Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:07:45 PM EDT
Sorry if I've missed prior discussion on this one -- anybody familiar with/own/have some range time with this model?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't own one (I have several Steyr M and S series guns), but I do know that it has a universal light rail, a different front strap/grip configuration (without changing that outstanding Steyr M/S grip angle), an improved (finally!!!) extractor, and no manual safety (for the U.S. market) according to the wise sages over at the Steyr Club.

My wish is for Steyr to bring the manual safety equipped "M-A1" series to the U.S., they make an "S-A1" (they don't, yet) and they come out with a 5" barreled version to give the Glock 34/35 and Springfield Armory 5" XD's a run for their money.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I had an S-40 and it was a great pistol. Steyer makes good stuff. I f you have the money and like it I would pick it up. The triangle sights take a bit of getting used to but they are neat.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:47:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The M- series is a good looking pistol -  most  Steyr firearms are quality - my GB has been a work horse for 20 years.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Steyr IMHO has a horrible reputation in the US for replacement parts. See replacement parts for SSP, SSG, and AUG's. Common wear parts like ejectors and extractors are nearly impossible to find. If you are going to buy a Steyr, I would recommend you buy 2 so you can canibalize one of them.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I had an S-40 and it was a great pistol. Steyer makes good stuff. I f you have the money and like it I would pick it up. The triangle sights take a bit of getting used to but they are neat.

Are they a bit unaccurate at longer ranges like the big dot sights?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:46:23 PM EDT
[#6]
i own a steyr m40 and have found that it does not like reloads. each time i shoot with reloads i encounter a jam.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#7]
M1A pistol!  

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I found that ImpactGuns has them
(Might have to right click and "Open in new window")

Then search for Steyr M-A1

They seem to have both in stock. hug.gif
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I had an S40 for a long time and loved it till I took a pistol class from Tactical Response. It had allways functioned perfectly during my range sesions, but during the 1200 rounds I fired in 2 days during the course it just died on me with tons of FTE's which lead to the pistol trying to feed a live round into a chamber that still had an empty in it.

I checked around and found that many of us that bought from CDNN at about the same time when they first came out were having that problem, the extractor seemed to be going to hell on everybody's pistol after a couple years of use.

I hope they fixed that cuz I really did like the pistol.

And yes, the sights are very fast on target, and just like the big-dots are less accurate at distance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top