Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2005 5:28:29 PM EDT
Hello one and all,

I'm in the market for a RELIABLE itty-bitty, hide-almost-anywhere, back-up gun.

I had a Kel-Tec 380 about a year ago, and even after it came back from the factory for repair it still was not 100% RELIABLE.  But then I shot a Kel-Tec in 32 ACP a few days ago and it ran 100% in 200 round.

Not sure I want to try my luck with another Kel-Tec, so what about a NAA auto in 32 ? ?  Or a NAA revolver in 22 mag, or a Kahr PM9, or a ? ? ?

Need "something" other than a J-frame or a G-26.

I'm open for ideas, but I need a RELIABLE itty-bitty back-up gun.  

Thanks  ! !
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
sig p232.  pretty hard to beat that german engineering.  and they are made over there.  the heal mag release may take some getting used to.  but i liked mine.  and if you are comfortable with relying on .32acp then you wouldn't have a problem carrying .380acp.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
My PM9 has been drop dead reliable. I carry it every day, except for when I am places I cannot carry at all (like in Mexico this week).
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#4]
P2000 SK
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Glock 21
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#6]
For 100% reliable and no print handgun go with a Seecamp.  You can get a LWS 32 for less than $400.  Or you can order and wait about 2 years for a LWS .380

Great guns and one of the smallest available.

Steve
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Khar PM9

Barretta 32 auto

Kimber Ultra CDP in 45 ACP

Glock 26/27
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The NAA Mag is the only gun I have ever owned that never printed like a gun.  

+1

Smallest 100% reliable gun one can buy, IMO.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Colt Mustang
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:01:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I hope you are kidding on the P2000 SK

double stack HK?  for deep concealing?  geez... that is about as fat a pistol as you can get.

i think that HK marketing might have you under their spell..

Well, to my knowledge is close size wise to a G26.  And I know thats a popular firearm to "deep conceal".

All I can say is, if you can't conceal a gun like that, hit the gym and bulk up a little bit, or stop wearing spandex.

It has nothing to do with marketing either.  It has to do with the fact that all the HK's I own are dead nuts reliable.  If I had to put my life on the line, I'd want nothing less than HK reliability.  If I recall, he capitalized reliable...meaning that was what he was more concerned about.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:06:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
reliable huh.

did you see the sand tests somebody here did with the HK compact?  it was the worst performing gun out of about a half dozen handguns tested.  it required a detail strip to get running again, even the 1911s beat it...

and the glock 26 is only 1.18" wide...

You're an idiot.

Did you see the test where Larry Vickers put a USP against a G21 and a 1911 and it stomped them?

One test doesnt mean anything buddy, and that includes the one by Vickers, even though I'd trust him to conduct a fair test more than anyone else.  I'm speaking from experience here, not from what one person did in a meaningless test with so many variables that are impossible to control for that they really have no significance.

Either way, I'm not here to argue with you.  Stick to discussing stuff that you know about, and stuff that you have experience with.  Don't be so quick to accuse people of being vicitims of marketing.  I own 4 HK's and have put MANY rounds through them, and the only one that doesnt get thrown in a holster and abused is the MK23.  You obviously have no clue, and spreading around BS is not the way to "help" someone.  

I'd love to recommend some other firearms, but thats the compact that I have fired a decent amount.  It works just fine, so thats what I recommend.  Get over it.

Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]
HOLY SHIT ITS A TENTH OF AN INCH WIDER????

The horror!  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Kahr PM9
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Kahr PM9 that has been very reliable since I sent it back to the factory for an obvious defect and ran the first 200 rounds through it as suggested in the manual(truth in advertising). If you have larger hands, look at the steel Kahr Mk9 which has a slightly larger grip. My PM9 fits in my pocket or a small fanny pack or an IWB holster. I use 147gr ammo and have had zero problems unless I try to ease the slide down instead of letting it snap closed on its own. The offset feed ramps on the Kahr don't like the slide coming forward with anything less than full spring acceleration.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:44:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Bersa thunder .380
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry a NAA G380. (Front pocket in any clothes)   It's small enough.  The NAA G32 is way small.  They are reliable but heavy.  NAA guns are all stainless.  The Kahr is a little bigger but  very nice.

There is not a company with better customer service than NAA on the planet.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Ugh, find it yourself.  You went out of your way to bring up the G36 which has NOTHING to do with what we are discussing.  You obviously have something against HK that I will never understand since you feel the need to bring up completely unrelated stuff.  Stick on topic, stick with what YOU know.  You won't sound like as much of a moron.  

