Reliable?
Problems?
Iver Johnson in general?

7+1 capacity 22lr. small as hell.  Good to Very good condition, $150
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Found one for sale your thoughts?

My thoughts are a pocket 22 pistol is fine, if it is something you always have in your pocket. Always. Each and every day you breath, at all waking hours. That way you always know you at least always have it.

If I was going to do a pocket gun, in a .22, I already have two strikes. Failure is not an option.

I think revolver, natures way of of point and click.

Always works every round.

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone vouch for or bash Iver Johnson?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
At 150 I'd buy it.  Maybe offer 125 and work up.  But buy it, find out for yourself and let me know.  Even if it doesn't turn out to be 100% it looks like something rather unique and would be fun at the range.

It looks a lot like a Walther TPH.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#4]
?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I have been very happy with the Beretta 21 as a pocket/hideout gun.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#7]
There were several versions of these cheap, low quality guns made back in the 1980's.

These were cheap guns, and the slides and frames were made of cast Zinc, known as "Zamak".

These are NOT very durable, long lasting guns, and problems were very common.

With that said, a relative of mine who was a farmer bought one and put thousands of round through it, then gave it to his son who put more thousands through it.

It looks like crap with most of the paint-like finish gone, and it's VERY well worn, BUT..... it still shoots with reasonable accuracy and is surprisingly reliable.

Don't expect much quality, and be prepared to have problems, but if you get a good one it does make a good knock-around shooter.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#8]
buy yourself a 2005 model P22 and you won't regret it.  My AF datecoded P22 has about 700 rounds through it without a single failure.  It won't run you much more than the used Iver.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been very happy with the Beretta 21 as a pocket/hideout gun.

Sweet little piece.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a TP22.  It is a fun gun, but hardly something I could take seriously.  I paid 125 bucks for it on an impulse, and to be honest I have gotten my money's worth out of it.

The mags are made by Erma, and frankly I think the pistol was too.  I think Erma (mostly) made them, shipped them to Iver as parts to get around the GCA68 ban and they assembled them.  Erma offered an identical pistol on the European market.  

One thing to inspect before you buy it is the area around the trigger pin.  Remove the slide and carefully inspect that area- the frame is paper thin at that point and I have heard over the years complaints about frame cracking.

I would not shoot CCI stingers in the thing if longevity is an issue to you.  I have shot mine a good deal with cheapo Winchester Wildcats and it is a fun plinker.

The safety on the pistol works, but it will eventually develop burrs on it and result in sticky operation.  I just dressed the burrs with a file and went on with business of killing tomato cans.  Also watch the pin that holds the extractor in.  Mine came out when I was plinking and I lost the extractor.  Numrich Arms has parts, so I was quickly back in business.

If you want the pistol make sure it comes with both magazines that originally came with it, as replacements probably wont' be cheap.

Edit to add- the slide appears to be steel and the frame anodized aluminum, not zinc.    
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
The TP22 was actually my first gun . My Dad bought me it when I was 12 or so.

It went through countless .22 lr rounds . I loved it and really could shoot it well . Empty 12 ga. shotgun shells out to 25 yards were fair game . The whole gun is actually a kind of white color from all the use .    

Kinda wore it out though and its not very reliable anymore .  In its day my Dad carried once in a while in the summer .  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thoughts?  Bump for more.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 11:34:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd rather have my J22 Jennings in a pinch than nothing........
I have a rare one that'll land all head shots at 20 feet and has yet to jam on me (CCI Velocitor). 22's conceal almost anywhere, which I can't say for my SA 1911 MicroCompact.

Like I said, better than nothing.  The only gun to have when the world goes to shit, I don't think so, but better than no gun at all!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top