Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 9:09:43 PM EDT
I dont mean failures like kabooms or slow-burns, but like jamming and FTE's.

for range/target shooting I use this ammo.........

Blazer Brass
Winchester White box value packs
Winchester WinClean.......for indoor

The calibers I have now..............

22lr.
9mm
40s&w
45acp

in some of those calibers like 45acp and 40s&w, they jam all the time.

but when I use personal defense rounds like Hydrashock of SpeerGolddot or even Winchester HP defense,
they dont jam at all.............

is it the grain of the bullets or maybe even the powder they use on those mass produced factory target ammo?

I only shoot out of factory mags, and they dont mess up shooting that expensive ammo but only on target quality stuff.

is there another brand of target/range that I should use?
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#1]
i have shot all of those brands in many firearms, i have had VERY little problems (some FTFs w/ the blazers in my HK/1911, some failure to locks back on WWB), but overall, great ammo

what kinda guns have you been using?

UMC, PMC, AE, and wolf are some other plinking ammo i have used w/ good results

double posted in General Discussion--IBTL
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:38:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Is this something recent or has it been going on for a while? The reason I ask is you may have gotten ammo out of a lot that your pistol dosen't like. I had a problem with some Federal .380 that was giving me FTF's that went away when I used up the stash I had on hand (5 boxes). The new stuff must have been from a different lot because I haven't had an FTF with the new stuff.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Odd.  I've never had any problems running Blazer Brass .45ACP through my Sig 220 or 1911.  The Sig likes it just as well as my handloads.  UMC works fine through both guns as well.  Heck, Wolf .45 ACP runs through them.  .22LR can be hit or miss.  I usually use Federal Lightnings and get about 5-10 failures per 500.  Are your mags in good shape?  Just because they're factory doesn't mean they're any good.  They could be worn out.  I have some 220 factory mags and they don't work as reliably as the Novak/ACT mags.  They're more expensive too.  MJD
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:09:58 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
in some of those calibers like 45acp and 40s&w, they jam all the time.

but when I use personal defense rounds like Hydrashock of SpeerGolddot or even Winchester HP defense,
they dont jam at all.............

is there another brand of target/range that I should use?

If for example, you are having trouble with your 45 using an assortment of factory ball ammo and working mags, I'd say it's the gun.  

I shot mostly wwb and reloads made by a guy locally(Metroplex) for over a year without a hiccup in two custom 1911s.  When I started loading, I switched to a different bullet because of availability and both guns puked about every other mag.  Switched to yet another bullet(Precision) with the same charge and assorted brass and the guns are back to flawless.  

For your range plinking/competing needs, I would suggest experimenting with factory rounds you can afford to shoot until you find a keeper and then don't switch.   Your other option would be to load your own or find someone you can TRUST to develop/produce  a load for your needs.  FWIW  The reloads I purchased initially saved me about $65/1000 compared to cheap factory stuff(45s).  Reloading your own is even cheaper.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I have shot MANY thousands of Winchester white Box rounds in .45, .40 and 9mm using Sig guns without even one failure..
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot thousands of rounds of white box in a couple different firearms without a single failure due to ammo.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have shot thousands of rounds of white box in a couple different firearms without a single failure due to ammo.

Isn't it funny how all the bad rounds from any brand of ammo only go to certain members of this site?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top