Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2005 2:34:28 PM EDT
Okay, question time...

I'm looking to pick up a P99 for myself and eventually one for the wifey...   Anyone got exp with them?   the P99 feels great in my hand but I havent had a chance to fire one (looking at .40S&W)

Pro's, Con's... anything anyone wants to let a handgunning newb know about this particular model?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I love my S&W 99 .40.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Walther.  No problems at all.  The newer models and the S&W versions had a standard rail, most of the Walthers have an odd-ball proprietary rail.  If the rail's important to you, get the S&W or a later model Walther.

The gun is reliable as all get out.  Easy to shoot in 9mm.  I have no experience in the .40 version.

As you've notice, they're very comfrotable in the hand, and the switchable backstraps allow adjustments.  It comes with three different backstraps.  I like the grip angle far better than the Glock.

The gun produces good accuracy.  Not as good as my P7M8, but about the same as my CZ-75/Sig, and just less than my Beretta (but only because I've been shooting the crap outta that lately).  Certainly as good as anything out there for the same price.

The controls are easy to use.  The striker de-cock is easy to get to and use on the da/sa models.  On the other models you don't use it anyway except for disassembly.  The mag catch is the same as on the P7/USP and can be operated by lefty or righty easily.  The striker protrudes out the back when cocked, so it will indicate a cocked condition by sight or feel.

I have the green DA/SA model.  DA is easy, SA is not bad either.  The trigger has a different feel though.  It probably won't bother you much if you've shot revolvers, but if some people just don't care for it and shoot the gun poorly because of it.  I like the trigger, but it is hated by others.  I'd say if there's one feature you need to "try before you buy" it's the trigger.  If you like the trigger, the gun will be great.  If you don't like the trigger, the gun will suck for you.  This is really what would define if the P99 is right for you or not.  If you can, shoot one before you buy.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both the S&W99 and a compact P99 Walther. I love these guns.

I was able to rent a S&W99. 1st time I rented it, I was not a fan. But, I was looking for an excuse to get a 2nd Beretta. The Beretta proved to not be as accurate as my first, however, so I sold it.

I ended up renting the SW99 2 more times. I loved it the 2nd and 3rd time. I was shooting the rental as well as I shot my long barrelled Glock 34.

I finally decided to sell my Glock 26 after carrying it for 8 years, and I got a compact Walther to carry. I also wanted to get a full-size 99, but they have quit importing the A/S trigger version, and I finally gave up and bought a S&W99 at an awesome price $437.

I love the SA trigger pull on the gun.

I would not recommend the newer QA trigger. It is the same on every shot (like a Glock, not DA/SA), but it has a heavy trigger. Look for the A/S trigger. You will be very happy with the gun!
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I have both the 9mm and the .40.  Wouldn't get rid of either.  SA trigger is unbeatable for a stock gun.  DA is loooooooong but crisp.  

If you need a holster for carry, I'd recommend the CTAC.
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the SW99 in .45acp, nice little gun, IMO.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
[shameless plug] I’ve got an early Walther 9mm for sale in the EE [/shameless plug]

It fits my hand quite nicely, but I didn’t like the trigger pull. Though, I admit that I didn’t give myself enough range time to become accustomed to it.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
i loved my SW99 in .40 but it wouldnt feed wolf ammo without FTE's so it had to go.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an all German 40 P99. Been 100% reliable, shoots great, feels great, MUCH more ergonomic than a glock or USP. Plus, 007 uses it, and he gets all the pussy .....that feature seems to deactivate though once married.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#9]
.40 P99 QA owner and have been pleased with it since day 1.  Haven't run into a single problem.  Pop over into the Walther forum for some info on the P99 or P99QA.

From what I hear in regards to the Walther vs the SW, both are quality--it's more a question of which design you like.  Really all SW did was change the outter look around.  The innards are still basically the same as the Walther.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 1:38:28 PM EDT
[#10]
S@W99 .40 cal.  :  2.5"-3" accurate at 25 yards - decent SA trigger - long but smooth DA trigger - easy take down for field stripping - captured recoil spring (no spring launches for those of us with butter fingers) -  Overall not a bad pistol.  

Only complaints: It is tough to remove NEW fully charged mags with the lever style mag release,  and the location of the the decocker  BUTTON on the top left side of the frame, (a sig style decocker would be a major improvement).
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]
My buddy has a Walther P99. While he's got those little girly hands versus my manly huge hands, he's got the grip to something I don't like. However, I can tell that if I changed the backstraps, it would fit fine.

I don't necessarily like the location/function of the decocker, but...it works.

The trigger takes getting used to, but once you figure it out, the thing with double tap like there is no tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I have one P99 in 9mm and one P99 in .40S&W.

The P99 is one awesome pistol.  Very ergonomic and light.  Smooth shooter.  Easy to dissamble/reassemble.

The only downside I can see would be magazine availability.  I still don't have any high capacity mags for them.  You can servive with 10 round mags though.

Edit-I love the fact that there is no "safety" on the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The P99 is one awesome pistol.  Very ergonomic and light.  Smooth shooter.  Easy to dissamble/reassemble.

The only downside I can see would be magazine availability.  I still don't have any high capacity mags for them.  You can servive with 10 round mags though.

I have bought a couple of 16 rounders for $34 lately locally. But, I have also seen a few people selling them on the various gun chat websites. U can find them if U want, but they do cost a few bucks more that way...
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have bought a couple of 16 rounders for $34 lately locally. But, I have also seen a few people selling them on the various gun chat websites. U can find them if U want, but they do cost a few bucks more that way...

Wow, I can't spell "survive" !    Yeah, I've seen a few 16 rounders (online), but they've always been out of stock.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't buy a P99QA. It is a cool pistol, but the QA trigger is too heavy for me to shoot accurately. Haven't tried the other models.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Couple things:

On the decocker location: I think this is one of those things that makes the P99 so distinctive.  It's smooth and built right into the slide--seamless.

On the new full mag release prob:  I don't know if you're using only one mag release but whenever I have 1 in the chamber and a full mag, to release it I usually always reach around with my thumb AND my pointer finger on my right hand while holding, hit both levers and it slides out no prob.  If you just do one, sometimes it will not slide smoothly.  Lil tip you might wanna try.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#17]
i have had the p99 9mm for about 4 years great guns !
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Only complaints: the location of the the decocker  BUTTON on the top left side of the frame, (a sig style decocker would be a major improvement).

That is one of the things I like best. Completely snag proof and smooth, easy to hit with the supporting hand thumb. If you can snag this pistol on a draw or reholster there is something wrong with the shooter.....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, I can't spell "survive" !    Yeah, I've seen a few 16 rounders (online), but they've always been out of stock.

Went to Sportsman's Warehouse last week and picked up a 12rd mag for the .40.  It was $33.
Went today and they had two 15rd mags for the 9mm.  Only $24 each.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top