Maybe HK is responsible for dropping your on your head as a child, or raping your mother.  Whatever it is, I am sorry that HK wronged you, but please, get over it, and stop spreading around bullshit.

Maybe you should take your engineering background and look at a P2000 and a USP compact.  I'm sure you'll be able to figure out that they're different firearms.  I'm also sure that you'd be able to figure out (even though most of us do it by looking) that the P2000SK is a completely different handgun from either of them.

THEN, what you should do is inform certain members of the USN that some of the handguns that they use quite often are unfit for combat.  Because you certainly know better than them.  

For now, I'll stick with what I KNOW works, and I will base what I discuss online on what I know.  You can continue to do otherwise, and you can continue to look like an idiot.

Oh well, I give up.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#23]
CZ97B
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:41:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
my pocket pistol that i picked along with my write up on it.

Hey my dad JUST got one of those for xmas :)  Lovely little pistol I must say, and I love that barrel pop-up!  He got the black one though.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#26]
I experimented with the Keltecs and the Kahrs. The Kahr PM9 is the only one of the those guns
I would feel comfortable with and even then the reliabilty wasn't 100%.  

It caused me to go back to my old favorite- J frame Smiths (M642) or my G26 because
either gun has that 100% reliabilty.  However, neither the M462 or the G26 is  really small enough
for a good CCW but I would rather compromise on size than on reliabilty.

If I sold off some guns the Rohrbaugh 9mm seems like a good prospect but it is very expensive
at $900 to 1,000 per copy. That is a little too expensive to experiment with. I feel you have to own the gun and carry it for a while to know if its right for you or not.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 10:35:28 AM EDT
[#27]
a nice chart created by guys at thehighroad.org...

Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
reliable huh.

did you see the sand tests somebody here did with the HK compact?  it was the worst performing gun out of about a half dozen handguns tested.  it required a detail strip to get running again, even the 1911s beat it...

You're an idiot.

Did you see the test where Larry Vickers put a USP against a G21 and a 1911 and it stomped them?

One test doesnt mean anything buddy, and that includes the one by Vickers, even though I'd trust him to conduct a fair test more than anyone else.  I'm speaking from experience here, not from what one person did in a meaningless test with so many variables that are impossible to control for that they really have no significance.

Either way, I'm not here to argue with you.  Stick to discussing stuff that you know about, and stuff that you have experience with.  Don't be so quick to accuse people of being vicitims of marketing.  I own 4 HK's and have put MANY rounds through them, and the only one that doesnt get thrown in a holster and abused is the MK23.  You obviously have no clue, and spreading around BS is not the way to "help" someone.  

I'd love to recommend some other firearms, but thats the compact that I have fired a decent amount.  It works just fine, so thats what I recommend.  Get over it.

Must you resort to name calling !Spaceman has a valid point!
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
reliable huh.

You're an idiot.

the usp failed against the others bigbore's glock test which included a customer's hk

a close friend owns a usp and it has problems with ftf and sometimes fte
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I carry a NAA G380. (Front pocket in any clothes)   It's small enough.  The NAA G32 is way small.  They are reliable but heavy.  NAA guns are all stainless.  The Kahr is a little bigger but  very nice.

There is not a company with better customer service than NAA on the planet.

+1

I had the NAA .32 model and it was a little jewel.  Had the feel of a fine swiss watch.  I carried it in a Don Hume rear pocket holster and no one would think otherwise.  It printed just like a wallet.  It was the perfect pistol to have around when concealability was an issue.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZ97B

hahah nice.  

outstanding chart quantum pion.  that helps a lot.

Ok Ok Desert Eagle .50ae in a belly band.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
reliable huh.

You're an idiot.

Yes, I guess I must.  Valid points come from people who have experience and first hand knowledge about a topic, not someone who read about one test with x results.  I've said time and time again, I don't care what firearm the results favor, its a lousy idea to come to a conclusion about any handgun based on one test, and then talk about those firearms like you were the one doing the test.  To date, not one person has been able to control enough variables to make any of these tests worth while.  When I talk about my USP Tacticals reliability, I base it on what I KNOW, from my experience with it at the range, while it was in my hands, with me pulling  the trigger.  I do not base it on some rediculous test (even though the Tactical has a knack for doing very well, if not the best in almost every test I've seen it in).  Bottom line is, a USP Compact is not a P2000, or a P2000SK.  I guess I'd just hope someone with an engineering background could pick up on that.

Oh well.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#34]
The "Vickers test" is on 1911forum.  Look for it there.

