forever -- it's possible to serialize it and register it with the ATF if you wish to sell it.  

Here are two that I built up a few years ago.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Unfortunatly NY state has no sence of humor when it comes to unlicensed pistols. The moment you create a firearm as defined by NY state law, you must register the pistol and put it on your license. 80% rifles are ok because you don't have to register rifles in NY.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:08:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You don't have to "register" it.  You don't even have to put a serial number on it (but it's a good idea).

The only thing is, it's yours and you're really not supposed to be selling them or making them for anyone but yourself.  That doesn't necessarily mean you're stuck with it forever -- it's possible to serialize it and register it with the ATF if you wish to sell it.  

Here are two that I built up a few years ago.

grahamcracka.dns2go.com/kmcustom1911-b.jpg

grahamcracka.dns2go.com/kt-tactical2.jpg

Nice, Ken:   What'd you use to cut the slide rails?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Unfortunatly NY state has no sence of humor when it comes to unlicensed pistols. The moment you create a firearm as defined by NY state law, you must register the pistol and put it on your license. 80% rifles are ok because you don't have to register rifles in NY.

With registering, does it need to be serialized?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Nice, Ken:   What'd you use to cut the slide rails?

Thanks.  I used a 1/16" slitting saw in an arbor.  I made two passes per side and it came out ready for lapping.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#6]
You must have a serial number to register, but the good news is you can make one up. 007, 23 Skadoo, NCC1701, anything you like.

Quoted:

Quoted:

With registering, does it need to be serialized?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top