Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/20/2005 1:38:42 PM EDT
I need help deciding.  I have done research and keep seeing people talking about reliability issues with the P3AT.  Looks like it might be a little tough to keep from limp-wristing also.  They both need something real small for a purse gun.  

What about the P-32s?  Are they reliable?  What about the Tom Cat?

Thanks for any info
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
The KTs (I own both; carry the P3AT every day) are usually reliable after proper break-in or, at most, a light "fluff & buff."  There are many here who rail about bad experiences with them, but many (not all, there were some bad runs) of those are folks who expected them to perform 100% with the very first rounds fired like (some) guns costing 3-4 times as much & gave up on them too easily/soon IMHO...

The Beretta 3032 "Tomcat" I had was utterly reliable, but I just couldn't get past the horrible (IMHO) trigger.  The pull wasn't particularly heavy, but it was VERY long and it won't fire unless you press it ALL the way back.  I found myself unable to consistently fire rapid strings even with practice - an ability you want to have with a "belly-gun" IMO.

I personally wouldn't choose either  the KTs or the Tomcat for a purse gun for a female new to firearms/shooting (you didn't say that - I am inferring a bit ).  I would start them out with something a little larger that they can get a good grip on - mastering tiny "pocket-guns" is an art to itself and IMHO not the way to start out.

Truth is, you'll do better in the long run if you try to guide them but let the final decision be theirs.  They need to buy into this as a way of life, not something they are doing for your peace of mind.  If at all possible, find them an opportunity to try some different styles out before making the decision.

If you anticipate them being recoil-sensitive, I'd suggest a small (but not as small as the ones in your poll) .380 or a medium-sized 9mm.  With the right purse (using a dedicated gun-purse rather than just sticking a gun in an ordinary purse is crucial to purse-carry IMO), one needn't carry a tiny gun for effective concealment and comfortable carry.

My own little wife has carried a S&W 9mm in a Galco gun-purse for almost 20 years with no problem at all.  My mother (not much bigger than my wife) prefers a revolver and carries a .38 snubbie, but refuses to carry on her person except on "certain occasions" (believe me, I have tried for years )... she carries in her car and keeps a larger .38 by her bed.  IMHO, you are ahead of the game if they are both willing to learn, practice, and carry all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top