Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 3:44:30 PM EDT
What do you guy's think about Rossi revolvers?

I helped a friend move last weekend -- and on the spot he asked if I wanted to buy a Rossi .357 Magnum, Stainless, Ported 4" for...$100 bucks.  Um, um...ahhh....hell yeah!

Another good reason to help friends move I guess...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Careful there.  That price sounds too good to be true.  I've heard Rossi's are slightly worse in quality than a Taurus, but otherwise roughly comparable.  It's still not a real S&W and the fit/finish reflects that.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
That gun was probably $189 new.

I think you'll be ok with it.  From the pictures the fit and finish looks top notch.

It's not a Smith of course, but you didn't pay for a Smith.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Careful there.  That price sounds too good to be true.  I've heard Rossi's are slightly worse in quality than a Taurus, but otherwise roughly comparable.  It's still not a real S&W and the fit/finish reflects that.  

Yeah - agreed Bob.  The guy paid $300 and only shot a couple boxes of shells through it.  It's darn near brand new.  (The thread pics aren't of "my" gun - I got those off of a gun auction site)

He's a close family friend (older guy), that is more than trustworthy.  He just offered this deal cuz we're like family, he's moving out of the country, and he doesn't need the money.  It's no S&W, but with the above info it's still worth $100 as a good, fail-safe bed-side gun - wouldn't you agree?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
That gun was probably $189 new.

I think you'll be ok with it.  From the pictures the fit and finish looks top notch.

It's not a Smith of course, but you didn't pay for a Smith.

Thanks - fit and finish are actually very good in person...the action is no S&W...you can tell.  

It wasn't that cheap new...especially in KALIFORNIA!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:14:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I might have low balled the new price a little.    It would probably have run $250 - $290 new in VA.

I remember the good old days when I bought a new stainless S&W Model 66 .357 magnum for $315 in 1995.  This was at a little gun shop in Hampton, VA.  He had some of the best handgun prices in town.  Too bad he was busted by the ATF a few years later for selling guns to "questionable" individuals without asking for proper ID.

FBI ranked his shop as No. 1 as the store of origin for handguns used in crimes in places like NYC and Philly.

But he always ran me through the process like he was supposed to.  Guess I didn't know the secret handshake.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Shoot it first! I got a similar great deal on a Rossi 357 mag revolver a few years back. It had adjustable sights. I had to adjust the rear sight to one side as far as it would go and then "allow" a little more room in where I held for point of aim. I traded it in for what I paid on a Dan Wesson and never looked back. I actually felt a little guilty about the trade in, so I left the sight adjusted all the way over so anyone looking at it including the dealer where I traded it could tell how bad it was. I even told him I didn't like the way it aimed. I know some guys with Rossi revolvers that say they like them. I guess my luck was just running true to form. I'd shoot it first!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Shoot it first! I got a similar great deal on a Rossi 357 mag revolver a few years back. It had adjustable sights. I had to adjust the rear sight to one side as far as it would go and then "allow" a little more room in where I held for point of aim. I traded it in for what I paid on a Dan Wesson and never looked back. I actually felt a little guilty about the trade in, so I left the sight adjusted all the way over so anyone looking at it including the dealer where I traded it could tell how bad it was. I even told him I didn't like the way it aimed. I know some guys with Rossi revolvers that say they like them. I guess my luck was just running true to form. I'd shoot it first!

I've heard that many of the lower-cost revolvers have cylinder fitting issues, something where the chambers/barrel don't line up 100% correct and bullets end up getting "shaved" on one side when they're fired, which adversely affects accuracy.  Anybody know what I'm talking about ?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:20:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I have two Rossi's. One is a .38 spl and the other is a .357 both are 2" subbies. They shoot just fine, fit and finish is about on par with the price level and are as accurate as a 2" snubby can be.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:32:32 AM EDT
[#9]
The newest Rossi revolvers quality is a little better.  Taurus now owns Rossi and it's now stamped into the Rossi revolvers that way.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Rossi is not bad. I owned one a few years back and while it wasn't a S&W it hit where I aimed. BTW that one is a 6" not a 4".
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Rossi is not bad. I owned one a few years back and while it wasn't a S&W it hit where I aimed. BTW that one is a 6" not a 4".

Kewl.

I was wondering who was gonna catch that!  Yeah, mine is a 4".  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top