Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 9:19:31 AM EDT
i posted earlier on a hk usp vs sig 220 situation.  i have a usp45 in stainless and i like it, but not being a pistol aficianado i didn't know the triggers were different on the different models.  

i'm used to rifle triggers that i've either worked on replaced.  two stage, single stage, whatever, as long as its a "good trigger" i'm ok with it...  after shooting crisp triggers i'm having a hard time using my usp45 without jerking it.  i also dispise the length of trigger pull.  is this the way it is in the pistol arena?  are the triggers significantly different on the expert or tactical HK compared to the standard usp45?  what about the Sig trigger?  do they have models that are "better" than the standard model and how so?

any help would be appreciated.  i don't have any locals with anything i can test drive, so i'm relying on net information.

thanks in advance!

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i posted earlier on a hk usp vs sig 220 situation.  i have a usp45 in stainless and i like it, but not being a pistol aficianado i didn't know the triggers were different on the different models.  

i'm used to rifle triggers that i've either worked on replaced.  two stage, single stage, whatever, as long as its a "good trigger" i'm ok with it...  after shooting crisp triggers i'm having a hard time using my usp45 without jerking it.  i also dispise the length of trigger pull.  is this the way it is in the pistol arena?  are the triggers significantly different on the expert or tactical HK compared to the standard usp45?  what about the Sig trigger?  do they have models that are "better" than the standard model and how so?

any help would be appreciated.  i don't have any locals with anything i can test drive, so i'm relying on net information.

thanks in advance!

s.tank

Yeah, I hate to break it to you but comparing rifle triggers to the feel of a trigger on a "service" pistol like the P220 or the USP is like comparing apples to oranges. USP's have, in my opinion, very creepy, gritty triggers with a  lot of stacking at the end. I have four Sig-Sauer pistols [P228, P220, P239 & P229DAK]. All have better triggers that a USP but the trigger travel is somewhat long, followed by the trigger getting a little heavier at the end of the pull.......right before it breaks. The trigger "reset" is also rather long on all SIG's. The P229DAK [Double Action Kellerman] is a long but VERY uniform and sweeet trigger pull. Its like a competition DOA revolver, where the trigger pull is the same throughout the entire pull, followed by a very clean break at the end. I think its a good combat trigger. The operator will not have a first-shot flyer with the DAK system.

I also have a H&K P7M8, it's perhaps the best trigger pull on a "service" pistol. You squeeze the cocking handle and the trigger pull is a VERY short and precise travel. Feels like an AR15 trigger to me. The trigger reset is extremely short, meaning that follow-up shots are fast.

I'd say the best trigger set-up can be found on custom 1911 45's. Even run of the mill Kimbers have excellent triggers. I had a LesBaer Monolith Commanche and the trigger is absolutely outstanding. VERY short, very controlled with a sharp break at the end...feels like a small glass rod breaking when the trigger reaches the end of the pull.

If you're an avid rifle shooter, I dont think you'll be happy with service pistol triggers....try a 1911 and see what you think. Many professionals who go in harms way carry 1911's to this very day.

Good luck my friend.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
mayday,

thanks for all the info and opinion.  i was beginning to wonder if i'd started wanting things i couldn't have...  i see these guys double tap targets all the time real quick and they leave a 1/2 inch between the holes...  i've tried and tried, and i can't do it.  maybe i'll never be able to draw and double tap with superb accuracy.  i'm not a professional and shoot only for joy, but none the less, i have a desire to do it well.  in wanting to shoot well, i figured the trigger and some parts on the average pistol could use refinement or exchange.  

maybe i'll try the 1911 or 2011.  i'd considered building a 2011 in .40SW but decided against it.  maybe a 2011 is the way to go.  the 1911 is ok, but my hands are big and whether there is capacity or not, i prefer the wider grip.  i think that's why i tend to favor my HK USP over the Sig.  

regardless, i'm still curious what a few others have to say, but thanks again "mayday" for taking some time to visit.

s.tank

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
the best HG triggers out there are definitly 1911 triggers (with some tuning), bar none

DA/SA triggers dont compare; but the SIG is better than the HK trigger
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
does anyone have experience with this "adjustable trigger" on the HK tactical model?  i see it advertised, but don't hear much about it...  

anyone?

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...I have four Sig-Sauer pistols [P228, P220, P239 & P229DAK]. All have better triggers that a USP but the trigger travel is somewhat long, followed by the trigger getting a little heavier at the end of the pull.......right before it breaks. ...

How old are your Sigs?  Recently (like in the last 3-4 years) Sig has been putting in very short mainsprings.  The newer spring makes for smooth travel, but a hard break at the end.  Older Sigs, (mine's from '97) have the longer mainsprings and the pull is a bit heavier, slightly more jerky, but it doesn't have the hard break.  A good 'smith can take that trigger, smooth it out and take off a lot of weight without getting that hard break.  MJD
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have heard good things about the match trigger found in the tactical. You could always take it to a gunsmith and have the spring lightened and get it all polished in there for a quick fix.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:03:04 AM EDT
[#7]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top