Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:29 AM EDT
Mostly for the range but  I want something pretty robust and that I could possibly CCW.  I don't want a compact 9mm but not a full-size either (if that makes any sense)

I have read mixed reviews about the S&W 3rd generation autos.  Many people say they are very underrated but others swear they won't own one.  I'm trying to figure out if that is based on real world experience or feelings over some S&W decisions made in the 90's

Thanks for your input

ETA

I did a search of some of the previous posts.

I already have some SIGs
I don't shoot Glocks
I have CZ75

I'm just looking for something different than what I already have
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I hanvent been impressed by any smith semi centerfires.  I'd look into something fun like a baby eagle/jericho, FN Hi-Power, or whatever loveable oddball you find at a shop.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I would get another CZ 75 in compact or a P01 or learn how to shoot a Glock. There is also Ruger, Witness, or you could get a 9mm 1911.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Smith semi-autos don't work for me because they feel terrible in my hand, but Glocks do- go figure.  If they weren't so damn uncomfortable I'd get a 3rd gen S&W.

Other oprions: HK (their compacts are mid-sized), Springfield XD, FN P-9, Styer M9A1.

Cheers
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:37:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think those 3rd generation Smith autos are rather underated. I have a M5903 which
is like a M5906 except it has an alloy frame.  I kind of like it.

It is not my first choice in handguns but it is a pretty decent gun. I find it very SIG like in the feel (like a cross between a P228 and P226) of the gun.

While I won't be replacing my SIGS and 1911s with these guns, the 3 Smith autos I have
will stay with me.  I think anyone who gives them a chance will usually like them and the
prices for used ones are so low ($300 and under)these days it makes sense to have one as an extra gun.

I  think most of Smith reputations in their autos comes from problems with the 1st and 2nd
generation guns and the bad rep of the Sigma.  Most people who actually own a 3rd gen Smith
will  like them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Most people who actually own a 3rd gen Smith
will  like them.

That is the key point. Get one, most are police trades that were hardly shot. If you get one with the hard plastic S&W grips, throw them in the trash and get a hoque, night and day differnece in how it feels. Mec-gar makes 17rd mags for them for about $25.

Early 3rd gens has a proprietary rear sight cut, later ones were cut for novak units. The trigger reset is very short and fast and is one reason that specially tuned 59xx series are quite competitive in competition.

Aftermarket parts and accessories are far and few between but aside from the grip and maybe an extended mag button, none are really needed.

I have four 3rd gens so far and all have been great deals and very reliable with my only problem arising in my 4516-1 from some of the worst handloads I had ever had the misfotune of shooting.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think those 3rd generation Smith autos are rather underated.

+1

They have a nice feeling grip, IMO. These are not to be confused with the models 910/Sigmas/Chief Specials, etc.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Great SS guns for a good price.  My 3rd gen is a police trade-in 6946 and is 100% reliable and you can get a straight or curved back strap for thier guns.

Buy it and enjoy shooting it!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I've owend most of the thrid gen S&W's out there.  They're a good gun IMO.  I carry a pre-rail 3913 TSW.  The 5906 is a strong and reliable auto.  They're plenty accurate as well, and mags are cheap.

About the only drawback would be the weight.  It's all Stainless, so there's nil for recoil, but it's pretty heavy for carrying.  Great price usually though.  

I'd say they're underrated.

Ross
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:51:18 PM EDT
[#10]
5903 is a lot lighter than 5906.

IMO, these guns were dumped in masse by PDs when they went to .40 in the early to mid 1990s, .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top