Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
Illinois Deputies May Get New Glock Guns
BRIAN BRUEGGEMANN
News-Democrat via Knight Ridder

Madison County officials may spend up to $37,000 to give sheriff's deputies new firepower.

Sheriff Robert Hertz said his department's Smith & Wesson handguns have been malfunctioning too frequently during training, and he can't afford to let that happen in a real situation.

"They would misfire (not fire when the trigger is pulled), or the ejection of the shell may get hung up," Hertz said. "If that happens in a combat situation, it's pretty bad."

So he wants to trade in the department's 97 Smith & Wesson handguns for the same number of Glock models, the most popular brand among law enforcers in the United States.

About 70 percent of U.S. police agencies, including the FBI, Drug Enforcement Administration and New York Police Department, use Glocks.

Hertz said the widespread use of Glocks by police agencies is one factor that appeals to him about the brand. He said if a shoot-out on the street "gets so bizarre" that multiple police agencies are involved, police can share ammunition and clips.

Both the Smith & Wesson model used by deputies and the Glock model Hertz wants are .40-caliber semiautomatics.

The sheriff's department has used the Smith & Wesson semiautomatics for about six years. Before that, the department for decades used Smith & Wesson .357-caliber revolvers.

The last time a Madison County sheriff's deputy fired a gun at a person was in July 2002, when a gun-wielding man in downtown Alton had an hours-long standoff with police. Hertz said deputies more frequently have to shoot sick or vicious animals.

The Madison County Board tonight will vote on seeking bids for the trade-in. Hertz said the actual cost likely will be less than his $37,000 estimate.

The Glock model costs about $430 without a trade-in.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:13:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you actually seen some of the prices police departments are paying for their Glocks?  It ranges from $33-$85 depending on the options and number purchased.  Kind of hard to compete with that wouldn't you say?  Its alright though, schmucks like myself and other joe citizens help by buying their over priced firearms.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#2]

as long as it works!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you actually seen some of the prices police departments are paying for their Glocks?  It ranges from $33-$85 depending on the options and number purchased.  Kind of hard to compete with that wouldn't you say?  Its alright though, schmucks like myself and other joe citizens help by buying their over priced firearms.

$33 dollars a gun?  I doubt that.  

Civilian sales do not support the Glock company alone.  

Now $1.25 for a Springfield XD sounds like a fair price.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Remember, if  personal likes and dislikes of a particular piece of equipment by key personnel (such as FA instructors, armorers, tac team leaders,etc.)--are strong enough, anything can happen. Such as, if they personally don't like this or that, or just want new toys to play with--just complain after several qualification range sessions about "a whole bunch of malfunctions" with a particular weapon to the right people---or say this particular item is constantly needing maintenance or parts replacement, and suddenly you have an "ISSUE".
I got rid of a WHOLE rack of Mini 14's that way (replaced with some AR's of course)
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]

police can share ammunition and clips
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:15:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:17:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Indiana State Police are getting new  GLOCK 22s.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Now $1.25 for a Springfield XD sounds like a fair price.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#10]
To me, Glock guns are probably one of the most reliable and trouble free guns around.  My now-closed indoor shooting range had a rental Glock 17 that would just "keep going and going," like the Energizer Rabbit.  The only time the gun gets any cleaning is when the customer complains that it is jamming, and it is only cursory clean by the counter jocks.  The gun shot 500,000 rounds before cracking the slide, and it was replaced.  When the range closed, the gun had 750,000 official rounds on the original frame.  The actual rounds shot was probably higher because this only for official ammo bought at the range, the managment knows that people have smuggled in ammo from the outside such as Wall-Mart.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:05:45 AM EDT
[#11]
What?  No Kaboom jokes?  Well I guess this thread is still new.

P.S.  I love my Glock 23
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:10:17 AM EDT
[#12]
the fit for a glock in my hand isnt comfy at all...................thats the only thing keeping me from buying one.

I have small hands and the grip is too wide for me.

COPS need riliability........................ they need 1911's
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:16:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I was talking to the local Glock rep a few months back and he said that getting departments to switch from S&W, Beretta, or even Ruger () - to Glocks was pretty damn easy.

SIGs on the other hand...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:45:59 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  How are your math skills?
$33.38 per pistol
and
$51.69 per pistol
and
$77 per pistol....

You know what you can do with that "" don't ya?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]

"If that happens in a combat situation, it's pretty bad."

So what kind of combat situations are they expecting to encounter?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:03:52 AM EDT
[#16]
To oppose in battle; fight against.
To oppose vigorously; struggle against.
To engage in fighting; contend or struggle.
Fighting, especially armed battle; strife. See Synonyms at conflict.

Ala Websters.

My guess would be any situation where you go beyond the patented "Draw Down."
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:40:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$33 dollars a gun?  I doubt that.  hr

$33.38 per pistol
and
$51.69 per pistol
and
$77 per pistol....

You know what you can do with that "hr

Your math skills are spot on, but your reading comprehension needs some work.  Every one of the examples you cite includes a trade-in allowance for used guns.   Per the article in the first post in the thread, the price they will pay is about $381 and change, which is about right.  Remember, department purchases skip out on the FET which is about 20% or so.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Damn, that ought to hurt my stock in S&W. However, Madison county Illinois?!?! That is the bad lawsuit capitol of the country. I am willing to bet glock is going to end up getting sued for a few billion now.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Glocks are butt ugly but they run.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was talking to the local Glock rep a few months back and he said that getting departments to switch from S&W, Beretta, or even Ruger () - to Glocks was pretty damn easy.

SIGs on the other hand...

Don't know about that, the local county police here just traded thier Sigs ( P220 ) in for Glock 22's & 23's. Something about the Sigs breaking or cracking parts, I'm not really sure.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Don't know about that, the local county police here just traded thier Sigs ( P220 ) in for Glock 22's & 23's. Something about the Sigs breaking or cracking parts, I'm not really sure.

Was it the 220Rs?  I heard about problems with those.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:13:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$33.38 per pistol
and
$51.69 per pistol
and
$77 per pistol....

You know what you can do with that "" don't ya?

They are using a trade-in allowance for these prices.  Duh!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top