Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2005 7:47:58 PM EDT
who has one?...any of you guy's? i put a mag through one the other a while ago and really liked it...a bit spendy though...it was a .45 which is what i want......tell how they are if you can....and if anybody has thoughts on cheaper 1911 models similer to it....i'm open for that also.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Y'sure y'want a Para?... They're made in Canada y'know....

Kidding aside they're a really nice pistol and it's reflected in the price.
I don't know how they're priced in the US, but here the mags are very expensive compared to other makes...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a limited model that I like, BUT I had to remove the series 80 parts, replace the hammer and sear and have a trigger job.
If you are able to get a Springfield double stack, that is what I would recommend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
i learned to shoot on the para p14-45.  the grip is too fat for my little hands but i still shot it a lot.  but in the hundreds of rounds i ran through it there was nary a hiccup.  and my friend who owns it loves it.  i don't think he has had any mechanical problems with it at all.  iirc he did have some pitting on the slide but i don't think he has sent it in to get it refinished.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:24:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I own 2, carry one on duty daily. Bunch a round thru em and no issues. Mags are expensive BUT realize that its a double stack 45. If you bought two single wilson mags(7+7=14rds) it would cost you the price of one para (14rds).  Some people love em and some hate em. I haven't met a bad guy yet who liked having it pointed at him.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:03:10 AM EDT
[#5]
A friend has a P13-45 stainless.  Always reliable, Hi-Cap .45, beautiful pistol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Para P-14s generally work well but I recommend staying away from the compact versions, the P-12 and smaller.  I had a P-12 Limited that had serious failure to feed problems.  It was sent back to Para twice as well as worked on by a local pistol smith and it would not function properly.  I finally sold it for less than half of what I had into it, with the disclaimer that it did not function properly.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Years ago I had a problem with a P-14-45 barrel that I didn't like the way it was machined. The guys @ para took it back and said it was within spec. I said that for me it didn't shoot straight and I had to drift the sights too much to work for me. They replaced the barrel for me @ no cost even though it was within their specs. That is outstanding customer service. I now own a P-12-45 stainless limited that I carry every day. I also have a P-14-45 stainless limited and a P-14-45LDA stainless limited. I love all three of these guns. If you decide on a Para, get the limited series. They come with a "match grade barrel" amoung other things. I carry the P-12-45 stainless limited with the 12 round magazine and two extra 16 round magazines I put together from parts during the hi cap ban. I like the 45 45s concept. All three guns work great with all my magazines even the frankenstein ones I made. The only trouble I ever had was with Wolf ammo. Great guns and great service!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:57:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Fair number of folks run them in IDPA in these parts.  I've seen them choke far to often for me to invest my money in.  

It seems if any gun is going to act up at one of our IDPA matches its going to be a 1911, with it mostly likely being a Para.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a Para Carry (6.45), which was a single stack, that never functioned well.  It went back to Para several times before they eventually replaced it.  When they did they asked if there was another model I would prefer.  I chose the Para Carry 12 which is a double stack model that wasn't available when I originally bought the 6.45.

The Carry 12 has run perfectly and it is my CCW.  I love it and am very pleased with Para's CS.

Seydou

ETA: Some people do not like the LDA trigger.  I do.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know anything about the Para LTC model?  I'm seriously considering investing in one (or at least attempting to save up for one) and I would like to know what anyone thinks about them.

I apologize for the thread highjack.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:28:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I almost bought one today at a local shop, the shop own told me that he has seen way too many problems with Para and talked me out of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top