Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 6:30:10 PM EDT
Being that I travel daily to and from work in the city of Cleveland. Attend college at Cleveland State University and often go to the ball games(football/basketball/baseball) I see many police officers on my daily routines.

Almost all of the officers carry glocks, but what I found interesting is that none of them ever have the +2 mag extensions.  Is there a reason I see very few LE officers ever having +2 bases on any of their sidearms?

If I were a cop I would think..."the more firepower the better". Being that I am obviously not LE I was hoping someone with this type of experience could explain to me why they dont.

19+1 in my opinion would be a signficant advantage over the expected 13-15 in most other firearms. Even a glock against a glock....2 extra rounds might save your life right?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Some folks think (I am one of them) that one doesn't fuck with the mags in their carry/duty gun. Playing with the mags is for IPSC, not out on the street.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some folks think (I am one of them) that one doesn't fuck with the mags in their carry/duty gun. Playing with the mags is for IPSC, not out on the street.

My .o2

I figured that most responses would be based on reliability issues. I guess this confirms it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#3]
if they are like most beat cops around here, they could care less on how many rounds they have in thier HG

but then most cops in my area arent that great--all the good ones are gone
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:45:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

I figured that most responses would be based on reliability issues. I guess this confirms it.

Most cops aren't gun guys as well...  They probably don't even know the +2 mag extensions even exist.  If they know much about guns Bob's reason is why they don't carry them.

Kent
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
HUGE weight issue!..... I suspect.  htlift.gif
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
For me, it was not reliability as much as portability.  When in uniform I carried a standard mag in the gun and a +2 on a spare mag.  The +2 never failed me, but I thought it stuck out a little too far to have exposed on a regular basis.  It's just long enough to get hung up and knocked around when a regular mag won't, and I felt the banging around could loosen the floorplate for no really good reason.  After all, I've already got 18 rounds ready to go, having another 2 right there won't make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#7]
With a duty belt and not needing to "hide" your pistol and mags, why risk some aftermarket add on.  Now a detective or some plain clothes guy, you might find one.  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#8]
 It may be department policy too.  In most departments in larger cities, if you carry something that is not specifically authorized or issued, or modify your issue equipment you'll get your ass shined.

mm
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
There are a lot of reasons that none of my officers use them, other than on backups/off duty, and that's mostly on G27'/26's. For one it's the KISS method, the mags from Glock work correctly 99% of the time, why fix what's not broken.

Weight is a factor, most of us carry the mag in the gun and two on the belt, now they don't make mag pouches, at least to me knowledge, that will fit mags with the extensions on them. So that makes 46rds on us at all times. Since the mag ext would only work for the mag in the gun, is 2 more rds really worth taking a chance on a non factory part?

The other, is that at the range I issue officers "training mags" basically they are older mags with orange floor plates, this is done for two reasons, one the orange plates makes it easier for me to tell who's loaded up and that way our duty mags don't get tore up by getting dropped on the ground, stepped on and such. Also by using older mags it increases the chances of failures, thus helping to reinforce, while training, weapons failure drills. We do however test our duty mags and ammo every so often by shooting up our old duty ammo when it's time for replacement. So I would not want to train with mags that are substantially  different than the ones I would be using, as putting ext on training mags would be cost prohibitive.

However for someone who is off duty or CCW and can conceal a Glock well with the ext on it, then yes I don't see why not. Hope that ansers your question.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Good stuff guys. Thanks for all of the responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top