Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2002 7:52:52 AM EDT
Let me start by saying I never have bought a firearm as an investment. But...

over the years I've been lucky enough to come across a few bargains that were also unfired. For example, I found an unfired Winchester Illinois Sesquicentennial '94 that the owner need to sell. I happened to find an unfired 225 in its original case, a S&W M-27 with the original box and totally unfired and a Colt Police Positive that had sat in a drawer since the owner brought it home sometime in the thirties. So far these have just hidden in the safe and I've always had other handguns, in most cases other examples of the particular gun that I could shoot.

Still, these Safe Queens are resentful. they feel that they are unloved, that they deserve their time at the range. They send out waves of regret every night bringing torment throughout the dark hours so that I wake up feeling terrible and unrested. They cry so much that the relative humidity of my safe has risen to unacceptable levels.

So what do you folk do? How do you resolve this conundrum? How do you handle these confilcting desires, to preserve something as virgin or to take them out and put them to use?
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you plan on selling them for a profit some day, shoot them.

The exception might be the Winchester.  I haven't seen that one, but if it is one of the gold plated $5,000 models I would not fire it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Tough question to answer. If your investing in something whether its guns ,cars or whatever the less use it has the more its worth (low mileage cars get higher prices than high mileage ones )  

Unfired guns fall into that same category at least I think so. I know its hard not to fire that new purchase but think of all the things we own that we merely look at for the beauty they have. Also I think it depends on how rare the gun is on whether "To shoot or NOT to
shoot "  

I probably just confused the matter even more so just fire the darn thing . Happy shooting
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 2:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I just gotta shoot em.  Can't stand the thought of having one and not knowing what she will do or won't do.  I tried. It just sat there in the case taunting me day in and day out till I just loader her and fired away.  I've found it's easy for guys who don't shoot to collect.  Guys who shoot are like me and will shoot it someday so I just forget about not shooting.  Good luck on collecting and not shooting.
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#5]
If you can resist the urge, you have more self control then me.
Good luck.
Art in KY
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you planning on donating em to a museum? No? "Shoot em til they glow".

Meplat-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top