Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/9/2006 7:01:15 PM EDT
How are they reliability and accuracy wise?
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
they are pretty reliable, accuracy is decent (combat accuracy, but definitly not target grade--unless its the bull .22s)

the only problems i have seen were mag related (weak springs), but the guns themselves ran fine

decent firearms for the price
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Overbuilt, very rugged, sometimes not the prettiest or slimmest out there, but they flat out run.

Over 15,000 rounds through my P89DC without a single failure of any kind, ever. And, that's not uncommon amongst people who own them. Bulky, ugly, utterly dependable.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently picked up a P345 and it is fantastic. It is as accurate as any other polymer framed gun I have owned or own and it is 100%reliable so far and I can get springs from  wolf if I have a problem. It also is very easy to bring the sights up on target fast for me for some reason and the grip is very comfortable. I like it as much as my SIG 220ST although the 220 is a little more accurate my Ruger has been more problem free. I had a 9mm that ran and ran. There is nothing at all wrong with them. If you like them as far as the grip and size I would highly recomend one. They are nice pistols and do not break the bank.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
my first pistol was a ruger p95d.  they are bulky but simple.  i have never had a problem with it relating to firing--only some slight spring issues.  it shoots straight as i can shoot it.  and their customer service is second to none.  

if you are looking for recommendations for pistols in that price range i would also like to suggest the cz75.  they are just as unbreakable and a bit more comfortable also.

if a rugged overbuilt pistol is what you want then go with the ruger.  you will not regret it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:32:57 AM EDT
[#5]
The Ruger P-series line of pistols seems to be the "red headed stepchild" of the industry.   They're not as "pretty" as some......not as "sexy" as others......

..............but they're built like a cast iron sewer cover and are just as reliable as anything else on the market!   They can digest +P+ ammo all day long.

My first handgun was a Ruger P-85 that I bought used.  She had been "run hard and put up wet" before I bought her....and I continued to shoot the ever-loving SHIT out of her! (yes, you can make your handgun smoke like a bump-fired AK! ).  I sold it to "upgrade" to other things, but she never let me down!  Not once!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
My first pistol was also a Ruger P95. Very reliable gun. A good friend just bought a Ruger P345; we went shooting Sunday. I had my Sig 220 with me. We were shooting steel plates @25 yds. He did just as well as I did accuracy wise.  You can check out more opinions on Rugers at handgunreview.com
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#7]
if you really want to know about rugers check out ruger forum
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
My P97DC is the most reliable pistol I own. Accuracy is on par for a service pistol in the $300-$500 range. It won't outshoot my Kimber Eclipse Target, but it wasn't meant to either.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:38:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Ruger P series are good solid handguns.  Probably the most reliable in their price range.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:40:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Skip the Ruger put the same money in a CZ-75 much much better gun, Ruger Semi-auto centerfires are the red headed step child for a reason they arent as good as a lot of other options that are out there.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually, the Army awarded Ruger with a contract for a few thousand P95's. They very popular for LE use where I am from, and are used almost exlusively by my hometown PD and Sheriff's dept.
The P95 doesn't have NM accuracy, but its certainly on a par with the Beretta 92 or SiG 226 which cost twice as much. In the price range, they are unbeatable. My best friend, who is a wicked shot with a handgun, rapidly empty 15 rounds of Ultramax 9mm FMJ's into a yield sign at 30  yards.All 15 rounds where in the white triangle, no kidding.*this was done on private property with

a legally procured sign from a friend who worked for the DOT*Its the single most amazing thing I have seen done with a handgun.Its certainly accurate enough to shoot Minute of Badguy. Ruger makes excellent handguns which are rugged, reliable and decently priced. The only thing I don't like about the P95 is the grip. When your hand gets sweaty, it gets slick. There are rubber slip-on grips you can buy, which IMO would be mandatory. The P95 is an excellent gun and is every bit as good of a defensive handgun as a Sig, HK or Beretta which costs twice as much. Don't let the price fool you, its a first rate, top tier defensive handgun. There is a local gunstore selling DAO P95's with stainless slide for 225.00, I think I will have to buy one, it would compliment my Mini 14 nicely. I would have no reservations about using a P95 for my carry weapon, I am convinced of there hell and back relability.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:25:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Skip the Ruger put the same money in a CZ-75 much much better gun, Ruger Semi-auto centerfires are the red headed step child for a reason they arent as good as a lot of other options that are out there.

