Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 7:28:56 PM EDT
Damn, I can't do it.  This is what I've been told is proper, but I just can't get that  to work.

Doesn't work with either eye.

Best I can do for shooting both eyes open is to focus on the target and allow the sights to "ghost".  I actually do fairly well it it if its light enough outside or I can pick up the night sights.  Gotta have good white 3 dot sights though.

If I focus on the front sight, I can't line it up with the rear, because the front sight appears angled, and then I have "2" targets to shoot at.  I can't see the rears enough to get a sight picture.

Right now, I shoot right handed right eyed.  Used to shoot right handed left eyed, didnt really make a difference.

So am I screwed for life?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:27:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you're trying too hard.

Acquire the target, bring your gun on axis. Look at the front sight FIRST, then put it on the target, trust that your eye will put the front sight between the rears (it will), and squeeze the trigger while staying focused on the front sight. It should not blur.

Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:45:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Damn, I can't do it.  This is what I've been told is proper, but I just can't get that  to work.

Doesn't work with either eye.

Best I can do for shooting both eyes open is to focus on the target and allow the sights to "ghost".  I actually do fairly well it it if its light enough outside or I can pick up the night sights.  Gotta have good white 3 dot sights though.

If I focus on the front sight, I can't line it up with the rear, because the front sight appears angled, and then I have "2" targets to shoot at.  I can't see the rears enough to get a sight picture.

Right now, I shoot right handed right eyed.  Used to shoot right handed left eyed, didnt really make a difference.

So am I screwed for life?

Remind me about this next time we're shooting. It's easier than you think.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the same problem, though I seem to have improved a little by dry-firing as often as I can.  I was once told that I am left eye dominated, but I have the same problem with my left eye.  

I don't know if this is the case with you, but the harder I tried, the worse I got.  Now, I practice often, but only do short sessions.  Funny thing is that with an EOTech I always fire with both eyes open.

Lastly, I think I need professional help - by that I mean take classes - and I suggest you consider that too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top