Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 2:36:51 AM EDT
I bought a relative a Glock brand tac lite for his Glock 17...since its Glock's own brand, it shouldn't strain the polymer frame should it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:37:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Strain the polymer frame?

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Strain the polymer frame?

OK I worded it wrong-can it put too much of a strain on the frame that it will break the frame?  Awhile back I asked this question about a Streamlite on a Glock, and someone posted a picture of a busted frame.  
The thrust of my question is, since it's a Glock brand lite does it threaten the frame of his 3rd Gen Clock 17 when he fires it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I think what you are referring to is the fact that during firing the frame flexes and your thought is a light prevents or restricts the frame from flexing naturally thus putting an undue strain on it?

I imagine it happens with all lights rail mounted lights.

I'd like to see the other thread if you still have a link to it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think what you are referring to is the fact that during firing the frame flexes and your thought is a light prevents or restricts the frame from flexing naturally thus putting an undue strain on it?

I imagine it happens with all lights rail mounted lights.

I'd like to see the other thread if you still have a link to it.

I can't find the other thread, but there was something about the polymer frame flexing more than steel or alloy, causing breakage on the frame at the lite mount.

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I find it hard to believe but I guess it is possible. It should be fine. If a frame broke from having a light on it there would most likely already be something wrong with the frame before the light ever came on the scene. You here all kinds of internet rumer about 1911s and Glocks that are not true and very few are but there is always the exception.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#7]
A Glock frame broke from a light?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

There was a picture of a Glock 17 posted here somewhere recently with a broken frame due to a tac lite being on it-I can't find it now, maybe it was photoshopped
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:36:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There was a picture of a Glock 17 posted here somewhere recently with a broken frame due to a tac lite being on it-I can't find it now, maybe it was photoshopped

I saw that pick too. I strongly doubt this is a serious concern.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
You have to wonder what actualy took place before the picture was taken.  No pistol maker is perfect NONE and I can not see any of them making a gun with a rail that will break because you put a light on it. I would even expect better than that from HI Point or Raven or Lorcin. LAW suite city if they did that.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen the broken g17 frame you are talking about.  Just a guess I wonder if the broken frame was a result of a fall.  If you where to fall on concrete and hit the light at the right angle it could cause a broken frame like the one you saw.  Such force would probably result in a broken wrist also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top