Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/21/2005 5:27:29 PM EDT
I am interested in participating in some type of handgun shooting other than straight paper punching at the 50ft indoor.  I have seen little bits about IDPA events and it sounds like it could be what I'm looking for.  I guess I'm wondering things like...

--How much does it cost to participate/compete/play? (how much ammo per event, range fee's, participation fee's)

--How often do they meet?

--What do they do (shoot at/around/through cool $h!t etc. etc.)?

--Is my stock G23 up to the task if I do my part?

--I live in S.E. Michigan...I don't see any shoots scheduled.  Fair/warm weather only, or what?

Any info you can provide would be a huge help.

Thanks,
Jeff

Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:35:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Most IDPA clubs run a match once a month or so. Average ammo used is about 150-200rds, from what I've experienced. Cost is normally about $25-30 per match. IDPA members usually get a bit of a discount as well as having their scores count for classification. Non-members shoot for fun, basically.

Procedural violations include dropping an empty mag on the ground after a reload. Kinda silly, IMO, but them's the rules. Pointing a loaded gun at the spectators can likely get you shot at. Pointing an empty gun at spectators can likely get you a halfway decent asswhipping.

Most shooters & RSO's are very nice & will help the newbies as much as they can. Rare are the jerks because they're usually told to not come back, IMO.

IDPA is lots of fun & can help you simulate the adrenline rush you experience in a real situation. NO, it will not simulate it, only help you learn how little you know & where your weak points are. Valid help, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most IDPA clubs run a match once a month or so. Average ammo used is about 150-200rds, from what I've experienced. Cost is normally about $25-30 per match. IDPA members usually get a bit of a discount as well as having their scores count for classification. Non-members shoot for fun, basically.

Procedural violations include dropping an empty mag on the ground after a reload. Kinda silly, IMO, but them's the rules. Pointing a loaded gun at the spectators can likely get you shot at. Pointing an empty gun at spectators can likely get you a halfway decent asswhipping.

Most shooters & RSO's are very nice & will help the newbies as much as they can. Rare are the jerks because they're usually told to not come back, IMO.

IDPA is lots of fun & can help you simulate the adrenline rush you experience in a real situation. NO, it will not simulate it, only help you learn how little you know & where your weak points are. Valid help, IMO.

My .o2

Just curious as to how many times you've shot in an IDPA match as a lot of your info is wrong.  Dropping empty mags is perfectly ok,  Dropping a mag with ammo in it is a penalty, you must retain the mag on you and you cannot fire again until your support hand is back in contact with your strong hand.  Around here most matches are 100-125 rounds and about 10 bucks to shoot for non members.  That will vary though.  You can only have 2 magazines on your belt and they must be behind your centerline.  You can have as many as you like off your belt.

You must draw from total concealment.  My main problem with IDPA is that you can only load your magazines to ten rounds.  You can load a barney round for your first mag to have a total of ten in the mag and one in the pipe.  I have 15 round mags in real life, if IDPA is supposed to mimic real life I don't get why I have to download them.  It will help you a lot but it can also develop bad habits that will get you killed in real life.  I'm fortunate enough to live in the state where IDPA was created and is ran from and the  nationals are held at,  Actually, they are less than 20 miles from my house.  IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA are all fun and will help you with skills you need to work on like reloads, and drawing and firing.  Accuracy and time both count.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My .o2

Just curious as to how many times you've shot in an IDPA match as a lot of your info is wrong.  Dropping empty mags is perfectly ok,  Dropping a mag with ammo in it is a penalty, you must retain the mag on you and you cannot fire again until your support hand is back in contact with your strong hand.  Around here most matches are 100-125 rounds and about 10 bucks to shoot for non members.  That will vary though.  You can only have 2 magazines on your belt and they must be behind your centerline.  You can have as many as you like off your belt.

You must draw from total concealment.  My main problem with IDPA is that you can only load your magazines to ten rounds.  You can load a barney round for your first mag to have a total of ten in the mag and one in the pipe.  I have 15 round mags in real life, if IDPA is supposed to mimic real life I don't get why I have to download them.  It will help you a lot but it can also develop bad habits that will get you killed in real life.  I'm fortunate enough to live in the state where IDPA was created and is ran from and the  nationals are held at,  Actually, they are less than 20 miles from my house.  IDPA, IPSC, and USPSA are all fun and will help you with skills you need to work on like reloads, and drawing and firing.  Accuracy and time both count.

+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been doing IDPA for about 5 years now. Dusty is right on.

I use it to hone skills and problem solving. It's helped me with some of my gross motor skills under pressure.

