Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2005 10:31:46 AM EDT
I know this might have been posted in the HK forum, but I wanted some input from other than die-hard HK fans.  I like the idea of the P7 pistol, mostly because of its mechanical operation.  What about being able to conceal it?  Are there enough (or any) advantages over what I am used to for cold weather wear, a Glock 19?

I just called the local gun shop, which stocks the P7M8 for $1450.  Damn that is a lot of money.  Is it worth it?

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
That price sounds way high, even for new.  I would buy a well cared for used one.  I bought a PSP a couple years ago for $700.  That new gun smell does nothing for me.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a very, very cool gun.
Super accurate, smooth ( bore axis sits real low in the hand like the Glock), squeeze cocker is cool, and all the fit and function of an HK.

Downside is that it's gas operated so it has to be cleaned regularly (unilke the Glock) and is expensive. Parts are not easy to find or cheap.

For daily carry, you will need to really train into your habits the use of the squeeze cocker. It is a different animal, and if you don't know it well, it could let you down in a critical moment.

For me the Glock 19 is a better gun for CCW, but I would not hesitate to add a P7 to my collection.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You can gat a P7 M13 cheaper than that.  That is way high.  Great gun.  Unique as hell.  Try to find a way to shoot one before you buy one, they are wierd and can take a lot of getting used to.  Very nice though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:43:34 AM EDT
[#4]
This is just my opinion....so take it with a grain of salt....

I had one.....

1. It ran PERFECT
2. It was damn accurate
3. They are very cool and look just as cool.
4. In my opinion the best design for a carry gun.

I say best design for a carry gun due to speed of readyness and also safety. BUT I go out to the range and shoot my guns way more then I carry them. I love to go out and run 10-20 mags full of ammo through a handgun is one session...easy.

You shoot 2 semi-fast mags full through this thing and you are about to drop it on the concrete because it's burning your friggin' hand. I sold mine for that reason and that reason only. The gas operated part of the desing makes the gun heat up very fast. If you want to just carry the gun and probably never shoot it...OR...just take it out and run one mag through it and set it down while you shoot your other guns...BUY IT.......otherwise there are alot more practical guns that I would pick up in place of it.

My $0.02
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no other 4" 9mm that you can carry that is more concealable than the P7M8 or P7PSP (even more since it has heel mag release).  It's very accurate with a crisp SA trigger that rivals 1911's.

It's very safe as you have to exert about 14 lbs of force to squeeze the cocker.  Once the cocker is squeezed, it only takes about 4 lbs to keep it there.

I personally love my PSP, but after shooting DA alot with USPs, I find the trigger too light for me actually.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 11:45:15 AM EDT
[#7]
one reason the price is so high is that they are no longer in production.  and the version in 40sw has conventional rifling.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 11:54:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Jerry's Sport Center has them listed right now..in stock at 4 different locations.

JSC Number HKG045002
Manufacturer HECKLER & KOCH GUNS
Man. Number 045002
Title H&K P7M8 VAR1 9MM BLUE
Description H&K P7M8 VARIANT 1 9MM SEMI-AUTO PISTOL BLUE 3 DOT SIGHT 2-8 RND SINGLE STACK MAGAZINES
Quantity Price None
Price Each $1,175.00

My Dealer let's me browse the site with his log-in.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#9]
The P7M8 and the PSP are not the same gun.  The PSP has the European mag release on the heel.  The PSP does not have the plastic guard above the trigger.  That plastic guard protects your finger when the gun heats up and it does heat up quickly.  It is not a gun to be shooting a couple hundred rounds in one setting.  

The P7M8 is a classic and $1400 is high, but not terribly so.  Remember, a gun store does have to make a profit and dealer cost is near $1200 at this point.  They have been discontinued.

I looked at one and finally decided against it.  Its just too different from my other guns.  The manual of arms is just too different for me to get used to.  Neat guns though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a very, very cool gun.
Super accurate, smooth ( bore axis sits real low in the hand like the Glock), squeeze cocker is cool, and all the fit and function of an HK.

