Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2006 9:16:21 AM EDT
I traded my 1911 and need to know of the best way to ship it overnight.  Is USPS a no-go?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bueller....Bueller....
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Fed-Ex
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I traded my 1911 and need to know of the best way to ship it overnight.  Is USPS a no-go?

For another 1911 right!?!?

FedEx is very good.  USPS (being a Federal entity) only accepts from FFL's.  I've never used UPS.

edit: shpeling
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
USPS ships long guns only.  UPS doesn't ship handguns last I heard.  Fed-Ex requires them to be shipped next day at their extremely high rates- I paid forty something to ship six pounds of "machine parts" that looked a lot like a Hi-power and a 1911 second day via Fed-Ex.  I overinsure guns when I ship them too.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
USPS ships long guns only.  UPS doesn't ship handguns last I heard.  Fed-Ex requires them to be shipped next day at their extremely high rates- I paid forty something to ship six pounds of "machineD parts" that looked a lot like a Hi-power and a 1911 second day via Fed-Ex.  I overinsure guns when I ship them too.

edit:  didn't know about the long guns, good option to have.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#6]
FedEx overnight or if you have a reasonable FFL they can send it USPS priority.  You have to weigh the difference.  I use my FFL + USPS and it is like $20 total.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#7]
UPS ships handguns they just break it off in you for shipping.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:58:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I had to ship a handgun back to S&W for repairs and they told me to not tell UPS/FED EX that it is a handgun but to just tell them that it is machined parts.

eta: that's what I did and with zero problems
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I had to ship a handgun back to S&W for repairs and they told me to not tell UPS/FED EX that it is a handgun but to just tell them that it is machined parts.

eta: that's what I did and with zero problems

I work at a UPS Store and would really not recommend doing this. If it gets lost/damaged there's a good chance they will not honor the claim. Also, they have a right to inspect and open any package they choose and if they find out you lied to them there may be some consequences.

As long as you ship the gun throught the actual UPS/FedEx Customer Counter Center/Hub (not a UPS Store, FedEx Kinkos, PakMail, etc) and let them know it is a gun you should have no problems.

UPS Firearms Policy: www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/firearms.html

FedEx Firearms Policy : www.fedex.com/us/services/terms/us_main.html?/us/services/terms/popup_tc_us_body.html#firearms

I would also suggest printing out the appropriate policy statement and take it with you to expedite the shipping process.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I shipped one FedEx once and had no problems at all. It was about $45 each way though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:36:27 AM EDT
[#11]
my dad told me to strip the gun down and send the "parts" in 2 seperate packages.
imho if the package says that firearm wiithin ,its just not gonna make it.that would be like sending cash and saying there is 200 dollers in cash in this letter.daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   huh!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]
FedEx does not require hand guns to go overnight.  I have shipped several ground for 7-10 dollars.  I will not ever use UPS again if I can help it.  Their gun policy sucks.  This ricky rumor that hand guns have to go overnight is all over the place.  BTW I always insure my packages and list the contents.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top