Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2005 5:36:19 PM EDT
Hi.  I decided to take apart my Sig P228 tonight for a detailed cleaning.  I striped down the frame completely.  All went well accept the magazine catch.  I put the magazine catch detent in wrong.  Now the magazine catch does not work and I can’t get it out to fix it.  Damn!

The detent holds the mag catch in.  It has a shoulder on one side like a half-sphere.  I put the shoulder facing to the right if you are looking at the gun from the muzzle.  It goes in facing the left.  What can I do aside from pounding the whole thing out and ruining my frame?  There must be others out there that have done this.  Please help.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 5:57:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Try using a very thin jeweler's screwdriver to reach in and compress the detent/spring so the mag catch can be removed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#3]
gasoline and a match.....

burn that bastard out!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
One thing that has often worked for me in such situations is to put the gun down and leave it alone for a day or two. When you return to it, you may see the problem in a whole new light...seriously.

Good luck

+1.  If you continue to fool with it now, you will "F" it up.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:21:46 AM EDT
[#5]
You could always send it to SIGArms or find a SIG certified smith and let a professional fix it.  May cost a few bucks, but perhaps it's worth it at this point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:26:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One thing that has often worked for me in such situations is to put the gun down and leave it alone for a day or two. When you return to it, you may see the problem in a whole new light...seriously.

Good luck

+1.  If you continue to fool with it now, you will "F" it up.

Another +1. I took my Ruger P97 down like that when I first got it. Had lots of trouble getting all the trigger components back in. It took me a week messing with a few hours a day, but I got it back together and it worked. Or as others suggested take it to a gunsmith who is familiar with Sigs, I was almost to that point.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Not familair with this particular part and how it sits in this pistol.  So FWIW.  I have removed pins that were not in a terrible bind or under pressure  with compressed air and grease or pressurized water/liquid.  If you can force something past it, it may just pop out.   good luck
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Nuke from orbit it's the only way to be sure

really listen to him about taking a break I did the same thing with a trigger housing on
my pellet rifle. leave it be get a sammach,and beer come back when mojo is strong danya-son
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#10]
If you install the mag catch with it's retainer upside down, MOST of the time it has to be drilled out @ Sig.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top