Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 11:54:10 PM EDT
Recently, I have started carrying concealed. I have chosen a Kahr MK9, which is holstered in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II horsehide holster.

I keep finding my pistol covered with white specks at the end of the day. The edge of my holster, which receives the most skin contact, will also be covered with tiny white specks. I just dismissed this the first few times I saw them, wiping the pistol clean. The particles appear to look like salt.

Well a couple weeks have gone by and the salt-like particles keep reappearing in the same fashion.

Are these salt grains from my body's perspiration? If so, I must say I am amazed by the amount of salt my body gives off. I don't sweat often, and am generally not physically active during the day. So it's not like I'm drenched with sweat the entire day either.

Will an undershirt take care of this?

What say you?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:00:40 AM EDT
[#1]
that is why I like my Glocks my 1911 was being eaten by my sweat
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Might be skin flakes or anti-perspirant specks falling from above.  (I see the latter daily.)  Dunno about salt, but I'd do a quick taste to check that.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Might be skin flakes or anti-perspirant specks falling from above.  (I see the latter daily.)  Dunno about salt, but I'd do a quick taste to check that.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Flakes!

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The edge of my holster, which receives the most skin contact, will also be covered with tiny white specks.

Are you wearing an undershirt of some sort?  I do.

If not, maybe that will help.

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:50:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Serious question. Do you put baby powder in your underwear?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#7]
wear an undershirt.  Not only will it sponge up your sweat, but it will make carrying a bit more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:20:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The edge of my holster, which receives the most skin contact, will also be covered with tiny white specks.

I don't see how you could not wear one.  If I didn't my gun/magazine would start graphting itself to my skin by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 8:28:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I liek the underarmor shirts for chafing and sweat protection for my gun. Light and effective.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't see how you could not wear one.  If I didn't my gun/magazine would start graphting itself to my skin by the end of the day.

I guess I will give one a try. My gun/holster combo is so incredibly comfortable I forget I'm wearing it half the time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I liek the underarmor shirts for chafing and sweat protection for my gun. Light and effective.

It's also slick so your cover garment moves out of the way.  I find cotton t-shirts more comfortable in most cases.  I wear underarmor when i'm doing strenuous activity or if i'm wearing a vest.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
using a stick deodorant?- i occasionally see this too, i attribute it to deodorant.  and treat it as an omen that it's time to clean.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
using a stick deodorant?- i occasionally see this too, i attribute it to deodorant.  and treat it as an omen that it's time to clean.

Yeah, I use a stick, but it never leaves any flakes. Also the particles don't smear like deodorant would.. they are exactly like little grains of salt.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:40:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Your gun is shedding its baby skin.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would almost garuntee that it is deoderant, it happens to me everyonce in a while.  At first I was a little puzzeld to what it was but I soon figured it out
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:58:34 AM EDT
[#16]
in that case, the T-shirt will fix that as well.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Taste the specks.

Salty?

- BG
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 2:37:13 AM EDT
[#18]
OK OK I will do a taste test tomorrow night. If it tastes how I think it's going to, at least I wont have to worry about getting a proper amount of salt on my french fries.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Par for the course if you do not use polymer pistols -  Just use a silicone gun cloth to wipe down your carry piece at the end of the day. This has kept my (non-polymer) duty weapon rust free for years.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
OK OK I will do a taste test tomorrow night. If it tastes how I think it's going to, at least I wont have to worry about getting a proper amount of salt on my french fries.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top