Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 5:19:49 PM EDT
I've always wanted one of these.  I shot one once years ago.  Anyone own one?

I mostly want it to plink as I have CCW's.  I'd likely get the .22LR conversion as well.  Would any owners buy it again knowing what they know now?  

What about the holster grip?

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
My uncle has one of these.  He's a retired LEO.  Dunno much about it other than he carries it all the time in a wallet-holster sort of thing and is very happy with his as a BUG.  His primary CCW is some sort of blued steel fixed-sight S&W snubby (I forget the model) loaded with full-house .357 JHP (CCI, I think).  He uses the NAA as a BUG.  I've only heard good things about these little guns.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought one a couple of months ago, just for grins.  I got the 22 lr version off of one of the auction sites.  The gun is fun but is basically worthless as a defensive weapon.  

I first tried it with the standard grip.  The recoil would flip the gun such that it was pointing up at a 45 degree angle.   There is just not enough of a handle to hold on to.  and it is single action requiring the hammer to be cocked each round

I then bought one of the folding handle grips.  I can now control the barrel flip but now the overall size is bigger than my seecamp 32.  

Mine is the 1-1/8" barrel.  Accuracy is about  4" groups at 10 feet.  The front site is very tall and there are no rear sites.  I think you are supposed to have a site picture with the full front site above the back notch that represents the rear site .  Again I wouldn't swear because of the limited reproducibility of the 4" groups.

My recommendation is get one as a very deep cover gun, but you will need to stick it at the back of the neck or in the belly to assure hitting your target.  Otherwise it is fun but not really practical.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:21:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the answers.  This is what I expected and I'm still going to get one.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:31:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I use mine for a bug.   It's not the most accurate gun, but I can shoot it ok. I have smaller hands too, so the regular grip works fine for me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I own the one with the plastic folding handle. I use it when I'm wearing summer minimal clothing. Nice little gun, .22mag placed up some perp's nostril should make them re-evaluate their priorities. Decent accuracy out to about 10-12 feet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I got one as a gift several years ago - can't hit jack with it.

I used to carry it (loaded with snake-load) in my pocket while cutting grass (before I realized just how badly I shoot it) - now I pocket a S&W AirLight .22 instead while doing so.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Just thought I'd post a pic of the NAA Black Widow

And a pic of one of these guns being fired in the dark:
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#8]
i have a mag with the 1 1/8" barrel, i swapped out the original stocks for rbber finger grooved ones similar to the ones on the black widow above. accuracy out to 15 feet is accurate enough to make an upper torso hit. ive also shot it at a 40 yard tin can range and accuracy out to 40 is pretty good. quality on these little pieces are very good and its actually one of my favorate pieces.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just thought I'd post a pic of the NAA Black Widow

My, my.  That is nice.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got the 22LR version with the 1 1/8" barrel.  It's definitely a belly gun.  The loss of velocity is evident with the short barrel and accuracy is nothing to write home about in my book.  That said, you can hide it anywhere on your person and it does have a big flash and is loud so maybe it would scare someone off  'cause it looks like a toy.  Get the pocket holster that carries extra rounds, even though you have to pull the cylinder to reload it, and it rides well in you pocket.  

You can use the hammer as the rear site blade for aiming.    
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I got one as a gift several years ago - can't hit jack with it.

Just don't shoot at men named "jack" then, IMO.  

I used to carry it (loaded with snake-load) in my pocket while cutting grass (before I realized just how badly I shoot it) - now I pocket a S&W AirLight .22 instead while doing so.

Snakeshot won't do this gun much justice, if any at all. This gun is strictly for a nostril/eyeball/ear shot; otherwise you're just play-shooting with it, IMO. This is why I chose the .22mag caliber over the .22LR/L/S versions. Lots of muzzle velocity/energy in the .22mag for an eyeball, but no where enough for a major bone.

My .o2

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked one up a few just a few months ago, and love it to death.  Way more accurate then I expected, and fun to shoot.  After putting 100 rounds through it I got to the point where I would be able to keep it from moving too much in my hand.

I don’t know about it being useless as a defense weapon.  For me it’s a backup, or simply a gun to carry when I absolutely need to make sure no one knows I have one.

It has its limits, but its fun and all the ladies think it’s cute and want to shoot it
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:40:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I called my favorite gun shop and she said I can get the Black Widow .22mag for $269 including the extra .22LR cylinder.  

We all realize what this gun can and cannot do.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Two words:  GUT GUN

My neighbor has one.  He ain't the greatest shot in the world, but he's a lot better than what that thing does.  To call what it does "grouping" would be being VERY generous.  It's more like shooting a pattern one pellet at a time.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would get the first one you pictured, what is the point of getting the most concealable pistol made then putting target grips on it.

I don't know about "target grips", but the plastic folding handle acts as a clip to hang on one's belt and/or pocket.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:29:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to update my rather scathing comments from the other day.  Went to the range today and gave the NAA .22 revolver another try.  

This time I used the folding grip and aimed along the top ( backstrap??) of the little gun.  By sighting with the entire front sight in the picture I was able to hold 1-1/2" groups at about 9 feet.  The little gun shoots better when you have a grip that you hold on to.

Anyway, it is not a target pistol but I could hit center mass at up 15-20 feet with 4 out of 5 rounds.  They are fun and everybody wanted to try it.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have to update my rather scathing comments from the other day.  Went to the range today and gave the NAA .22 revolver another try.  

This time I used the folding grip and aimed along the top ( backstrap??) of the little gun.  By sighting with the entire front sight in the picture I was able to hold 1-1/2" groups at about 9 feet.  The little gun shoots better when you have a grip that you hold on to.

Anyway, it is not a target pistol but I could hit center mass at up 15-20 feet with 4 out of 5 rounds.  They are fun and everybody wanted to try it.

Steve

Good news.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I have one in 22 magnum, 1" barrel.  Very nicely made gun, very high quality.  Fit and finish are excellent.  

I've shot it with the folding grip and the standard wood grip.  The word "evil" comes to mind when shooting it with the standard wood grip, and the folding grip isn't much better.  The previous comments that it rotates upwards 45 degrees are right on the money.

Also, I wasn't very successful concealing the weapon with that folding grip.  The top 25% (at least) of the weapon sticks out of my pocket in my jeans and that's a little self defeating for me.

Again, a very high quality gun for fit and finish, and an interesting gun at that.  I keep mine simply for those reasons.  But for defense?  Uhhhhh...........I think I'd get more cooperation with that weapon and a kind word than with just the kind word, but......

Mike
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#20]
I would recommend the .22LR over the .22 Magnum.  Lots of extra cost for no much change in performance.  The little gun will group fine, I regularly make head shots with mine out to the 7-yard mark.  I hint:  When holding the gun place your offhand thumb on the back of the frame (small grips) and then grip the gun.  The thumb effectively increases the size of the grip and lets you get a better hold, without requiring the larger grips be placed on the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top