Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/29/2002 5:13:13 AM EDT
I have my CCL and currently own a Kel-Tec P-32. I have had no problems with it until recently. I decided that I could live with a slightly larger gun and maybe move up a caliber.

What is out there in regards to pocket pistols? My requirements are that it be an automatic and fits comfortable in a front, jeans pocket. As far as caliber I'd like a minimum of .380. I would prefer a single action as opposed to DAO.

I know that there are bigger pistols out there that are real good ccw's but I want something that I am comfortable carrying. A big(ger) pistol I am not. I had a Beretta .380 and a Taurus P-111 which I would only carry under a heavy coat.

I was looking at a Colt pocket 9 and a Walther PPK.

Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
While looking I'd suggest that you check out two other models. Check out the SiG 230/232 and the Bersa Thunder. The Bersa Thunder may be the best bargain going out there right now.

One other that should certainly be on your short list is the Makarov. The Bulgarian Makarovs are cheap and the East German Makarovs are as nice as anything being sold at any price.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 5:39:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I think the Colt Mustang should fit your criteria.  I don't know if they have been discontinued or not.  The Makarov is a good solid gun about which nothing negative can be said except that it's a little big for a pocket gun.

There is always the Walther PPK and the FEG PA63 as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the P-32 that bad so you wouldn't even consider it's bigger brother, the P-11?
Out of curiosity, what's up with the P-32?
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 7:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The P-32 is an awesome gun from a size standpoint and until now was reliable as hell. I am having some failure to extract problems. Usually 2-3 jams per mag. The case comes halfway out of the chamber then the extractor must skip off the rim.

I sent it back to Kel-tec and they replaced a bunch of parts and supposedly test fired it. When I got it back the first round failed ot eject.

I was told by thier tech support that I need to put 100 rds thru it to break it in. ???

Maybe the solution is to press on and get the P-32 fixed. ideally the P-32 would be a "summer" gun and I can get a slightly bigger gun for cooler weather carry.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
How about a Beretta 9000 in 9mm?  I'm not familiar with this weapon myself but it does look rather small but maybe not as small as you would like.  Just a thought.
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 2:43:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Usually 2-3 jams per mag.

Welcome to the club.

supposedly test fired it.

Supposedly is right.  Mine was missing the slide stop spring the last time I got it back, and if they had test fired it, they would have noticed that.  Also, it was as clean as it was when I sent it in.  They didn't test fire mine, even after promising to do so.z
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2002 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a real fan of toy auto's. I like the big frames and extra capacity clips.  I have many friends who are cops and they find the small calibers, .22/.25/.32/.380, to be not that effective. I took my cue from them and for a hide gun and, back when I needed to carry, I carried .38 snub police special.  Would recommend S&W or Charter Arms both have blocks on the hammer so if you drop it you won't blow a hole in your leg.  Soft sweade clip holster down the back.  "I'm getting my wallet. Don't shoot.." BAMMMMMM!

Carry guns have two purposes, intimidate or exterminate.  The smaller auto's have issues doing either.  The average mugger has had more small frame .25s pointed at them than Carter has liver pills and regardless if it's a .380 the impression is .25.  Had an HPD buddy shot three times in the chest with .25 and kicked the assalants ass for doing it.  .38 Snub intimidates and loaded with siver jackets can really get the job done if needed.

Couldn't talk you into a good full frame 9mm or .45, huh?
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:54:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I generaly have 2 types of carry situations.

One type is general carry, just to have it in case. In this case I am usually in low risk environments and want something that wont be noticed as I go about everyday tasks. I had my Kel tec for that. A .32 is better than nothing.

The other situation is if I am going to an area that are not that friendly. In this case I don't mind being hampered by a bigger gun. I have a Taurus PT-111 in 9mm, which isn't too big and shoots quite well. I use that if I am going to a "seedy" area.

I guess I am looking for something in the middle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you considered the Kahr PM9 or MK9 in 9MM?

www.kahr.com/
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 11:48:21 PM EDT
[#11]
CJK440, if you buy good leather (belt and holster) you shouldn't have a problem carrying a handgun. I can carry a full sized 1911A1 or smaller handgun all day without it being a hassle. I wear mostly loose polo shirts etc. or a sweat shirt/sweater in cool weather. The best bang for the buck in a slightly larger caliber handgun is a Makarov. How would I carry it? I have a Dillon IWB that works well.

Another option for you might well be a S&W air weight in 38 Special. You could use an Uncle Mike;s pocket holster and hardly notice it. Remember what has been said: "Carrying a handgun isn't meant to be comfortable only comforting."

What do I regularly carry? In warm weather I carry a Stainless Kahr K9 and in the cold a S&W Model 457. They work for me.

Best and regards,

Richard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top