Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2005 9:15:15 AM EDT
I put this here for more viewing.

I was checking for a chambered round (1911) and this was never an issue with the stock magazines.  Yesterday for the first time I performed the same manuever with my aftermarket Chip Mccormick mag and noticed that the slide hung up from just that tiny bit of motion.  

It has been noted that to seat the magazine properly requires more force (due to the compression of the cartridge against the slide).  This of course causes more friction against the slide increasing poor feeding and extraction potential (which has been observed in very rare instances at the range and now I know why)

Please tell me the issues involved with modifying the magazine catch slot.  My stock magazines work great and it turns out that my Chip Mccormick mags ride a bit high in the well.

What issues would crop up by removing some material from the top of the slot (see pic).  My measurements reveal that it would require a MAXIMUM of 1/16in material removal but I would like to get input first.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
he who dares, wins

do it
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:59:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I think I would consider going to a heavier recoil spring, before making a modification to a mag that you can't reverse.

If your slide is hanging up maybe your spring is a little weak, try going up to the next heavier one, before you potentially ruin a mag.

At the very worst you'll end up with an extra spring....ymmv...  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I was checking for a chambered round (1911) and this was never an issue with the stock magazines.  Yesterday for the first time I performed the same manuever with my aftermarket Chip Mccormick mag and noticed that the slide hung up from just that tiny bit of motion.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Ditch the CM mags and replace them with Wilson 47s or Tripp Cobras

Thinking about getting the 47D's and doing the mod anyway!  To see what happens
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

doesn't mean anything,  your pistol could still be out of spec, and your org mags it happend to me. The Wilson 47's are the best
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top