Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2006 8:41:33 PM EDT
Discuss please ..the wife wants one ..
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean the PPK/S?

Good gun if imported... Although you will catch the 'Calibers that start in 4' crew in here shortly, I tend to follow the 'Hit your target, and caliber is less of an issue' line of thought... The PPK/S is small, very accurate, reliable, and simple - as long as it doesn't bite your hand, and you can deal with the lack of a slide release (once it locks back on empty, you have to pull the slide back to drop it forward on the fresh mag, there is no lever ala 92FS or 1911)...  This version (which is a PPK top-end married to a PP grip, for compliance with the 68 small-pistol-import-ban) has the more conventional mag-release (whereas the original PPK had the release in the heel of the grip, not by the trigger, and both have the traditional Euro-style decocker/safety...

BAD if made by Smith & Wesson ('Made in the USA' Walthers are made by S&W, who did a pretty bad job, quality issues have been noted...)...

Your best bet if you get one is to pick up a GERMAN-MADE Walther off Gunbroker or similar (I think there might be one for sale in this site's Equipment Exchange right now)...

Final note: The PPK series does have a free-floating firing pin which is not 'stopped' when the safety is off (the design dates back prior to WWII, remember...), so one should NOT carry said pistol with a round in the chamber (except on 'Safe').... It does have a firing-pin BLOCK (to prevent it from firing if the hammer is struck), but the possibility of a ND if dropped on fire DOES exist...

PPK Info HERE -> www.gunsworld.com/walther_home_us.html
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:51:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I would try to find the gun you're interested in at rental range etc and have your wife actually shoot it and see what she says.  Or barring a rental gun, find someone that has one and ask them to shoot it.   Personally for me, those straight-blow back type guns(this includes the PP-series) have a recoil that is fairly substantial for the little 380ACP. And if she says she's good, then I would seriously look into buying one for her.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:42:01 AM EDT
[#3]
i found the sig p232 to sit in my hand better than the walthers.  it also has a more modern design which allows for condition 2 carry with no safety.  that pistol doesn't have any safeties but just a decocker.  also i found that blowback recoil with the .380acp has more bite than any other pistol i have fired in any caliber.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:57:08 AM EDT
[#4]
RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY

I purchased a PPK\S earlier this year - contstant FTE, FTF - problems - could not get through a single magazine without a problem.  I was so disappointed beucase I had shot PP and PPK's that I loved.  If you can find a good imported one do it; otherwise go with the SIG.

IM for more info.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:07:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the 2005 PPK/s version from Smith and Wesson and it functions great.  It doesn't have the bite like the older ones do.  I have only used Winchester fmj ammo from wal-mart and some remington hollow points and have not had any fte, ftf, etc...  So far it has functioned perfectly.  I traded in a piece of crap bersa thunder 380 on the PPK/s and could not be happier.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:37:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad to hear that someone has had a positive story with that venerable classic - would still love one - just not the Smith version.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#7]
It will take the skin off larger handed folks like me and I always thought the grips were a POS. They are cheap plastic and always coming loose and moving around. If you try and tighten them up you crack the plastic. The most important thing to remember about these guns is you have to keep them well lubed to run right. Almost to the point of being "over" lubed. You also must maintain a firm grip when firing. If you limp wrist the PPK/S it will not operate correctly. At least that is the case with mine. Personally I would not recommend it for anyone for a carry gun because it has to be gripped just and almost dripping with oil in order for it to perform reliably. I still own mine but it basicly collects dust.
The PPK/S might be a sexy little handgun but if your wife plans to carry I would look for something else for her.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
There are much better guns for using than the PPK.

The Makarov is a far more comfortable version, and cheaper too.  Kahr also makes a great gun in this size.  

The Walther is nicer to look at though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:02:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Hello BiggyD . . .

I'll get flamed here -- hope not  ! ! -- but here's my 2 cents . . . .

I bought a Stainless PPK/S about five years ago.  Something I have ALWAYS wanted, even as a kid, so when I got promoted at work I bought myself a "present".  ( not much more pay but a lot more work  ! ! )

Anyway . . .  it's marked "Walther", but if not mistaken it was made by S&W.    I know this little gem has been thru at least 600-700 rounds since I've had it and it has ALWAYS been 110% reliable -- W-W White box, handloads, Remington 102 GS and even that bad steel cased Ruskie ammo.  NEVER any problems in any way  ! !   Only use genuine "Walther" mags, by the way.

Recoil is less than a small frame 38, but a little "snappy" if your not used to shooting pocket pistols.  

S & W is now manufacturing BOTH the PPK and the PPK/s models (in 380 caliber the PPK mag holds six rounds, the PPK/S holds seven rounds).  These new models have an extended "tang" which will prevent the famous "slide bite" that some experience with the "original" models.  Wiley Clapp did an article some time ago in The American Rifleman on the new PPK's and PPK/S's and reported they were a good, reliable pocket pistol.  

Are there better "pocket pistols" ? ? ?  Maybe . . . but if the Wifey likes it and carries it -- that's the answer  ! !

I have a small collection of pocket pistols ( PP, PPK/S, Sig 232, Maks, P-63, P-64's, R-61, etc) and REALLY enjoy shooting them now and then ( I've even been know to carry one as a itty-bitty CCW now and then  ! !)

The PPK may not be the best, but the one in the hand when it is needed is what's important.

Hope this helps . . . .

Me again . . .

In my collection I have a PP in 32 ACP. (I WILL NOT start a "caliber war" on 32 vs. 380  ! ) GREAT pocket pistol -- little larger than the PPK , little easier to shoot, light recoil.  110% reliable.  At 10 yards I can place all eight rounds in a 3 inch circle FAST ! ! ! Mag holds eight rounds.  Several places now have these listed as "surplus" for little money.  AIM Surplus has them for only $259  ! !  (plus whatever you're dealer will charge ya). May be something to consider . . . .

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You mean the PPK/S?

Good gun if imported... Although you will catch the 'Calibers that start in 4' crew in here shortly, I tend to follow the 'Hit your target, and caliber is less of an issue' line of thought... The PPK/S is small, very accurate, reliable, and simple - as long as it doesn't bite your hand, and you can deal with the lack of a slide release (once it locks back on empty, you have to pull the slide back to drop it forward on the fresh mag, there is no lever ala 92FS or 1911)...  This version (which is a PPK top-end married to a PP grip, for compliance with the 68 small-pistol-import-ban) has the more conventional mag-release (whereas the original PPK had the release in the heel of the grip, not by the trigger, and both have the traditional Euro-style decocker/safety...

BAD if made by Smith & Wesson ('Made in the USA' Walthers are made by S&W, who did a pretty bad job, quality issues have been noted...)...

Your best bet if you get one is to pick up a GERMAN-MADE Walther off Gunbroker or similar (I think there might be one for sale in this site's Equipment Exchange right now)...

Final note: The PPK series does have a free-floating firing pin which is not 'stopped' when the safety is off (the design dates back prior to WWII, remember...), so one should NOT carry said pistol with a round in the chamber (except on 'Safe').... It does have a firing-pin BLOCK (to prevent it from firing if the hammer is struck), but the possibility of a ND if dropped on fire DOES exist...

PPK Info HERE -> www.gunsworld.com/walther_home_us.html

my interarms is made in  alaxandria virginia and its a great little gun.get the 32 acp. and you will have a more reliable pistol imho.the back of the slide is razor sharp.as long as you dont have big fleshy (fat) hands its not an issue.if it is take a file to the sharp edge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
"She has shot one and was very impressed with the gun's handling and accuracy compared to others she has tried", or, "she just wants one"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top