Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 5:13:47 PM EDT
Ive been looking at getting a single action "cowboy" gun in 22lr/22mag and Heritage has them for cheep [$145.00], does anyone know of the Reliability of these guns?

Thanks, Dan J.

www.heritagemfg.com/

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy of mine has one, and it's a great little gun; very reliable. We had to bend the front sight a little bit to get it to hit to PoA, but once that was done, hitting cans of soda from 20yds is nothing. And for some reason, the thing refuses to rust. Seriously...he cleans and oils a gun as often as Mother Theresa smokes crack, and all it shows from this abuse is a little finish wear. Of all the stuff we usually bring shooting, it always seems to get a hell of a lot of trigger time, because it's so much fun to shoot, and so trouble-free.

Thanks for posting this, btw: it reminds me that I need one, but I want the Bird's head grips.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump for other opinions... I may have to get one of these myself.  Looks like a pot metal frame, which kinda scares me.  Do these things still lock up tight as the round count goes on?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:38:53 PM EDT
[#3]
No, they won't hold up. Yes, pot metal is involved in its frame. Personally, I would pass & get something else. A good used Ruger or Taurus would be the best value for the bang. S&W .22s tend to cost a little more than all the others, sometimes out to $400 for used .22 revolvers.

I also suggest avoiding the .22LR/mag conversion kit. The bore splits the difference between the two & as a result, neither shoots as well as it could, IMO.

General rule of thumb I have is, there's not a good quality .22 for under $200-225. Speaking of handguns only, of course.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:41:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Are these made in the USA or imported?

Thanks

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I THINK They are made in USA , the only ones made anywhere else is the big bore models and they are made in italy. I bought one when they first cane out . I think they are great guns mine has had several thousand rounds thru it , with no problems . I have sold several in my store and have never had a problem . They are one of my best sellers . I don`t think frame strength is a problem on this gun being it is only 22lr /22mag , you aren`t shooting handloads. I have found they will shoot some ammo better than others , as will any gun . I have found no accurcy problems with this gun even though it is bored for both , 25 yards it is as good as any pistol  I  have ever shot . just my .02  worth .  Buy it , shot it alot . enjoy .    GTNTN
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:54:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 3.75" mother of pearl birds head. For the money not a bad gun.
Mine only has a few hundred rounds through it, so I cant vouch for lockup after thousands of rounds.
When I get it there I'll let you know.
Aguila .22 Super Colibri's are fun to shoot with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks

I will look at one
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
No, they won't hold up. Yes, pot metal is involved in its frame. Personally, I would pass & get something else. A good used Ruger or Taurus would be the best value for the bang. S&W .22s tend to cost a little more than all the others, sometimes out to $400 for used .22 revolvers.

I also suggest avoiding the .22LR/mag conversion kit. The bore splits the difference between the two & as a result, neither shoots as well as it could, IMO.

General rule of thumb I have is, there's not a good quality .22 for under $200-225. Speaking of handguns only, of course.

If I'm going to be useing a single action I'm going to want it to shoot accurately. Thanks for the heads up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If I'm going to be useing a single action I'm going to want it to shoot accurately. Thanks for the heads up.

That is false. I have both a fixed 22 mag and a 22LR/22mag hand guns and both will group under and inch at 12 yards and 2-3 inches at 25 yards. Maybe on certain guns but not all. Any quality 22LR/22mag combo will be fine in the accuracy dept.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#10]
i had a birds head gripped 4" model.  sweet looking little pistol - i only paid $129 plus tax (of course)for it.  i cannot stand the "safety lever" that blocks the hammer.  maybe they don't use that on the newer ones.  

only problem i had was the ejection rod was not long enough to completely push the 22mag brass out of the cylinder.  it would drop out easily with a flick though.  

i would stick with the longer barrels, even though the 4" was cool looking, or just stay with .22 lr cylinder.

no, they are not rugers by any stretch, but around here they don't carry the price tag of the ruger.  for a knock around plinker, they're pretty good guns.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top