Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2001 9:21:20 PM EDT
Well I finally got my packet back and have signed up to take the CHL class in November. Does anyone have some pointers, do's and don'ts for the class? I've been reading up on some of the laws involved, but not sure how much pre-study is required to sucessfully complete the class. Thanks for the help.....
Link Posted: 10/27/2001 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There is a book in there with all the rules and regulations. Read it. Several times BEFORE going into the classroom. The class session may not cover everything that is on the test. The instructor may get sidetracked telling war stories or somesuch. Dont take your weapon to class unless instructed to do so. Taking the class in two sessions may help retain the info a little better. At least you wont need an iron butt to sit through it all in one day. It wouldnt hurt to practice shooting a little the day before either. The course of fire is fairly easy but a little practice wont hurt anthing.

One last thing, take the first firing station on the left at the range. Nothing ruins your attempt at a perfect 250 score more than hot .45 brass bouncing off your shooting glasses and down your shirt from the guy on your left.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, if you've got a good instructor, and know how to handle a handgun, I wouldn't bother with preparation.  My instructor covered every question on the test in class.  Don't worry about the shooting either.  You can get enough points to pass at the 3 and 7 yard distances (i.e. you can miss all shots at 20 yards and still pass).
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 5:35:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'll second the notion that preparation isn't necessary for the TX CHL.  I thought the written and practical tests were simple.  With one small caveat; if you don't have much experience with fire arms safety, the liabilities of the improper use of force, and the justifications for the use of deadly force, you really ought to do much more preparation before you hit the streets carrying.  Of course you will have plenty of time after the CHL course before you receive your legal license to carry, so don't worry. My advice is to jump in with both feet and just do it, the course was easy and fun.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]
The written part is my main concern. Didn't know if they tried to trick ya up of if it was pretty straight forward. The practical part I have no worries. Went ahead and went through the practical the other night, all but one in the 5pt. But sounds like the class will be a piece of cake. Thanks for the replys......
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 8:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
PyschoAR,
When and where are you taking? My bride and I are going to Carter's Country on the 17th. We spoke to the guy that is gonna teach that weekend. It's 8 hours (iron butt), but the guy was super nice to my bride, and even me.

He explained the 170 pts you need to get through the firing portion. You could put all 50 in the 4 ring and still pass...5, 10 and 15 yds. ain't too tough...

Cheers
Link Posted: 11/10/2001 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I am taking it at the Bullet Trap in Plano. Took the written today and will be shooting Monday. Written part was a breeze. Just had to pay attention.

Definately an iron butt situation. 10hours in that chair was the hardest part. Pretty fun overall though.

Link Posted: 11/11/2001 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/11/2001 9:16:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey can you shoot the a .22 for your CHL?

I know, Iknow, Iknow...maybe a dumb question. But I had to ask just in case it ain't

No.. Texas CHL requires you shoot the competency course with a pistol or revolver of .32 caliber and above. If you shoot the course with a pistol (semi-auto) your license isn't restricted. Shoot it with a revolver and you're license will reflect that you're restricted to revolver carry only.

Rick
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Well just got back from the shooting portion, had a very nice jagged hole at 3yd and 7yd. Not sure what 15yd looked like, lost my hole when it went out there and the instructor wouldn't let us see our targets. I passed all the same. I am stoked, now I have to wait the 60days for the license, that's the only bummer.......
Link Posted: 11/12/2001 7:55:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well just got back from the shooting portion, had a very nice jagged hole at 3yd and 7yd. Not sure what 15yd looked like, lost my hole when it went out there and the instructor wouldn't let us see our targets. I passed all the same. I am stoked, now I have to wait the 60days for the license, that's the only bummer.......

It generally takes a max of 45 days to receive the license.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Sweet, 45 days beats the heck out of 60.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 12:10:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Congrats! I just took a renewal last year. I've been licensed for 5 years now. The biggest "perk" is walking into a gunstore knowing you don't have to go through NICS, and you can protect yourself and all that other junk.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top