Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:38:37 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Beretta M9.  Now, before anyone flames me for this type of pistol, I don't care if you don't like it.  I do.  I like it very much.  I'm more accurate with it, from what I can tell, then my 1911.  I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.  Plus I like the feel of it better.  And I like the price of practice ammo.

However, I have a problem that  I was hoping someone could shed some light on.  I have 3 - 15 round Beretta factory mags and the slide would not stay back about 1/2 the time after the last round.  Other pertinent info is this was the 1st 200 rounds I put through it and the mags.  My dad has an identical one and didn't have the problem.  Seems like it would be the mags fault but I tried one of my dad's mags also and it did it once with his mag.

Again, I really like this pistol and hope there is some kind of solution.  If anyone has any info that'd be great, thanks in advance.!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Here, this is for your pleasure:

Also, I was shooting WWB wally world 115 fmj.  FYI.  Tanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Where do you rest your thumb when shooting?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Rack the slide back with an empty mag installed.

Check to see if the follower sticks up enough to hold the slide back on each mag.

Check each surface that the hold-open contacts:

1) Frame
2) Slide (including it's groove in the slide)
3) Mag follower

The follower should move the hold-open tang the same distance on each mag.

You might put just one drop of oil on each contact surface of the hold-open device-it could be just a little too tight to work consistantly .

Perhaps a break-in of 500-1000 rounds is all you need. It could be that the hold-open device
is just a bit tight as it rides in it's hole in the frame.

You've bought a great pistol that will last you a lifetime. Every gun I've bought has has it's "issues". Except my SIG....
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I had the same problem with my friend's 92 until I realized I had my thumb resting on the release.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I recently purchased a Beretta M9.  Now, before anyone flames me for this type of pistol, I don't care if you don't like it.  I do.  I like it very much.  I'm more accurate with it, from what I can tell, then my 1911.  I'm sorry, that's just the way it is.  Plus I like the feel of it better.  And I like the price of practice ammo.

However, I have a problem that  I was hoping someone could shed some light on.  I have 3 - 15 round Beretta factory mags and the slide would not stay back about 1/2 the time after the last round.  Other pertinent info is this was the 1st 200 rounds I put through it and the mags.  My dad has an identical one and didn't have the problem.  Seems like it would be the mags fault but I tried one of my dad's mags also and it did it once with his mag.

Again, I really like this pistol and hope there is some kind of solution.  If anyone has any info that'd be great, thanks in advance.!!!!!

The 92's are set up to shoot the NATO 124Grain round; which is a pretty hot round. Much hotter that typical Wally-World 115-grain rounds. I had the same thing happen to me on a SIG P228; then I switched to more potent "carry" ammo and it would never happen. The cause was that the recoil springs were heavy enough to keep the slide from going all the way back to "lock". As the pistol got more and more rounds the recoil spring would lose some of its power and I was able to get the slide to lock open. But it didnt worry me one bit since this was only a range problem that would never happen in a defense situation, since i would normally shoot full-power loads.

Maybe the same thing is happening to you. A good way of telling if this is taking place is to manually rack the slide open. If it locks open maunally, then this is your problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the same problem with my friend's 92 until I realized I had my thumb resting on the release.

You know, I do hold high, maybe this is my problem. hmmmm...

Plus, mayday, I thought about that before you posted it too.  But my dad's wasn't having that problem.  And he does hold differently than I do.  Dang, I'll have to look into it.  

Mayday, I did want to get some of that winchester 124 grain NATO loadings.  

It will lock back with me pulling it back every time.

Lonewold223, good advice, I was trying to check it without the slide on to see if it would show me something but I may try your oil thing.  I can't see anything  wrong with it, or feel it.  

Thanks again guys, I have a feeling it's  my thumb.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I just checked it in my hands and I'm betting that it's my thumb.  I'll try it again at the range, mindfull of where my thumb is.  Thanks guys.!!!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Clean the shit out of it, make sure theres no grease on it.  Keep your thumb out of the way, and use better ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, btw, you picked a damn fine firearm.  No need to put up a disclaimer.  I've got so many rounds through mine I can't even try to guess anymore.  And guess what?  Not one failure.  Same can't be said for my 226 and CZ.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I would say check your thumbs when shooting or try extra power mag springs from Wolff. The 92 is certainly a fine handgun whether its a persons favorite or not. I personaly like my CZs better but I would trust my life with my 92 any time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top