Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:46:53 AM EDT
Saw these two plinker 22's at a shop last night and I'm thinking of getting one.  Based on looks and a little googling I'm leaning towards the Beretta.  I know the P22 is out there, but there's way too much discussion in the Walther forum on making them work.  Are there any other cheap semi-auto .22's out there?  I've seen a lot of people saying that the Rugers are hard to takedown and I don't much like the grip shape and overall looks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:57:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a ruger mkII with the 10" bull barrel and a Beretta Neos in 6" and they are both tack drivers.
The Neos is incredibly easy to field strip and the mkII as you said is a PITA in comparison.
I found the Ruger to be way more fussy when it came to ammo choices as far as stovepiping and jamming, the replacement of the OEM extractor with the Volquartsen extractors helped a little but is still fussy. The Neos has thus far eaten everything I fed it and has never jammed on me.
As far as grip shapes and angles go the Ruger will have more of a choice. The Neos grip will either work for you or won't.
If I could only have one it would be the Neos
eta: here is a side by side comparison and photo whorage:
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What do you think the odds are of finding one cheaper than $229 at a big gunshow?  Gunbroker has 'em for $208, but for $21 more I'll just buy one local.  
Thanks for the good response by the way.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What do you think the odds are of finding one cheaper than $229 at a big gunshow?  Gunbroker has 'em for $208, but for $21 more I'll just buy one local.  
Thanks for the good response by the way.

I haven't been to a gunshow in years so I don't know but I think Gunbroker or Gallery of guns will be your best bet.
eta: the local deal sounds better when you figure in the shipping and FFL fee
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:49:28 AM EDT
[#4]
my 22A is scary accurate, my only gripe is that I sometimes bump the mag release on the front of the grip while shooting.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont like the grip or feel of the Neos at all. It feels like some kind of funky space gun
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I've been back to the store.  I checked out every .22 semi auto they had.  I don't like the safety position on the Neos at all.  I'd say of the ones they had there, I liked the Browning Buckmark Camper the best.  I think that's the model.  The S&W 22A had a safety that was impossible to put back on and not that easy to switch off, too small I say.  
What's the concensus on the Buckmark?  Good shooter?  Easy to maintain?  Only reason I don't like it is no rail on top.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Buckmarks are excellent guns and are easy to take apart for cleaning.
if you want a built in scope rail just order it. They have several models.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Ok, I've been back to the store.  I checked out every .22 semi auto they had.  I don't like the safety position on the Neos at all.  I'd say of the ones they had there, I liked the Browning Buckmark Camper the best.  I think that's the model.  The S&W 22A had a safety that was impossible to put back on and not that easy to switch off, too small I say.  
What's the concensus on the Buckmark?  Good shooter?  Easy to maintain?  Only reason I don't like it is no rail on top.

I would highly recommend a Buckmark. I own the Camper model right now. I've owned two other models of Buckmarks. They have the best trigger of all .22's out there. Very accurate and fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I am now drooling!
Edit: Ouch, $395!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Buckmarks are excellent guns and are easy to take apart for cleaning.
if you want a built in scope rail just order it. They have several models.
www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051424m.jpg

What model Buckmark is that?  I've never seen that before. Is that a special version or a gunsmith special?
Looks like a  Desert Eagle made it with a Buckmark and this is the child of that pairing.....

Edited... Went to the Browning site and I have seen the new additions to the Buckmark line..... I like them!!!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I have had all the previous mentioned pistols in this thread.  I now shoot a smith 41 5.5inch (target & competition) and a ruger 4"(my field pistol, AKA the lawn mower gun).  If I were to pick between the neo and the 22a, I would choose the 22a hands down.  They are very accurate for under 200.  The only real design flaw I saw in the 22a is the recoil spring buffer.  It is not very robust and needs replacement after 5000rds or sooner.  (I sold mine when it had about 5k through it.)  There's my .02.  Take it for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one of the very first 22A's to come out. I have the 7 inch barrel and a ProPoint red dot sight. The accuracy on this gun is second to none! I have some .300 25 yard 5 shot groups with it.  My buddy likes it because of the red dot. Out to about 40-50 yards, what the dot is on is where it hits. I have shot a lot of 22 pistols and for the money this gun is a real bargain. I LOVE it. I also like the Rugers and the Buckmarks. Heck I likem all!! The Neo is a little to pricey and "plaything" looky feely for me.

Smith's customer Service is the best in the industry. I ordered this pistol when they were first advertised years back. I got it and had some problems with the spring. Called Smith and they put me on the line with one of the engineers that developed the gun. He could not believe I allready had one and said that they changed springs after the first couple hundred were shipped. He said he would next day me a care package. I did not really believe him and fifgured it would take weeks.
The very next day a courrier pulled up in the drive way with a packag from Smith. Been very pleased since.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am now drooling!
Edit: Ouch, $395!

www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051401m.jpg

Worth every penny.  FWIW, I have the 5.5 Target model (same as the one above, but with shrouds over the sights) that I bought for $400 cash.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top