Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2006 11:15:21 PM EDT
Does anyone know if you can buy a Mark 23 with tritium sights?  I don't see any dealer adds that lists it as a spec.  Seems stupid to sell an "offensive gun (stupid claim)" without these type of sights.

Anyone recommend a good dealer who has this configuration with extra mags? fake supressor?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
i think that they all come standard with target sights....

check out CDNN investments--they had some listed in thier catalog for less than $1900 i think

they also sell MK23 mags, and you can find mags at other places....

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:28:10 AM EDT
[#3]
What is it about the Mk23 that makes it worth $2000 compared to a USP Tactical, or any other pistol for that matter?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Better get a Mk23 ASAP... from what I hear they are being discontinued. I wish I got one when I had the chance.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:21:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What is it about the Mk23 that makes it worth $2000 compared to a USP Tactical, or any other pistol for that matter?

The chest thumping ability at the local range would be my guess.    

Quite honestly, as a H&K owner & lover, I wouldn't keep a 23 if someone gave it to me.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Mark 23's smoke the shit out of just about any other handgun i've ever shot, my MK23 put 5 rounds of wolf 45 into a sub 1'' group from 25 yards, (no i wasn't shooting it at the time, but i did personally witness it) I don't claim that it could do it everytime, but just doing it once is saying something about the accuracy, and they are built like tanks, can't break the things. I bought mine slightly used (safe queen)for $1700, if I found another at that price, i'd own two.

Gotta have the hands for it though, if you know what I mean
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

from HK
Threaded O-ring barrel with polygonal bore profile
• Match grade trigger
• One piece machined steel slide
• Frame mounted decocking lever and separate ambidextrous safety lever
• Can be carried “cocked and locked” with the safety lever on
• Patented HK recoil reduction system
• Corrosion resistant blued finish
• Special Maritime Surface coating
• Oversized trigger guard for use with gloves
• Proprietary mounting grooves for installing accessories
• Ambidextrous magazine release lever
• Extended slide release
• Extractor doubles as a loaded chamber indicator
• Patented Lock-Out Safety device
• Limited Lifetime warranty

and the cool factor as well as thats its NOT just a suped up USP (like the Tactical is) and that its in less demand and more limited production (i  think that its been discontinued too)
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Its stupid reliable as a combat handgun should be, and stupid accurate as a target handgun should be.  Tough combo.  Worth the money? .....  I'd get a USP Tac personally, it will do all the Mk23 will do, cheaper, for 99.9% of owners out there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Match grade trigger that I love.  Threaded bbl ( I plan on getting a silencer when I am back in Ohio).  And.....I love the feel of it in my hand.  Perfect fit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered one from my dealer, and yes they are discontinued, but HK has the tan frames in stock, and they are selling them at big discounts. The all black ones may be found at some vendors, but I didn't want to take the chance and wait , and not take advantage of the price difference.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:04:20 AM EDT
[#11]
check with www.ccfa.com.  that is where i bought hk night sights for my MK23
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Where might the discounted tan ones be found?

Scott
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
My dealer is getting it directly from HK, will be here Monday, $1650.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:59:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

That is a good price for NIB one.

Who knows the tan might be worth more than black ten years from now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Any chance he would want to order another tan one up and send it to my FFL?

Scott
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I will ask him tomorrow
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#17]

IM sent.

Bigfeet
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Meprolight makes adjustable tritium sights for the Mk23/USP Tac.  All you need to change them is a brass punch and hammer.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The Mk23 would be an OK range toy if you are into that sort of thing. I think of handguns as a weapon of convenience, and as such, I don't have much use for pistols that are too large to carry concealed.

I consider the Mk23 to be in the same class as Desert Eagles and S&W .500 mag revlovers.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I consider the Mk23 to be in the same class as Desert Eagles and S&W .500 mag revlovers.

May you burn in H&K hell for all eternity for that remark.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Had do have never shot one.  Or a .500 S&W for that matter.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I never said I didn't like the HK, or the .500 for that matter. Actually, I have on shot the Mk23 on many occasions.  While it is a very well made, accurate pistol, it is too large to be concealed, and thus doesn't make a very useful weapon for civilians. It is a nice gun, just more of a range toy like the Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I never said I didn't like the HK, or the .500 for that matter. Actually, I have on shot the Mk23 on many occasions.  While it is a very well made, accurate pistol, it is too large to be concealed, and thus doesn't make a very useful weapon for civilians. It is a nice gun, just more of a range toy like the Desert Eagle.

Okay, I think I know where you are coming from now.  I thought  you were saying they are in the same class of quality as the desert eagle,  not size.  My bad.

I can conceal my Mk23 just fine though.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Okay, I think I know where you are coming from now.  I thought  you were saying they are in the same class of quality as the desert eagle,  not size.  My bad.

I can conceal my Mk23 just fine though.  

Somehow this thread got hijacked from asking about adjustable night sights to concealability. Funny how that works.

Sorry for any problems. Mark 23 owners don't say that they have the best weapon but they're just very protective. We also don't feel that they are "toys" but tools. Damn good ones at that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I only have one thing to add to this thread.
Just shoot one , and you will know why
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if you can buy a Mark 23 with tritium sights?  I don't see any dealer adds that lists it as a spec.  Seems stupid to sell an "offensive gun (stupid claim)" without these type of sights.

