Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 1:34:38 PM EDT
Which one would you choose? A GLOCK or a XD?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock, even though i'm slightly biased given that I own a Glock and have never fired an XD.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I chose the XD Subcompact a few years ago, the feel in my hand was the tie breaker.  The XD Subcompact also had less perceived recoil than the Glock subcompact I shot.

I sold it after I bought a service size XD, and now I'm having second thoughts vs. a Glock.

This is not because I dislike my XD, it's fine, but although the aftermarket is slowly adding XD products, there are a couple of things I would buy now if I had purchased the Glock instead.

Mainly, I want a .22 conversion from Ciener for training, I think it would help me improve my skill level.

Also, the G19/22 (closest comparable size) is more compact, in grip length and slide height, a consideration if used for concealed carry.

My XD is used for plinking and home defense, and my next purchase will be a FN Hi Power (which does have a .22 conversion) because CDNN has a great deal on them and I'll never forgive myself if I don't get one before they're all gone.  

Honestly, just pick whichever you like better, they're both fine firearms.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I owned both for a few years and ended up selling the Glocks. I had some problems with my Glocks and never got them to funtion 100%. My 2 XD's both ran 100% out of the box and never had 1 problem with them. The XD's and Glocks were about even as far as accuracy go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#4]
an XD with a Tennifer finish.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:07:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned both, and ended up selling the XD's.  I had very minor problems with one of each.  Glock took care of me with zero hassle, and even gave me some free stuff (a couple standard cap mags and a sticker).  I had a magazine problem with my XD, I called Springfield and they told me I was SOL, then they directed my call to the sales department, where they suggested I buy new mags at full price.

It also seems like Glock accessories are easier to get, and a little cheaper.  I'll stick with Glocks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Glock and Glock 33 round mags.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My Ford is better than your Chevy.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Glock 19, and my shooting partner has an XD.  The XD does not fit me as well as the Glock does, though the reverse is true for my shooting partner, who has much smaller hands than I do.  His factory XD has a softer trigger than my factory Glock, and I don't particularly care for the way it breaks.

Both pistols seem to function fine.  Neither of has ever had a jam or misfeed.  

My advice?  Try before you buy.  At the very least, spend some time holding each one and decide whcih one fits your hand better.  If you can get someone to let you dry-fire, you'll get a better sense for the difference in trigger breaks.  Depending on what you shoot now and the ergonomics of how YOUR hands work, one pistol may be a much better fit for you.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm extremely happy with my XD, but personal preference plays a huge role. Try both, decide which one fits you best.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#10]
toss up

i'm more impartial to the glock b/c of the old tennifer finish, cheap hi-cap mags, slightly better quality work/materials, and accessories

h/w, i like the way the XD feels better
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:37:27 PM EDT
[#11]
GLOCK
I've shot a XD in .40, and I liked it a lot.  I'll buy one if either of these two things happen:
1. they start making a 10mm on the .45 ACP frame they just put to market, or
2. GLOCK goes out of business
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock.  Proven track record and has superior aspects.

I know this is limited but this is what I saw:
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:03:04 AM EDT
[#13]
The XD feels much nicer in my opinion.  The only caliber the XDs dont seem to shoot well in my opinion was 357sig.  Ive shot all of the XD line about 1.5 years ago and they were all nicer feeling then GLOCKS. But GLOCKS are known to take some getting used to as far as feel goes.  I believe the XDs break down easier for cleaning as you dont have to dry fire it to break it down I also prefer the XDs safety to GLOCKS but again this is just my opinion.  GL in which ever you buy Im sure you wont be dissappointed with either.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I have shot Glocks. The main reason I don't like them is because the trigger is just a might too sensitive for me, and I don't like the way the grip feels in my hand. I've never seen one actually blow up, but, judging by comments here and on other gun boards, it would appear that it happens with this particular gun more than others. On top of that, it seems there are a lot more unintended/accidental/negligent (take your pick) discharges with Glocks than other handguns.

I have an XD40. I love the way it shoots and the way the grip feels in my hand, so I would have to go with the XD. And yes, you have to keep it oiled or it will rust on you.

For carry I use a .357 SIG P229.

ETA even though this subject has been beat to death, this thread still needs a poll.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned 16 Glocks and 5 XD's. I sold all my Glocks and now I am a happy camper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have owned 16 Glocks and 5 XD's. I sold all my Glocks and now I am a happy camper.

Smart man you are! XD's are they way to go!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Nothing wrong with Glocks, but the feel of the XD sealed the deal for me.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Fglocker_Plz - You really want to do a search because this question gets asked at least once every couple of weeks.

I have both. I prefer the grip of the XD but if I had to choose just one, I would choose the Glock.

The XD is a cool design and while I do not think the Glocks are perfect, I do beieve them to be a better quality and more relaible firearm.

Just my $.02 - YMMV
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The XD is a cool design and while I do not think the Glocks are perfect, I do beieve them to be a better quality and more relaible firearm.

I agree. I've owned several XDs and feel the Glock is of better quality and a more proven and refined design.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:03:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I pick the XD.

I feel that the XD is better quality and is a more refined design. People say that Glocks feel like toy guns, I have yet to see a toy gun that is quality.