It was $10 in AZ and sometimes we shot 150 rounds. We also didn't always stick to strict, Bill Wilson/IDPA rules. We sometimes would run strings where we shot to slide lock and got to do a New York Reload. Love those because I carry a back up gun. Some of the rules are stupid, some make sense. Reloading behind cover is one. 10 round limit is another. You can thank Bill Wilson for that one.

You also are supposed to have an IDPA approved holster to compete.

I enjoy it most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:59:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been doing IDPA for about 5 years now. Dusty is right on.

I use it to hone skills and problem solving. It's helped me with some of my gross motor skills under pressure.

It was $10 in AZ and sometimes we shot 150 rounds. We also didn't always stick to strict, Bill Wilson/IDPA rules. We sometimes would run strings where we shot to slide lock and got to do a New York Reload. Love those because I carry a back up gun. Some of the rules are stupid, some make sense. Reloading behind cover is one. 10 round limit is another. You can thank Bill Wilson for that one.

You also are supposed to have an IDPA approved holster to compete.

I enjoy it most of the time.

Going to be doing a match when I get my pistol back (warranty work).    Spectated once.  Here in SoFla its $35 per match for non-members.  Don't know approximate round count.

Question:  Can I run the stage the way I want (within the scenario).  I'll be going mostly for improving gross motor skills too.  E.g.  Fire to slide stop, dump to floor, reload; regardless of the requirements.

I don't care if I get DQ'd.  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Our club shoots once a week and the round count varies from 60 to 100. We are an IDPA club so we go by the rules. I have enjoyed shooting the the matches for about 4 years and cannot believe how much my shooting has improved. We have lots of fun and the knowledge base to draw from is amazing. Lot's of different kinds of guns but mostly Glocks. Go to have fun and you will be amazed at how your gun handling skills wil improve.
Try this for information:
www.idpa.com   - Rule book etc.
www.idpafroum.com  - For other like minded people who enjoy IDPa
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:21:42 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a tactical fashion show where they also shoot some guns.

Question: Can I run the stage the way I want (within the scenario). I'll be going mostly for improving gross motor skills too. E.g. Fire to slide stop, dump to floor, reload; regardless of the requirements.

That's how I usually do it.  As long as you're not doing anything unsafe, shoot it how you like, if you don't mind being corrected every time you do something "wrong."  
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#9]
IDPA is lots of fun if safety precautions are taken. I have some serious issues about the "real-life practical aspects" of it, but that would be a rant for some other day. As long as it is approached for what it is (a game), it is enjoyable.

In my area clubs shoot a match once a month. Round count is between 50-100. Cost is between $5-$10, depending on the club. There usually is a nice mix of guns, from beautiful 1911s to ugly Glocks (both statements are redundant ).

Everybody is friendly and helpful to newbies, and most people come back for their second, third, etc matches. A couple of times per year we have three gun matches, adding rifles and shotguns to the mix.

A basic gun like a Glock 23, a Kydex holster, and a couple of mag carriers is all that is needed. Don't rush it the first time, take it slow, be safe, and fun will happen.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:23:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Question: Can I run the stage the way I want (within the scenario). I'll be going mostly for improving gross motor skills too. E.g. Fire to slide stop, dump to floor, reload; regardless of the requirements.

That's how I usually do it.  As long as you're not doing anything unsafe, shoot it how you like, if you don't mind being corrected every time you do something "wrong."  

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Rob Leatham has dropped by our matches a few times to shoot while I was active in Phoenix/Mesa. He's a funny guy and a fair shot.  

Most of the guys in our group are classed shooters and go to invatation only, high profile matches.

I remember one time when our orginanizer/range officer and 7 or 8 of us went for pizza after a match.

We were all out in the parking lot telling war stories and a carload of home boys pull up and start talking shit. Imagine if you pull up to a group of people to start some crap and all the sudden all 9 of them swing towards you, shirts pulled back and all have a combat grip on a handgun at their sides.....

Well, homeboys beat feet out of the AO and left skidmarks while doing it. We all went back to "what ifs" and whose shot would be the kill shot and who was packing what caliber. It was a riot. I think I was one of two who was carrying a .45 that night.

God, I miss those times. I can't wait till I get back to AZ.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Rob Leatham has dropped by our matches a few times to shoot while I was active in Phoenix/Mesa. He's a funny guy and a fair shot.  

Any tidbits/advice/stories that stand out in your mind?
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Just curious as to how many times you've shot in an IDPA match as a lot of your info is wrong.  

Then your matches are ran differently than the ones I shoot in, ok? I don't make the rules, I merely follow them, ok?

Link Posted: 11/22/2005 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag.