Anyone recommend a good dealer who has this configuration with extra mags? fake supressor?

They could easly sell them like that but the military contract for the socom wanted a weapon
that did not have to be fully concealed for any kind of night ops. With tritium sights when trying to disappear in the dark ,those sights are like flares.
The socom was issued with a LAM infrared laser
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#27]
That sounds like BS to me, how hard would it be to cover up those tiny little dots when you wanted to (like their even that bright anyways) and then you could have them when you do need them. NVG's are not the answer to every situation, sometimes they are more of a liability than an asset. And a non-IR laser flashing around would be just as revealing (if not more so) than tritiums.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:11:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
That sounds like BS to me, how hard would it be to cover up those tiny little dots when you wanted to (like their even that bright anyways) and then you could have them when you do need them. NVG's are not the answer to every situation, sometimes they are more of a liability than an asset. And a non-IR laser flashing around would be just as revealing (if not more so) than tritiums.

Well, then call up the DOD and tell them they screwed up.

NVG's+ IR lasers.

Thats how they deploy rifles/carbines at night as well.  Seems to be working just fine too.  Might as well apply the same principles to the MK23.  Anyone know how NVG's and night sights work anyways?  Might create some issues.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#29]
However, if you really want night sites, I think trijicon can install them for you.  They drill out the wide dots and install their vials of tritium in their place.  From what I understand all you have to do is send them your slide.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#30]
No, no, no, I am not proposing that you use the tritiums with your NVG's, just that in some situations (dawn, dusk, well lit city street) many NVG's are not really deployable yet, but standard non-tritium sights could become difficult to use well. Then there is always the tunnel vision issues when using NVG's (I have no tactical NVG experience so I might just be talking out of my ass here). In general, don't even NVG equipped troops take them off and use lights for CQB? I am not saying that the IR/NVG combo doesn't have a place, but I think it's going a little overboard to not have tritiums sights because they might reveal you uber stealthy/badass ninja self.

Personally I think every weapon in the inventory should have a set of tritium sights, there are alot of people who don't get NVG's and IR because the military simply cannot afford to pay $3,000+ for every soldier, but they certainly can afford the 50 bucks for a set of tritiums. These prices assume some sort of volume discount.

ETA: And the DOD screws up all the time, nice MK23 by the way, what light do you use, i'm looking for a good light assembly for mine. Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:48:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Well,  I got my MK23 a couple of weeks ago from Erwin.  It's sweet.  3 LEO mags and a fake suppressor, all with case and pouches.  Me Likey!

In a couple of months I'll get my light from surefire.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:58:56 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Mark 23's smoke the shit out of just about any other handgun i've ever shot, my MK23 put 5 rounds of wolf 45 into a sub 1'' group from 25 yards, (no i wasn't shooting it at the time, but i did personally witness it) I don't claim that it could do it everytime, but just doing it once is saying something about the accuracy, and they are built like tanks, can't break the things. I bought mine slightly used (safe queen)for $1700, if I found another at that price, i'd own two.

Gotta have the hands for it though, if you know what I mean

No kidding.

The Mk 23 is frickin' HUGE!!

and weighs in @ 2.42 pounds, compared to the USP45 which weighs in @ 1.74 and the USP Tactical @ 1.8 ((Source)

Thats over a half pound difference and in a hangun.............feels like a lot more

and is 2 inches longer.

No doubt a man's gun
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#33]
I have shot one with a AAC suppressor on it. The suppressor gave me more grins that the pistol did. Too big, too bulky.

The best USP platform pistol is the compacts.

The Mk23 is an OK gun...I would never spend the money on one....but I will get a suppressor!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
No, no, no, I am not proposing that you use the tritiums with your NVG's, just that in some situations (dawn, dusk, well lit city street) many NVG's are not really deployable yet, but standard non-tritium sights could become difficult to use well. Then there is always the tunnel vision issues when using NVG's (I have no tactical NVG experience so I might just be talking out of my ass here). In general, don't even NVG equipped troops take them off and use lights for CQB? I am not saying that the IR/NVG combo doesn't have a place, but I think it's going a little overboard to not have tritiums sights because they might reveal you uber stealthy/badass ninja self.

Personally I think every weapon in the inventory should have a set of tritium sights, there are alot of people who don't get NVG's and IR because the military simply cannot afford to pay $3,000+ for every soldier, but they certainly can afford the 50 bucks for a set of tritiums. These prices assume some sort of volume discount.

ETA: And the DOD screws up all the time, nice MK23 by the way, what light do you use, i'm looking for a good light assembly for mine. Any recommendations?

I do not have a light on mine right now.  Once a decent adapter comes out, I'll probably get a surefire for it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#35]
The LAM also has a visible laser...

Forgot about that one.  Whether or not you're a fan, when used correctly, I'm sure they do a nice job of aiming in low light.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
my MK23 put 5 rounds of wolf 45 into a sub 1'' group from 25 yards, (no i wasn't shooting it at the time, but i did personally witness it)

i do it regularily with my tactical and vortex.  whole mag though.  wish the tactical had the silent decocker and ambi controls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top