Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 10:49:19 PM EDT
OK, I've recently gotten into pistol shooting.  Yea, I shot as a kid, but nothing serious.  Anyway, I've hit the range a few times w/ some of my recently inherited pistols and had a blast, but the ammo cost is killing me.  Also it's a pain going to the range because it's a half hour away.

So it dawns on me that a 22 pistol might provide plenty of cheap practice.  My dad also had two of those.  While I was buying a brick of 22, I saw the air pistols.  On a whim, I picked up an airsoft one (shoots 6mm plastic BBs) made by Crosman that is a replica of a Walther P99.  It came w/ 100 BBs and this cool gel target that you use over and over.  Also, it's a spring job, so no CO2 cartridges.

Tonight, I pull it out and play w/ it in my garage and it's pretty damn fun and fairly accurate considering it cost all of $18.

At 3 yds I can keep all 13 in the 6 inch target without aiming (coming up from the hip and firing), and at 5 yds I can put them all in the target with one hand (for some reason, I'm about as good one handed as two).  I couldn't test it further than that as I have a small garage.  Tomorrow, I'll take it outside.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:54:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Cheap pratice but train with "real world calibers" If your buying ammo at a gun store chances are good you are paying WAY to much. Surf the web and this site for good deals just dont forget to factor in shipping.

Happy shooting, m-dc.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Reload. Initial costs are kind of high to get set-up but if you shoot much it will pay for itself quickly.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#3]
i have been buying all of my ammo online for some time now.  i generally buy at www.natchezss.com, www.sportsmansguide.com, or www.ammoman.com.  if you are shooting 9mm though i hear its really not worth reloading as you save very little over the long run.  the only major pistol rounds that i hear are worth the time and energy are 10mm and larger as well as any magnum.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Iwould do the research on it yourself. It depends on how much you are actually paying for ammo vs. what components actually cost you. Whenever possible buy components in bulk. 1k for primers, bullets whenever posible instead of 100 at a time(this is possible in some caliber/applications). Once you decide on a good powder for your purpose buy 2 or 8 lbs. as your needs dictate. Brass can be found cheap in a number of ways depending on caliber. Even range pick-ups. I know a lot of people scoff at range pick-ups but if you sort through them and remove the bad cases there is little to worry about especially in pistol brass.

In a nutshell primers cost around $20/1k. Powder about $18/lb, less in bulk. You have 7000 gr. per lb so figure how many rds/lb you can get. Example: 9mm charges run from about 5-8 grains for different powders we'll use 6.5 gr.

powder($18)-.0167
primer($20)-.02
bullets (hornady 115 gr. fmj 500/$29.59)-.059
Brass I'll let you figure-range pick-ups free

So with range pick-ups you are looking at .0155/ rd. That's just under $15.50/100. Brass for pistol will usually last for many, many reloads if you don't overload so it is not as costly as some may lead you to believe. Decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So with range pick-ups you are looking at .0155/ rd. That's just under $15.50/100. Brass for pistol will usually last for many, many reloads if you don't overload so it is not as costly as some may lead you to believe. Decide for yourself.

Or you could just go to Wally World and get WWB 9mm for $11.50/100.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:26:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Walther CP99 and it's just the thing to tide me over between trips.  Since it doesn't go "bang" and can shoot single-action it's a good tool for eliminating flinch.  Shooting it rapid fire double-action is great practice for keeping the sights lined up.  And it's just plain fun to shoot.  
Enjoy your new toy.  You'll be finding those damned plastic bb's everywhere soon!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:32:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Walther CP99 and it's just the thing to tide me over between trips.  Since it doesn't go "bang" and can shoot single-action it's a good tool for eliminating flinch.  Shooting it rapid fire double-action is great practice for keeping the sights lined up.  And it's just plain fun to shoot.  
Enjoy your new toy.  You'll be finding those damned plastic bb's everywhere soon!

yea I don't look forward to that
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or you could just go to Wally World and get WWB 9mm for $11.50/100.

Ok Win. 115 gr fmj-2000/82.99. That makes it $7.82/100. You can make 'em just about anyway you want.

Plus I'm figuring it using 1 lb. of powder and not from an eight lb. keg which would make it a little less.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Plastic BBs: They make some sort of biodegradeable (dissolves/rots away) they use where I train. Don't have to worry about finding them everywhere.
Reloading: I've run the numbers, 9mm just isn't worth the time. I haven't found jacketed bullets that are cheap enough. Just remember, your time is worth something. On my 650 I can do about 500 in an hour. That's about $10 savings. In 45 and 10mm, especially 10mm, you can reload for about half or less. When you get to 44mag or the non-mil rifle calibers you get the really big savings. $90+ for a box of 20, or I can reload for about $10, and use the really good bullets.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Plastic BBs: They make some sort of biodegradeable (dissolves/rots away) they use where I train. Don't have to worry about finding them everywhere.
Reloading: I've run the numbers, 9mm just isn't worth the time. I haven't found jacketed bullets that are cheap enough. Just remember, your time is worth something. On my 650 I can do about 500 in an hour. That's about $10 savings. In 45 and 10mm, especially 10mm, you can reload for about half or less. When you get to 44mag or the non-mil rifle calibers you get the really big savings. $90+ for a box of 20, or I can reload for about $10, and use the really good bullets.

It's better than sitting on the couch watching the tube. Not necessarily your case. Besides I would rather reload than buy factory. It is true some calibers give more savings but I still reload them. About the only time I buy factory is to set a standard for reloading. The only exception is for plinking ammo for my AK's. Can't come close to the price of Wolf or Barnaul.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Where in Texas are you? If you are near Fort Worth stop by Cheaper Than Dirt for ammo.
They usually have good prices, and have ammo in unusual calibers/milsurp.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top