Downside is that it's gas operated so it has to be cleaned regularly (unilke the Glock) and is expensive. Parts are not easy to find or cheap.

For daily carry, you will need to really train into your habits the use of the squeeze cocker. It is a different animal, and if you don't know it well, it could let you down in a critical moment.

For me the Glock 19 is a better gun for CCW, but I would not hesitate to add a P7 to my collection.

The P7 IS NOT gas operated.  Gas is vented into a cylinder below the fixed not tilting barrel, the slide has a gas piston attached to it to use gas to hold the action closed and delay the blow back operation.  It is blow back operation with gas delay.  The more you shoot... the hotter the frame will get.  That is why there is a plastic heat shield above the trigger guard (inside) on the P7M8 and P7M13.  Early P7s had a smaller trigger guard and did not have the plastic heat shield.

GREAT pistol... very accurate.  Rusts very easily and because of the short slide, it always seemed to me to be unstable in an inside the waist band holster.  The M13 even more so because of the heavy butt of the weapon with the hicap magazine, seems to pull the weapon out of the holster when I sat down.

I recommend formal training and many rounds down range to learn the weapon as it is different from all other in operation.

BIG POINTER... and proper method of operation from holster.  

Upon draw, lightly grip the weapon being sure NOT to engage the squeeze cocker.  As you come on target/threat and are aligning the sights depress the squeeze cocker to cock the weapon ( be sure to have finger off trigger).  After engaging target/threat release pressure on the squeeze cocker AS SOON AS YOU LOWER the weapon!  BE SURE TO RELEASE THE SQUEEZE COCKER BEFORE YOU ARE ANY PLACE NEAR THE HOLSTER.  Finger off trigger of course.  Holster weapon.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES SQUEEZE/ENGAGE THE SQUEEZE COCKER WHILE THE PISTOL IS IN THE HOLSTER OR AS YOU DRAW!  DO NOT HOLSTER THE WEAPON WITH THE SQUEEZE COCKER ENGAGED!!!

With the short stroke light trigger you can press off a round very easily.  There have been NDs when holstering the P7 series with the cocker engaged and the finger in the trigger guard.  

You CAN have an ND, IF you press and hold the trigger back THEN engage the squeeze cocker.  The pistol does not care which order the action happens.  Cocker then trigger or trigger then cocker will cause the weapon to fire!

I wish I still had both of mine!

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:45:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Everything you'll ever want to know about the P7 series

Cult of the P7
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#12]

It is not a gun to be shooting a couple hundred rounds in one setting

a couple hundred rounds...maybe with oven mits on

Honestly, I ran 2 quick mags and that gun was too warm to hold comfortably...and it was the P7M8, with it's very effective plastic heat shield

Again, I am not knocking the gun......it's just for people that don't actually shoot their guns for fun.

Here's a pic of my old one.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I have yet to experience the P7 heat problem. Then again I only have 2 mags.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 2:40:35 PM EDT
[#14]
A minor point but, I don't like the audible "CLICK" that's made when cocking prior to firing.  Could be a tactical liability.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:16:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a M8 and a M13.
Won't be selling either one.
The M8 is an ideal CCW, either IWB or shoulder holster.

Link Posted: 11/1/2005 7:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a M8 and a M13.
Won't be selling either one.
The M8 is an ideal CCW, either IWB or shoulder holster.

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/51375740/original.jpg

Sure would like to have a set of those Nill Grips

Link Posted: 11/2/2005 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Its easily one of the best, highest quality production firearms ever. Nothing on it is simple or cheap to make. I love mine to death. I shoot it VERY well, its easy to carry, and hell, its sexy.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Rusts very easily and because of the short slide, it always seemed to me to be unstable in an inside the waist band holster.  The M13 even more so because of the heavy butt of the weapon with the hicap magazine, seems to pull the weapon out of the holster when I sat down.

I guess it doesn't matter to you anymore, but Mitch Rosen makes an IWB holster specifically for P7s for this reason.  It's the ARG.  They're expensive, but hell, it's for a P7!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top