PS. :clikclikpull , Im also in S.E. Mi. (downriver area) . If you find some match shooting going on let me know .
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I shoot both IDPA and USPSA/IPSC. They have their differences, but don't limit your trigger time because you are a member of one or the other. IDPA is SUPPOSED to be more "tactical" while IPSC is SUPPOSED to be more "run N gun". It really depends on the local club and how the stages are set up. That said, I shoot both, enjoy both. Most match fees run in the $20 range and can consume from 100 to 200 rounds, depending on the COF and how bad you shoot. A word of advice here, if the round count is say- 125 for a given COF, take at least 250. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. The round counts are based on a perfect world, be prepared. Also, the holster requirements are different between the two. Here's a great site with lots of info on both-

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

Like I said, don't limit your shooting, do both, enjoy both. They are different, but trigger time is trigger time and you'll have a blast either way. Now once you've tried the handgun aspect of practical shooting, move on to the high octane side and try 3 gun. It's about the most fun you can have fully clothed and extremely addictive.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

better to be tactically correct then technically correct.  Use cover even when it's not specified, totally ingore round counts and seqence.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Now once you've tried the handgun aspect of practical shooting, move on to the high octane side and try 3 gun. It's about the most fun you can have fully clothed and extremely addictive.

+1

Everything else is simply a game, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:11:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not going to go into the specifics of the rules.  Generally the RO's will tell you what the rules are.  Dropping a magazine is a penalty if it's got ammo in it, or even if it's empty the slide is supposed to locked back(or the chamber empty if it fails to lock).  Other than that, drop away.  Sometimes they will mandate a tactical reload, which means you must retain you magazine.  

Equipement:  You need a gun, 3 magazines, a holster (a safariland 5183 is a good affordable option, check natchez).  The holster can't be crossdraw or a shoulder rig because you'd sweep the other shooters when you unholster..  I'd recommend an open top, belt holster.  If it has a strap, you have to use it.  (The uncle mikes have been banned in the new rules.)  A good sturdy belt (my recommendation is a Wilderness Instructors belt or the Galco equivelent).  A magazine carrier,, (Uncle mikes kydex belt, mag holder, is fine and affordable)  and some sort of concealment garment.  A jacket is fine, the 5.11 Vest is the most popular but unnecessary.  And finally eye and ear protection.

I shoot two larger local matches a month that are 15 dollars and about 120 rounds (usually bring 150-200 just in case) and one small (4 stage 50 rounds) matches each week that runs 5 bucks.  Within an hour's drive there is a match every weekend.  But that's in NC.  

Before I left Saline, they were running small matches at  the Tri-county sportsman's club in Saline.  The Michigan State Match was held in Brighton, so I'm assuming that they run a regular match at that club.  Get on the IDPA website (a google search will bring it up) and the have a list of IDPA affiliated clubs.  Then do some legwork.  I'd also assume that the gunstore in Fenton (can't remember the name) would have info on it.  

I know of two clubs in Berrien county (where I grew up) that have matches as well.  

If that doesn't work, check with your Hometown forum.  Good luck, it's a lot of fun.  Since I started this madness, I've gotten to meet Scott Warren, Ernie Langdon, Mas Ayoob, Dave Sevigny, Donnie Burton, and most of the Smith and Wesson team (Dave Harrington is a Hell of a good guy).  It's cool to meet your hero's in person.  

ETA:  There's video on our local clubs website that  might help.  The Range
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Here in SoFla its $35 per match for non-members.  

Where in South Florida do they have IDPA matches?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#20]
I'm using a stock G21C with a non ported barrel and the infamous $.25 trigger job. I have 3 ten round mags and 6 high caps. There is an advantage to using the high caps when loading Barney style in that the mag spring isn't fully compressed. Some Glocks will have issues with stock mags when doing the Barney load because of too much pressure from the mag on the bottom of the slide. Been there, done that, learned the hard way.

As for matches-

Go to the IDPA website and they list clubs and match times. I travel somewhat for my job and try to squeeze in a match or two each trip. I'm not picky here, IDPA, IPSC, I just want to get some trigger time.

That said, don't get caught up in the IDPA/IPSC debate. There are vehement supporters on both sides, but each style of match has its strong points. IDPA doesn't usually allow for creative problem solving on a stage. Your targets must be engaged in "tactical" order, some rules about cover and mag changes would get you killed in the real world, remember, it's just a game. It will improve your shooting skills, but that's about it.

If you get creative on an IDPA stage you WILL be accused of gaming and incur a FTDR penalty. (Failure to do right, aka the Dudley Sanction if you're into IPSC). So any talk of the "problem solving" aspect of IDPA is pure crap for the most part. They want you to shoot the stages as designed and not stray from the script. Gaming is something that IPSC shooters do in that we count rounds per stage, shoot targets as we see them, and get downright creative on how cover is used. Case in point, I shot a 3 gun match a while back under IDPA rules. Part of which kept any rifle mag from being loaded with more than 10 rounds, go figure. This shotgon/rifle stage had the rifle section shot from behind cover of the open door of a van. With no interior panels, I decided it would be best to shoot the stage with one foot inside the van and the other in the structure of the van door, thus staying totally behind cover with not even my legs exposed and using the door as a gun turret to engage the rifle targets. Gaming they said, but hey, I was more behind cover than the rules stipulated. Didn't matter, it wasn't "tactical" by their stage design.

