Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 4:38:37 PM EDT

anyone have experience witht them?

anyone know where to get on cheap?

Was thinking of putting one on my Sig but dont have any experience with them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#1]
SWAT Magazine did a review of them in the latest issue. They worked after being submerged underwater inlike the Crimson Trace grips and they take a beating and still work unlike the CT model tested.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#2]
RUN AWAY!!!!!

I had one for a 1911, it shot like crap, meaning it was like 15 MOA at 25 yards. the laser worked good
but the laser itself as a guide rod is a bad combo.

I shoot fine but the accuracy was really bad, took it off and it was shooting fine again. I got a refund.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Spend the $300 on something else.  I have had one in my Glock 19 for 6 years.  I don't even bother turning it on anymore.  You can't see it during the daytime.  The best use I have found for it is to tease the dog and watch him chase after the red dot.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had one for my Glock 23 and it worked justt fine. I even had it in for my 3 day training class and had no function issues at all. My only problem is that I kept turning it on by accident when I was shooting when I didn't want to.

I eventually just took it out as I never used it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
RUN AWAY!!!!!

I had one for a 1911, it shot like crap, meaning it was like 15 MOA at 25 yards. the laser worked good

I shoot fine but the accuracy was really bad, took it off and it was shooting fine again. I got a refund.

3.5 inches at 25 yards from a 1911?  I'm impressed.

ETA lasers are nice little toys that take away skill.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:09:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
RUN AWAY!!!!!

No they're not.  They are very effective less than lethal devives when used properly.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:04:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
RUN AWAY!!!!!

No they're not.  They are very effective less than lethal devives when used properly.

lol. Nooooo, once someone see's the muzzle of my weapon if I've had to pull it for defense, they are gonna catch lead.  If it's dark, I have no intention of putting a dot out in front of me for them to see and shoot at.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Go out and buy this months S.W.A.T. magazine and read the laser article, I think it will help in your decision.  LM got rave reviews and I trust SWAT mag to give an unbiased opinion
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:02:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend the $300 on a class.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:07:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go out and buy this months S.W.A.T. magazine and read the laser article, I think it will help in your decision.  LM got rave reviews and I trust SWAT mag to give an unbiased opinion

what did they say?
I leaning toward other gear anyway.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what did they say?

they did some test with a some crimson trace grips and with some laser max ones.  Basically the laser max won hands dowm.

The fact that the laser max (LM) has a pulsating laser makes it a much better unit.  The flashing laser is aqiured much more rapidly and gives increased battery life as compared to a non pulsating beam.

They did test with salt water, drop test, water submersion, SUV run over and heat/cold.  Basically the laser max passed every test wereas the crimson trace failed most of them.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:11:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

what did they say?

they did some test with a some crimson trace grips and with some laser max ones.  Basically the laser max won hands dowm.

The fact that the laser max (LM) has a pulsating laser makes it a much better unit.  The flashing laser is aqiured much more rapidly and gives increased battery life as compared to a non pulsating beam.

They did test with salt water, drop test, water submersion, SUV run over and heat/cold.  Basically the laser max passed every test wereas the crimson trace failed most of them.

Thats cool but wondering if its really needed and worth 350
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:02:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Not that I wanted one of these, but I just picked up a used Glock 36, it wasnt used much (I was told it was a backup gun of a retired Chicago PD detective who made sure it worked and hadn't shot it since).  Well, the 36 came with a lasermax installed....since I got the whole gun, including 2 extra mags and night sights for 400, I wasn't going to complain about the laser.

I'm going to the range on Tuesday and I'll review the laser in this little .45
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Buddy has one in a sub-compact glock .40 (not sure what the model number is). My opinions are:

1. It's weak. The dot is hard to see due to it's lack of power.
2. The blinking effect is supposed to make your eye find the (weak) dot easier. Honestly, it's just plain annoying.
3. The batteries. Special little watch batteries that cost about $15 to replace after only a few hours of intermittant use. My buddy's model uses 4 batteries (I think) at a time, and they run about $2-3 a piece plus tax. He says he can only find them at the jewelery counter at department stores/Target/Walmart etc.
4. The switch. Very easy to accidentally turn the unit on, especially when in a leather holster, and kill the batteries.
5. Cost. Find something better to buy, like a set of night sights and ammo.

Yes, this is 99% first hand knowledge, the rest I got from my buddy, and I take it as gospel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

Q: What is one thing gunowners love to bitch about?

A:Hollywood misconceptions about guns.

Q: What does Hollywood teach the general public about lasers?

A: If it hits you the bullet will to and you are a second from death.

I had two instances while cab driving where I didnt need to necessarily shoot someone, but damn sure needed to back them the fuck up right now. Both instances they were advancing with illegal and criminal intentions directed towards me.

Laser to center mass and straight up to the face, they both lost any thought of advancing. When you have time on your side, they are indeed a great less than lethal device. Best $300 I ever spent, I was glad as hell I had it both time. It worked.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Humm,

One side said they are great, one side dislikes them.  I guess it's YMMV depending on what you want it for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top