Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:31:39 PM EDT
I would like to carry a defense handgun when I ride my dirt bike.  

I ride in very foul weather - mud - rain - dust - you name it.  This is vigorous activity with lots of movement and sweat and good stuff like that.

I wish to carry discretely.  No need to alarm the sheeple.

I need something that works with gloves (although I might be willing to cut off the glove trigger finger).

I wear full gear including a chest protector.  I have a carry pouch on the front of the CP that might suit carry well.

I probably can't be relied upon to do more than cursory maintenance on the piece.

Price is part of the equation, but not the highest priority.

I'm mainly concerned with human preditors, but there are cougars in our riding area and I ride with my young daughters.

I'm an experienced handgun shooter and not recoil sensitive.

Soooo, what do you suggest I carry and how should I carry it?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry while on my four wheeler and the best way I have found is to use a back pack or cargo pack on the atv. I used to carry on my hip while riding but I crashed and it scratrched up the pistol left a nice bruise on me.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#2]
smith and wesson mountain gun loaded with 44 special rounds.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Ride witha Fag Bag (fanny pack) in front, closed against the enviroment and easy accessable with the pull cord to access your handgun.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
A Glock or CZ in a cross draw holster.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a G36 that I use when I'm on the 4-wheeler and the snowmobile. When I'm on the sled I put it in its holster, and put it in one of the pockets on the outside of the backpack where it is still easily accessible. When I'm on the 4-wheeler I use my Bianchi holster.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Have Chuck Norris ride in the bitch spot.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I have shoulder holsters for a couple of my pistols that I'll sometimes wear when I go riding. If I'm going to be woods riding I try to make it a point to take my 10mm if for nothing else running into a pissed off bear, or something. But other times I'll just end up going with whatever I happen to be carrying.
Whatever the choice I feel it's better to have it on your person in the event you find yourself separated from your bike.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a quad that I ride and the last time I took it out I rolled down a very steep hill.  The four wheeler landed on my back as we (the four wheeler and I) rolled down the hill.  My right leg was numb for an hour and I had to sit for probably a half hour before I got up, then I limped around for a little while before riding back to the trailer.

Anyway, a shoulder holster or even a belt holster would have been very bad in this situation, as it was my Gerber multi tool left an impression on my body.  However, the Glock 36 that I had in my Thunderwear was perfectly fine.  

I'm not sure that would work as well on a dirt bike, but that's how I carry on my quad.  Of course I have to stay on my feet while I ride, but that's how I ride regardless.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:14:18 PM EDT
[#9]
For your purpsoses, I'd go a 10mm Glock.  20 or 29.  How you wanna carry it is up to you.  Someone makes a holster that holds the gun accross your chest.  If it's outside of the chest protector it would probably be reasonably safe.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Fanny pack with the pouch up front. Carry whatever you like but wrap in a plastic bag (Ziploc type works well) to keep it clean and dry. If you have to shoot and don't have time to unwrap it just pull the trigger through the bag. Other than that maybe a tank bag but if ya lose the bike ya lose the gun.
I carry in my everyday belt slide and try not to wipe out too bad.

ETA; The military has had the answer to this problem for years. It is called the lanyard loop. Just attach lanyard cord to the butt and then somewhere on yourself. If it does pop out of where ever you won't lose it right away at least.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#11]
if you're handy with sewing machine or know someone who is, how about cutting off the tip of the glove for your trigger finger.  then sew velcro around the tip and the rest of the glove.  then you can have full glove for protection while riding and easily rip the tip off for shooting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Glock 20.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You folks like the Glock in 10mm better than a 45acp or 357 sig?

I'm sort of partial to 45s myself, but have an open mind.

I kind of like the SW mountain gun idea for the simplicity of a revolver but I wonder if a sweet Smith full of trail sluice would out function a Glockenspeil.  I've read some pretty brutal magazine tests of Glocks.

Anyone know how a Kahr functions full of grit?

Chuck Norris rides a scooter and breaks down in tears on steep downhills.  Pussy.

My bike is a KTM so a Glock would feel right at home with It's Austrian countryman...

I'm sort of leaning to fitting a cheap Fobus holster permanently into the chest pouch on my chest protector.  I'll have to find another place to keep the camera and Power Bars....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top