Most guys at the club level in either style aren't range lawyers and won't give you any crap if they find out you shoot both. There are others in each camp that will give you no end of grief if they find out you shoot and enjoy the other style. My advice to you is go shoot both. Don't invest in a bunch of stuff that won't be legal for IDPA or IPSC as most clubs will let you shoot what you bring so long as it's a safe rig, ie no cross draw or shoulder holsters. Decide what you like best before spending coin on anything other than ammo and match fees. You will have fun at these matches, regardless of what style you like.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:49:59 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here in SoFla its $35 per match for non-members.  

Where in South Florida do they have IDPA matches?

I re-checked and it is $15 per non-member and $10 per member.

Matches held on the second Saturday of the month at Trail Glades park (right near Miccosukee Casino).  Sign in is at 830am ( )

Trail Glades Gun Range    
17601 SW 8th ST.
(305) 226-1823  

Night matches held on the fourth Tuesday of the month at Markham Park in Ft Lauderdale.

Here is the link with all the info.  The gentleman to talk to is Frank Akey (his email is on that page on the right hand side)

dan
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]
I shoot with TSSA in Fort Lauderdale and Miami.  If anyone has any questions regarding our club they can PM me or visit our discussion boards on our site.

For the record, TSSA currently hosts 4 matches a month.

IDPA and drills on 1st Tuesday night at Markham Park in Broward County, 6:30 PM $25 for non-TSSA members
IDPA on 2nd Saturday at Trail Glades in Dade County, 8:30 AM $15 for non-TSSA members
SFDCC rifle match on 4th Tuesday at Markham Park in Broward County, 6:30 PM $25 for non-TSSA members
IDPA on 4th Saturday at Markham Park in Broward County, 8:30 AM $20 for non-TSSA members

Relevent links
TSSA Calendar
TSSA Fees & Dues
Find an IDPA club near you
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:23:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I--How much does it cost to participate/compete/play? (how much ammo per event, range fee's, participation fee's) $10-$25 at our club depending on your membership status
--How often do they meet? 3 times a month for IDPA at our club
--What do they do (shoot at/around/through cool $h!t etc. etc.)? If you can translate this question into english I will try to answer it
--Is my stock G23 up to the task if I do my part? absolutely
--I live in S.E. Michigan...I don't see any shoots scheduled.  Fair/warm weather only, or what?can't help ya there.  I live in South Florida and we only stop for hurricanes

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#24]
www.livingstongunclub.org/club/

I believe that they run IPSC in Brighton. They are a great group of guys.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 1:36:05 PM EDT
[#25]
It is a lot of fun and can teach you a heck of a lot about handling a pistol in (simulated) real life conditions. It doesn't cost much to get started, normal carry pistols work fine (I use a Browning High Power but 1911's and Glocks are the most common).
The shooters that have come over from IPSC etc. refer to IDPA as "I Don't Practice Anymore"
That just about sums up the far more relaxed and fun atmosphere of IDPA.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Damn.  Y'all get to fire a lot of rounds.  Our matches are usually less than 50 rounds.  This is really due to time constraints.  We get half of an indoor range on Wednesday evening from 5 until 9.  That means squads of 6 or 7 every hour and 9 in the last squad.  If you're going to move 7 people through a course in an hour, you're really limited to 3 or 4 stages.  IDPA stages tend to be short anyway so our round count is low, but we get the maximum number of folks involved every month.

Here is all you need:

Gun:  Your Glock is fine.  You'll be shooting in SSP like more than 50% of the rest of the shooters.
Holster:  A fobus works, but you will never regret spending the $60 for a Blade-Tech.
Mags:  Three are required, but if you have more, it makes life easier as you can load for an entire match.
Mag pouch:  Just something to hold the two spares.
Cover garment:  Any light jacket or vest works.  Even a button up shirt works, but they are so light that it makes drawing more difficult.

That's really it.  Don't get too worked up over the types of reloads and holsters and such.  Tell the RO that you are new and they'll go easy on you and walk you through it.  Most clubs are pretty easy going.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks a lot for the information danpass and in_burrito.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:57:59 PM EDT
[#28]
hey clickclick, if your in se MI, check into racoon hunters in roumulous,  idpa, & ipsc hosted events there.  I too will be a first time competetor this year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top