Spacmann, Bigbore's test was great.  BUT the HK he tested was the compact.  Generally  compact versions of pistols are not as reliable as their full size counterpart.  Don't get me wrong, I loved bigbore's test, but I would've like to have seen it done with all fullsize pistols.  My USP has been pretty much "unstoppable".

Back to the itty-bitty thing.  Are the Glock 26 and J-frames too big?   I see that Detonics is back in business, and from what I hear, they're back up to the quality that they should be at.  You may want to check out them.  Otherwise I must +1 to the NAA Mag recommendation.

Rich
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:30:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Since you said "itty bitty", I will assume that you mean true pocket pistols.  Check the chart posted on page 2 of this thread;  these are all pocket pistols.  I own NAA mini-revolvers in 22LR and 22Mag, an NAA Guardian 32, a Walther PPK/S, a S&W 340PD, and a Rohrbaugh R9S.  All of these firearms have been 100% reliable for me or I wouldn't own them.  The one that leaves the house with me most often is the R9S, because I can conceal it in anything with pockets and it's a 9mm.  The 22's and the 32 are better than nothing, but I am confident that 9mm WILL get the job done.  

For what it's worth, I also own a couple of H&K USP compacts in 40S&W and 45ACP and they have each been 100% reliable with anything I've fed them after a few 1000 rounds through each.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:55:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Colt Mustang

I would second the Mustang.  Teamed with Thunderwear (which gives a spare mag), it goes everywhere, and anywhere.  Virtually invisable.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
IMHO there is not any super reliable pocket semi-auto.  If reliability is your first and formost concern, stick with a quality revolver.  Part of the problem is that pocket semi-autos are susceptable to limp-wristing failures since they require a stronger grip.

I like the NAA .22mag w/ 1 5/8" barrel for it's size, power, and reliability.  An airweight S&W J-frame is nice as well, but a bit larger - but I noted that you did not want one.

That being said, I carry my NAA Guardian in .32acp almost daily for backup and off-duty CCW.  It has not been 100% reliable, but for me it is a reasonable balance between size, power, cost, and reliability.  I like the Guardian slightly better than the Seecamp (sights, no problem shooting w/out magazine, can easily use FMJ ammo for practice, simpler dissasembly, better customer service).  I do not recommend dry-firing the Guardian due to the weak drawbar spring.

I've read mixed comments on the Kel-Tecs.  I recently qualified beside a guy that had a P32 and his malfunctioned several times.  (Admittadly mine had a couple of malfunctions that I think were due to limp-wristing).

After my rambling, try one of the NAA mini-revolvers.  (BTW NAA is working on a mini-revolver in .32H&R that should be out by next fall - somewhere between their mini-revolvers and a S&W J-frame).

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a Kel-tec P32 which is 100% reliable.  I would recommend it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#39]
OK. I hate tiny pistols but if I got one I would get a metal framed Khar (I hope I spelled properly), CZ Rami in 9mm or a small Glock in 9mm. That is the very smallest I will go. I usualy carry a G19 or an 8040 Couger with no problems.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Colt Mustang

Ditto, better BU pistol than most any listed here, especially if ya buy an older model.

Far more reliable than most listed.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:21:41 AM EDT
[#41]
my ittybitty bug
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Thanks gents  ! !

Really GREAT replies and info --

So . . . at the local toy show this weekend I picked up a NAA revolver, in 22 mag.  Tried it out yesterday and she runs 100%.    Shoots low, but I could hit a paper plate at seven yards most of the time.  However I realize that this little handgun is almost a "contact distance" weapon.  Really wanted to try another Kel-Tec, but just to many reports out there that they don't run 100%.

And please understand . . . .

This will be carried ALONG with my J-frame or a G-26.

I have come the conclusion than MOST itty-bitty autos will NOT be 100% reliable.  I have two FEG's (one in 380 ACP and one in 9 Mak caliber) that are the size of a PPK and with an alloy frame.  Both have been 100% reliable with any ammo in over 400 rounds each.  One of these will be the "smallest" handgun that I will carry alone.

Again . .  THANKS ! ! !
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:56:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Whats wrong with a good ole S&W 638?  14 OZs with 5 shots of %100 reliable 38+P...trust me, there is nothing wrong with that.

ETA: Just read whole thread. Above question is answered.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:28:33 AM EDT
[#44]
I'm not sure just how itty bitty your comfortable with. However , I have a INOX (SS) Beretta 21A 22LR (avail in another caliber as well). It is TINY and very reliable for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top