Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
My wife recently took a firearms safety course that taught her how to shoot with both eyes open. I have never been taught formerly how to shoot like that. Any one have any info I can check out? I shoot ala the one eyed bandit method.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:14:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:19:33 AM EDT
[#2]
This most likely will not apply to you, but be aware there is a small percentage of the population (myself included) that has NO dominate eye. If you find you have a lot of trouble with eye dominance tests or "both eyes open" shooting, this may be the cause.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Any Professional Instructor (Military or LEO) SHOULD correct anyone who closes one eye.

You do realize that when you do this , you lose your Depth Perception?
(not to mention your peripheral vision)

A lot of good info here ---> homestudy.ihea.com/index.htm  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Any Professional Instructor (Military or LEO) SHOULD correct anyone who closes one eye.

+1
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
When I focuson the front sight I don't have depth perception any more. Correct?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

That's true to an extent. As I was stating above, there are some people who CANNOT shoot with both eyes open. Instructors who don't realize this but believe they have to correct everyone shooting with one eye have caused a lot of problems for myself and other shooters that lack a dominate eye.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
When I focuson the front sight I don't have depth perception any more. Correct?

Incorect.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

As I was stating above, there are some people who CANNOT shoot with both eyes open.

Yes, Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder are two who immediately come to mind. Aside from them, no one else I have ever seen cannot learn to shoot with two eyes if they try a variety of training aids/styles. The trick is in how its presented, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I was stating above, there are some people who CANNOT shoot with both eyes open.

Yes, Ray Charles & Stevie Wonder are two who immediately come to mind. Aside from them, no one else I have ever seen cannot learn to shoot with two eyes if they try a variety of training aids/styles. The trick is in how its presented, IMO.

How can someone with no dominant eye do this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top