Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2005 7:33:58 PM EDT
I was hoping to get some advice about how to correct this problem. Every handgun I shoot I hit the target about three to four inches to the left. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it makes me unconfident about my ability to use my guns effectively if needed(I have a CHL). Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:56:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same problem shooting my Glock 30 (45 ACP).  Every other handgun I shoot is right on, but no matter what I am always shooting left with that thing.  A friend of mine can shoot it just fine though.  wierd.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Finger placement or uneven pressure between dominant and support hand, probably.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:06:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was hoping to get some advice about how to correct this problem. Every handgun I shoot I hit the target about three to four inches to the left. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but it makes me unconfident about my ability to use my guns effectively if needed(I have a CHL). Thanks.

Where is the index finger of your support hand, and are you left or right handed?

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where is the index finger of your support hand, and are you left or right handed?

Under the trigger guard and I'm right handed.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Mike
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Depending on the size off your hands,and exspecially your fingers too much finger can pull you to the left!!!  They make a device you can put on your trigger finger that will allow you to shoot with only the tip of your finger!!!

I had a browning BDM that had a really thin grip(that mixed with my big paws) made me shoot really bad left!!!

I could never overcome it so I sold a perfectly good(for some one else)pistol!!

Try different finger pulls till you find the sweet spot!!

Bob
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:04:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm right handed, and I think I'm pushing left from too little trigger finger. Take a firing grip on an empty gun, and use you fingertip, in front of the pad to pull the trigger. Most will push the gun noticeably to the weak side.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 7:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So, two say too little trigger finger and one says too much... I guess I will have to do some experimenting this weekend. Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I bet you are clenching the grip with the other fingers when you pull the trigger. That usually results in shooting low and left. Pulling the trigger hard instead of squeezing will do it too.
Find a firearms instructor at your range and ask him to watch you when you shoot.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Shooting to the LEFT!had
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#12]
aim a little bit more to the right !
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#13]
You guys need to dry  fire in the house more and pay atttention to where the front sight goes when the trigger breaks.

Shooting left is usually pushing the trigger if right  handed, shooting right is "plucking" sometimes caused by too much finger over the trigger.

Try dry firing and concentrate on pulling straight back towards the grip.  If you can't shoot all the time dry firing or a target air pistol in the house is your best bet.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got the same problem when I shoot sometimes. I finally got an IPSC Class A shooter (meaning a lot of trigger time) to watch me shoot.  When I would squeeze the trigger, I was on target. When I would try to pull it fast (slap it), I was off to the left. I am right-handed also.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You guys need to dry  fire in the house more and pay atttention to where the front sight goes when the trigger breaks.

Shooting left is usually pushing the trigger if right  handed, shooting right is "plucking" sometimes caused by too much finger over the trigger.

Try dry firing and concentrate on pulling straight back towards the grip.  If you can't shoot all the time dry firing or a target air pistol in the house is your best bet.

HeyLearning
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I went out to the ranch and did some shooting. I tried to use more of my trigger finger and concentrate on squeezing and not pulling or pushing to the side. I think it helped.

Shooting my Warrior.

At seven yards my group moved about an inch and a half from where it normally is.

At fifteen yards my group went to heck, but that is normal for me.

So thanks all, I think the advice helped. Of course I am up for more suggestions!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Has anyone else shot your pistol? If so did it group to the left for them also?
If everyone who shoots this pistol shoots left you may just need to drift your front sight over.
Jim
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:11:01 PM EDT
[#19]
1) Your thumbs shouldn't be crossed over each other like that, lay the thumb of your left hand flat against the grip lower than the other thumb.

2) Don't squeeze the gun with the tips of your right hand fingers.  Try the squeeze the gun against your palm with the middle of your fingers.  While holding the gun firmly with your right hand, someone should be able to easily pull the tips of your fingers away from the grip.

3) Make sure you're using the pad on the end of your finger, in between the tip and the first knuckle, to pull the trigger. Make sure you pull the trigger straight back toward your palm.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:47:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:10:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
1) Your thumbs shouldn't be crossed over each other like that, lay the thumb of your left hand flat against the grip lower than the other thumb.

2) Don't squeeze the gun with the tips of your right hand fingers.  Try the squeeze the gun against your palm with the middle of your fingers.  While holding the gun firmly with your right hand, someone should be able to easily pull the tips of your fingers away from the grip.

3) Make sure you're using the pad on the end of your finger, in between the tip and the first knuckle, to pull the trigger. Make sure you pull the trigger straight back toward your palm.

+1

also, your form is pretty sloppy. Your left arm needs to be futher extended to shore up your shoulder girdle. Also I think you want to increase the depth of your stance to better lock in your hips.

It appears you want to use a weaver/modified weaver stance. Try the isoceles stance and see if this improves anything. Take what works and modify what is not working.

shooting stances
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top