Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2002 2:23:52 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

I just traded into a second hand P12. Yesterday I had the opportunity to run a couple of mags through it to check for function to see if I want to keep this one or let it go at the upcoming fun show.  At this point, it may on its merry way to a new owner next week.  

Here's the dilemma.  As I know most of you are probably aware is a common problem, the slide stop engaged unexpectantly while cycling through each mag of ammo.  This is a nice way to get yourself killed, if you ever find yourself in harms way while defending youself with a 1911 type handgun.  

Does anyone make a Replacement Slide Stop that is already dimpled to allow the Slide Stop Plunger to somewhat click into place locking the slide stop in the down position?

If not, any 'smiths around here willing to perform this operation for me?

Thanks,

Cope

Link Posted: 10/20/2002 2:36:18 PM EDT
[#1]
so the slide stop is engaging when you are shooting?

are your hands pushing it up ?
Link Posted: 10/20/2002 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, it's engaging while shooting.  

To my knowledge, I am not bumping it with my hands.  With only 20 rounds through the thing, it has happenned twice.  After the second time, I placed my left thumb on top of the stop to ensure that it wouldn't jump up on me.  That resulted in the last round being spent without the mag being able to engage the stop. (Cure one issue, and create another.)

I really like the feel of this piece.  The grip diameter actually feels smaller and more comfortable than my trusty Smith 6906 double stack. The 9mm 6906 has proven itself 100% reliable to me, but this P12 isn't doing the trick.  Just seems like a piss poor design to me. It needs a detent for the slide plunger to click into. The strength of the spring in the factory mags should have no trouble whatsoever disengaging the stop from a "retained down" position of the plunger if it had the detent in place.

Cope  
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Known ailment to using FMJ type ammo.... look at the radius on the bullet, it will "tap" the slide stop nub up as bullet comes up in the mag. You can take your existing slide stop and dimple the flat so the detent will sit in the dimple (use a drill bit to make the dimple). A side effect is that the slide stop may not rise to lock slide open, (minor inconvienence, you should be counting your shots anyway, and not shoot dry). Try SWC type bullets, and see if problem persists, probably wont, as there is no nose material to tap the slide stop w/SWC.

Re-read your post a little more.....Find a fella named Phil Flack, PFcustom.com or something similar. He is a pistolsmith somewhere down there.
Link Posted: 10/21/2002 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#4]
SBR7_11,

Thanks for the response.  It appears that you understand exactly what I was trying to convey about the dimple in the slide stop.  I found a specific bit at Brownells that is made for this exact purpose. Seems like it was called a Kreiger Bit. I guess I was just hoping to be able to buy a new slide stop that already had the dimple cut into it.  

The ammo I am using is definitely clearing the stop on the inside.  I took the top half off and put a loaded mag in the well.  Plenty of clearance, and I believe the springs are plenty stiff enough in the mags I have I have to push the stop out of the dimple once the follower contacts the inside of the stop.

Odd that you should mention Phil.  I have shot a few local matches with him, and see him at most all the local shows.  I guess now is the time to establish some type of raport with the guy.

Do you have idea if the dimple for one gun would be located in the same place as it would on another gun?  If not, then that would explain the reason that no one markets a dimpled slide stop.

Thanks again,

Cope
Link Posted: 10/22/2002 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I just used a regular drill bit when I did mine years ago. The dimple is in the same place, give or take a few hairs with tolerance of plunger tube placement on the the frame, but will be basically in same place.

Do not need much, as if it is too deep, plunger will actually act as a pin and lock slide stop in place, needs a smooth radius to allow plunger to slide out of dimple when empty mag operates slide stop.

Look again at your bullet nose, wiggle mag, carefully slide a round  back/forth. Somewhere you may see the bullet hit the nub, not by much.
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top