Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 8:19:27 AM EDT
Hey guys im relatively new to the revolver scene. Ive always carried automatics, and currently carry a sig 239/40 but have recently decided to carry a backup revolver and have it for my summer primary. I like Smith & Wesson quality and need something small and powerful! Possibly in pockert or IWB.

What do you carry and what suggestions could you give me? Thanks for any input
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:32:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W 686. It will take all the full house 357 mag loads you can dish out. I carry one and it is a perfect size for a CCW revlover.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Get a 2 1/2 inch barrel S&W 686. It will take all the full house 357 mag loads you can dish out. I carry one and it is a perfect size for a CCW revlover.

It might be a little big for a pocket but I agree it is a great gun.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a S&W 686 and it is big for carry.

What you want depends on what you're going to do with it.  Most people will tell you to get a .357 because they are built better.  I don't think the extra weight of a .357 is what you're looking for though.  Look at some lightweight hammerless .38's.  If you want a S&W, the J frame is the small one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Best bang for the buck is the S&W model 442. It's "blued" so it won't gleam in bright sunlight nor glare off the top strap. Aluminum alloy frame is cheaper than the Scandium & only weighs an once or so more. Saves about $200 or more there.

The .357mag would be difficult to have a good/quick follow-up shot with in an alloy frame & metal is too GD heavy for a J-frame, IMO. Therefor, I went for the .38spl & can put +P or wadcutters or anything in between & have very managable recoil.

If you do get a pocket pistol, skip the rubber grips as they'll snag your clothing when you least it. Always stick with wood.

My little J-frame is surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Best bang for the buck is the S&W model 442. It's "blued" so it won't gleam in bright sunlight nor glare off the top strap. Aluminum alloy frame is cheaper than the Scandium & only weighs an once or so more. Saves about $200 or more there.

The .357mag would be difficult to have a good/quick follow-up shot with in an alloy frame & metal is too GD heavy for a J-frame, IMO. Therefor, I went for the .38spl & can put +P or wadcutters or anything in between & have very managable recoil.

If you do get a pocket pistol, skip the rubber grips as they'll snag your clothing when you least it. Always stick with wood.

My little J-frame is surprisingly accurate for such a short barrel.

The S&W 442 has an aluminum frame and carbon steel cylinder, so it actually weighs in at 4oz more than the equivalent aluminum/titanium gun. The S&W342s is the titanium equivalent of the 442, and man does a 342 kick like a mule, even with my mild wadcutter loads.
Shorter barrel doesn't necessarily mean inaccuracy, just less velocity.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
SP 101 or Taurus 85. I bet you buy it, try it, and go back to your auto.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SP 101 or Taurus 85. I bet you buy it, try it, and go back to your auto.

No doubt, I will always have my auto, I jus would like a backup.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
642/442
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:12:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
642/442

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top