Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 9:19:38 PM EDT
Seen a Berretta 3032 Tomcat  in the paper for sale for $250.  Comes with a black Uncle Mikes Sidekick holster.  

Want something for a "possible CCW" and maybe to teach someone to shoot.  If worse comes to worse, home/self defence (only if my AR fails).
Anybody have one? Good price?      
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
come on.....theres gotta be someone that can help.......
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I would only buy one new. To be honest, that's almost the price of a new one in my area in black.

The early ones had problems when they first came out. The newer ones are better. I would only get a new one to avoid this problem. You will not be covered under warranty otherwise.

I like the stainless version - the slide is a little thicker

Otherwise, great gun.

But, be aware that while it is a great CCW gun, it is not a gun to teach someone to shoot. It is too small. Small guns like that may be accurate at a reasonable distance, and are perfect for CCW. But, they are not usually that great of a range gun - ESPECIALLY to teach someone new to shoot.

U need a larger gun to teach someone - prefereably a full size 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#3]
well I guess not how to shoot, but more to "get the feel" of thr recoil.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Well, if U want a CCW weapon, it is great. I do not believe it is a good gun to introduce someone to shooting, though. Those tiny guns are usually a blowback design - so they will have more recoil than you would think. Plus, their small size magnifies this.

Most 380s (yes, I know it is a 32 we are talking about) have more recoil than a 9mm, because most are a blowback design. There is no extractor like the 9mms guns. Most people would assume the smaller caliber has less recoil, but it isn't always true.

I am thinking of even small 9mms - like a Glock 26 or Walther compact. I do not think any of these tiny guns, while terrific for concealed carry, are good to introduce someone to pistol shooting - not if you really expect to the person to like it and get into it further. Chances are, this will make them less interested.

I think the Berettah Cheetah 380 would be a decent, smaller gun, to introduce someone into pistol shooting. It is a blowback design, but is still a fair size. A Ruger 9mm semi auto, a CZ or a Taurus 92 would be great, fairly inexpensive, 9mm pistols that would be great learning tools that do not cost too much money. Of course, these are larger guns, though.

U can get a Ruger for around $300  - not much more than that Beretta Tomcat.

Getting back to only the Tomcat, though. As I said, I would not buy a used one, personally. If you MUST, shoot it first before purchasing - ask him to meet  at a local range - be prepared to cover the ammo cost and your fee, and insist that you get to try it first.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
yeah I woulda never thought about that blowback causing more recoil.  Thanks for the advice.  Guess I'll have to think about a little bit more.   Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top