Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2005 6:13:02 AM EDT
After long internal debate I decided to get my first handgun, a HK P2000.  That is until I started seeing the new Bushmaster Carbon 15 9mm AR pistol.  Now I can't decide where to spend the money.

I don't expect to CCW anytime soon, definately not before the current sheriff is out office, so that is a non issue. This would be for range fun, and possibly home protection.

I just bought my first AR about 4 months ago so this seems to be clear case of black rifle disease,  but I can't seem to shake it.   Even if the Bushmaster is a pistol it has a similar spirit.

Which would you get?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get yourself a REAL handgun first, not a bastardized carbine trying to be a pistol.

+1  Wait for the metal version of the AR.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:00:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an AR15 pistol, they are neat range toys but not really practical. Go with a real pistol first then get the neato play toys later.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have an AR15 pistol, they are neat range toys but not really practical. Go with a real pistol first then get the neato play toys later.

I second that... I've got the AR pistol from Bushmaster... It's cool and fun... The type of thing you pull out at the range and your buddies start giving you hell...

BUT, you should get the HK or similar defensive firearm.. I like my AR pistol but i sure wouldn't want to take it in a court room and explain why I chose it for self defense... Perception is unfortunatly a large part of using a firearm for defense in society today....
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Definately get the HK P2000 if thats your only two choices of home defense sidearms, but i personally think you should get something with a little more bite to match the bark......such as a 1911 or any .45acp for that matter. Be sure to feed her plenty of hydroshoks for home defense.heavy.gif
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:55:52 AM EDT
[#6]
AR pistols in 5.56 - Some what pointless, but fun and semi functional as a personal defense weapon.

AR pistols in 9mm - Worthless. Why have a super bulky and heavy handgun in such a small caliber. That'd be like having a Desert Eagle in 22LR. It just seems like an idea that came from the occupants of the short bus.

*Sorry for ranting, I just think it's a completely lame concept.*
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't concealed carry an AR-15 pistol very easily.  Though, I'll admit, I have no experience with this, as I don't own one (yet).

But... if it's for home defense... I'd assume you'd be able to fit bigger mags in the AR-15 pistol, and it's definitely more funny.  It all depends on what you're using it for.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, Ok you've all talked some sense into me.  I picked up my P2000 tonight.  Hopefully I'll get to the range tomorrow.  

I still have an eye on that bushmaster and hopefully they will drop in price over the coming months.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Good man...... and youll love your new p2000!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 2:41:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Don't forget the shotgun as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top