The CZ is a good gun, but no better. Just different.

I own both, and neither have any problems but neither are clearly better than the other. Ruger's autos are tanks, it's not like the CZ is built better, or is more reliable. At least in my case, they are on par (75 vs. 89DC) accuracy wise.

It's a coin toss, with personal preference being the key. I don't know of ANY gun in the sub-$400 range that is as consistently durable and reliable as the Ruger line, so in that regard they have no equal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:19:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Had a P94, which was ok. Also had a P90 which was incredibly accurate, traded on a Colt. Wished I didn't. Now have a P97DC. Another gun that is ultra reliable, and incredibly accurate.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I had a P97 that was ok.  Never failed, even when a dumbass buddy of mine fired a .40sw round out of it.  He later bought that pistol so I could afford a Sig P220.  Rugers are cheap, and reliable, and some of them (seems hit and miss) are really accurate, but Rugers company politics and Bill Rugers involvment in the AWB, along with his statement that and honest man didn't need more than 10 rounds in a gun, will keep me from ever buying a Ruger again.  Shame too, they make several guns I'd really like to own.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I own both, and neither have any problems but neither are clearly better than the other. Ruger's autos are tanks, it's not like the CZ is built better, or is more reliable. At least in my case, they are on par (75 vs. 89DC) accuracy wise.

It's a coin toss, with personal preference being the key. I don't know of ANY gun in the sub-$400 range that is as consistently durable and reliable as the Ruger line, so in that regard they have no equal.

There is more to being a good gun than going bang everytime you pull the trigger.
A CZ-75 is a well deigned balaced pistol.  The Ruger pistol were made only with durabilty in mind They are overly  bulky and clunky.  The CZ-75 comes from the factory with a decent trigger the Rugers do not.  Besides being gritty the Rugers have an extremely long DA trigger pull.  The CZ-75 was designed with Shootability in mind (meaning all aspects of shooting)  The Ruger was designed with going Bang in mind.

I dont look at what the Military or what a Police Department is issuing to be the acid test of what the best shooting pistol.  I think watching what the top shooters in the limited class USPSA/IPSC
or Even what the best IDPA shooters are using.  Not all Pistols are created equal.  As far as I am concerned if it isnt a 1911, Glock or CZ-75 its not something I am interested in for a centerfire pistol.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#16]
My P89 is buildt like a tank.  Several 1000 rounds and no failures of any kind.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is more to being a good gun than going bang everytime you pull the trigger.
A CZ-75 is a well deigned balaced pistol.  The Ruger pistol were made only with durabilty in mind They are overly  bulky and clunky.  The CZ-75 comes from the factory with a decent trigger the Rugers do not.  Besides being gritty the Rugers have an extremely long DA trigger pull.  The CZ-75 was designed with Shootability in mind (meaning all aspects of shooting)  The Ruger was designed with going Bang in mind.

I dont look at what the Military or what a Police Department is issuing to be the acid test of what the best shooting pistol.  I think watching what the top shooters in the limited class USPSA/IPSC
or Even what the best IDPA shooters are using.  Not all Pistols are created equal.  As far as I am concerned if it isnt a 1911, Glock or CZ-75 its not something I am interested in for a centerfire pistol.  

there are some valid points to be had there.  the ruger trigger pull does suck in da mode.  and there is no way to carry them in condition 1.  but i love my p95 and look at it in the same light as an ak47.  they are both built to shoot anything and keep going bang.  they are not meant to be super duper accurate but to have looser tolerances in order to deal better with dirt etc.  but it sems to me that if it isn't one of those 3 basic models of pistols that you ahve no interest.  and that is fair but makes it look like no matter how good another pistol is that you will say it is junk.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#18]
No a Sig is a great pistol well designed, well built etc. However it doesnt conform to my shooting style, Beretta M92 pretty good gun , Walther P99 same Springfield Xd good stuff.  But I will picj any of those over a S&W or Ruger Auto loader I think I would take a S&W wheel Gun over either of those two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top