Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 3:31:56 PM EDT
I've always leaned towards Glocks because I'm a lefty. No external safeties and I've adapted quickly to using the mag release with my trigger finger. I'm looking for a compact 45ACP, not GAP, and was just wondering what equivalents were out there. I know H&K and others offer reversible controls, but what are my options with other manufactures who offer setups identical or close to a Glocks?

I like my Glocks, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The Springfield XD...or one of the Kahr Series.

EDIT: my Spellin.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at the XDs, but a 45ACP is not offered in the 4" Service, much less the 3" sub-compact, which I think is what is comparable to a G30. I haven't checked out the Kahrs yet.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Check out the Kahrs.  They're good guns.    Smooooth double action triggers and THIN for easy concealment.

They just came out with a new .45.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Kahr
and an HK USP compact, with either the selector switch set up for a lefty, or DAO with not safety.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Kahr
and an HK USP compact with DAO with no safety. Varient 7 I'm pretty certain.  Mag release is easier than anything else I've ever used (I shoot hangund left handed too).
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
have you thought about the sig p245?  the mag release is reversible.  and the slide stop looks like you could hit it with your right thumb with little trouble.  and i wouldn't think the decocker would be a problem on the left side as you wouln't be using it much if you have to draw.  the standard mag is 6 rounds but you can get 8rd factory mags with a finger extension too.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Lefties can do slide lock reloads quicker than righties on Glocks.

When inserting the fresh mag, allow the middle finger of your right hand to continue up and hit the slide release.  Your right hand fingers are then ready to slide in between your strong hand knuckles as you reacquire the grip.

It's slick to see it in action and part of the reason why nobody likes you guys
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the opinions guys. Comparing overall size, mag-cap and controls, I'm thinking a 30 may still be the one that fits the bill. And, since I'm already familiar with the egronimics of the glock, it may be the most seamless route to take.

This isn't for CC so the thickness of the 30 never really came into play. Its new home will be in an armrest compartment that is just too small for my 21/w taclight. And since the new 30s have a rail, that issue is taken care of. The Kahrs look VERY nice, but I'm willing to give up a little in size for the extra few rounds of .45.

Thanks again for the input.

Now, if Glock came out with a .45 compact, about the size of the 23...that would be nice.

Have a good one!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Easier way to release the slide....slingshot it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I love my Glock 30.  No complaints whatsoever....
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
HK P2000. I believe it has  the option for controls on the right side like the USPs, it also has the LEM option with no safety and a light DA trigger, it also has an ambidextrious mag release and slide release. I think it is the most lefty friendly handgun available

ETA: sorry, didn't realize you were looking only at .45s. The HK45 should be coming out next year and it looks like basically a P2000 but in .45 configuration. Bigger than the P2000 but smaller than the USPF and has the same ambidextrious controls. I am also lefty and HK is my favorite handgun because they are the most left hand friendly pistols out there right now
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Now, if Glock came out with a .45 compact, about the size of the 23...that would be nice.

Have a good one!

Have you looked at the 36?  Pretty similar in size to the 19/23/32.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have a good one!

Have you looked at the 36?  Pretty similar in size to the 19/23/32.

Actually, the 30 and 36 have identical overall lengths, heights, and bbl lengths. The 36 is just a little narrower. A 36 is a great option for CC, since the 30 has always been considered a "little" fat.

Thanks again to everyone for their inputs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top