I like the glocks, but my XD and its 30 round magazine do just fine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have shot Glocks. The main reason I don't like them is because the trigger is just a might too sensitive for meThere are parts to make the trigger heavier..i.e. NY triggers (are they available for the XD'S?????, and I don't like the way the grip feels in my hand. I've never seen one actually blow up, but, judging by comments here and on other gun boards, it would appear that it happens with this particular gun more than others.More people shoot glocks....that's why there "May" be more problems On top of that, it seems there are a lot more unintended/accidental/negligent (take your pick) discharges with Glocks than other handguns. Again, you are talking about a gun that is more commonly talked about than others. Also, since a Glock is more affordable more people who have little training purchase them.

I have an XD40. I love the way it shoots and the way the grip feels in my hand, so I would have to go with the XD. And yes, you have to keep it oiled or it will rust on you. Dont have that problem with my glock

For carry I use a .357 SIG P229.

ETA even though this subject has been beat to death, this thread still needs a poll.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Taurus
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Not doubting you, but made me do a double take.  I didn't know you could get 30 rounders for XD's.  What caliber?  I assume 9mm and no others.  Got a linky on that?  If they make a 30 rounder for 40's that might sway my mind, just a little.
EDIT---------------------------------
yahoo is my friend
Springfield XD 30 Round Magazine 9mm
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD 40 S&W 20-Round Steel Blue
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD 9mm Luger 20-Round Steel Blue
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD9 9mm Luger 30-Round Steel Blue
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Glock.....they have a longer history of known performance,  better finish,  NO GRIP SAFETY, and I like the trigger better..........its fast for me, and I'm freakin accurate with the things.  Past that.....I might try a XD if someone let me for free.   Oh, and did I mention........no grip safety?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have shot Glocks. The main reason I don't like them is because the trigger is just a might too sensitive for meThere are parts to make the trigger heavier..i.e. NY triggers (are they available for the XD'S?????, and I don't like the way the grip feels in my hand. I've never seen one actually blow up, but, judging by comments here and on other gun boards, it would appear that it happens with this particular gun more than others.More people shoot glocks....that's why there "May" be more problems On top of that, it seems there are a lot more unintended/accidental/negligent (take your pick) discharges with Glocks than other handguns. Again, you are talking about a gun that is more commonly talked about than others. Also, since a Glock is more affordable more people who have little training purchase them.

I have an XD40. I love the way it shoots and the way the grip feels in my hand, so I would have to go with the XD. And yes, you have to keep it oiled or it will rust on you. Dont have that problem with my glock

I appreciate the rational rebuttal, Msokol13. It's refreshing to read a civil argument from a Glockfan rather than the usual rabid foaming-at-the-mouth diatribe.

I never said Glock was a bad gun; they're just not right for me.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#27]

I believe the XDs break down easier for cleaning as you dont have to dry fire it to break it down

Maybe I'm not understanding your post but I have to dry fire my XDs to break them down.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I can only speak about Glock since I have no personal experience with the Springfield XD. That

being said after owning most of the Glocks, carrying one daily as a police officer, going to

numerous schools ( louis awerbuck's, Gunsite, FBI street survival etc..) using a model 23 in a

police action shooting, and shooting a boat load of ammunition... I have witness alot of guns not

work... Through all of this I have never experienced a malfunction with any of my Glocks that I can

trace back to a gun issue and not bad ammo... and the ammo problems are rare... Working plain

clothes I can carry mostly anything I want of quality and I choose the Glock hands down.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:00:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate the rational rebuttal, Msokol13. It's refreshing to read a civil argument from a Glockfan rather than the usual rabid foaming-at-the-mouth diatribe.

I never said Glock was a bad gun; they're just not right for me.

I am glad that is the way you interpreted my post. I know you never said a Glock was a bad gun, just wanted to show you that there are easy/rational explanations to fix/understand the problems you were having.

To each his own and you have the God given right to like something that I dont care for as much as you, they are both great guns made by great manufacturers. If not for differences in tastes we would all wear the same clothes, drive the same cars, and have the exact same style houses.

Cheers and Happy New Year.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Had a Glock 19, and sold it. Now have a SA XD Service Model in 9mm.

My main weapon is a 1911, and always will be. I actually bought the XD in 9mm for my "Female Companions" who are new to our honorable ways of life, and would appreciate learing on something a little "Softer" in recoil.

My preference for the XD over the Glock centers around "pointability". It just points more like a 1911 than the Glock, and so IF I ever need to grab it for serious work, it'll be a little more friendly in sight alignment.

Other than that...I think it's a toss up.

Tack
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Your wait is over

XD in .45 ACP

45 ACP XD
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:32:51 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My advice?  Try before you buy.  At the very least, spend some time holding each one and decide which one fits your hand better.  If you can get someone to let you dry-fire, you'll get a better sense for the difference in trigger breaks.  Depending on what you shoot now and the ergonomics of how YOUR hands work, one pistol may be a much better fit for you.

GOSPEL!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not doubting you, but made me do a double take.  I didn't know you could get 30 rounders for XD's.  What caliber?  I assume 9mm and no others.  Got a linky on that?  If they make a 30 rounder for 40's that might sway my mind, just a little.
EDIT---------------------------------
yahoo is my friend
Springfield XD 30 Round Magazine 9mm
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD 40 S&W 20-Round Steel Blue
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD 9mm Luger 20-Round Steel Blue
ProMag Magazine Springfield XD9 9mm Luger 30-Round Steel Blue

I have a promag 30 rounder from midway. I bought it and was told promags were crap but it works great.

Promag makes th
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a Glock, alot better weapon, and you won't have to send it back every three months to be refinished
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top