Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
Was looking around abit and read up on the YB 1*. Now I noticed that the price between the custom 1* and the factory SA TRP are very similar. The 1* is even based on the mil-spec SA. How many would prefer the factory TRP over the custom 1* even though the price is comparable? I know that they do have some differences and alot of this is personal preference, but with prices being relatively the same, who would still buy a upper end factory gun over a gun that has been done up by a notable smith? I am really just using these 2 models as an example. You can plug in any 2 or 3 guns you wish. I'm thinking for the same money, I would want something that a good custom guy is doing just for me as compared to a factory guy just trying to stock shelves. BTW, since I brought it up, what are the opinions on the 1* package. Thanks,  Terry
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:45:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Of the two choices in your example, I would choose the Yost 1* over the SA TRP hands down.  However, I also spent the big bucks a couple months ago for one of the last ADCO Spec Rock River Arms 1911s and have not purchased a 1* yet.  So at the risk of using the old cliche...it's situationally dependent.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yost-Bonitz.   Mainly because that's what I hope my next one is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#4]
+1,000 on the Yost...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:26:07 PM EDT
[#5]
What is Yost's current turnaround time for the *1?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I absolutely love my 1*.  It is the best 1911 I have ever shot.   Mine rides in my holster on a daily basis.  The basic package has everything I wanted in a carry gun and nothing I didn't.  I would reason to say that the gun is more accurate than I am.  Also I like the idea of one person working on my gun from start to finish.  The turnaround for mine this time last year was like 5 months but I had a few extras added in.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If you can afford it get the Yost. While the TRP does receive more hand fitting than a SA "Loaded" model it is not a custom or semi-custom pistol by any means. The Yost is a pure custom. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a TRP which I love, but I will concur on getting a Yost.  

The only thing that was kinda intimidating for me on the true custom builds is trying to figure out what I want, what I really need and what is feasible...

Those unknowns in my book made the TRP a good start for a quality 1911 which has allowed me to get a handle on some features that I would like in a custom build.  As I get to play with more and more 1911's along with figuring out how I use and shoot my 1911 I'm getting a better idea of what exactly I want in a custom build and have started the list of what I want in a custom 1911, but first things are first and I still need to find the series 70 on which it will be built...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Yost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top