Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 11:39:26 AM EDT
OK, you hear about some rounds leading the barrel (right term?).  My question is this a real concern and how many rounds does it take to make a difference?  Also, does a good cleaning make this a moot point?  Will FMJ rounds solve the problem?

Yet another silly question from me.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot lead against those metal spinning targets with 9mm and .40. It seems that the more lead that is deposited in the barrel the worse I shoot(That's my excuse at least).

I have heard that FMJ rounds will "clean" some of that lead out but it doesn't work for me. The lead is deposited on the barrel in sort of a molten state so you need more than a liitle copper scraping by to get rid of it.

The makeup of the bullets will determine how much leading there is and how soon. I would say to experiment and see what works best for you.

If you are reloading the lead keep the loads a little less hot than normal and that will help cure some of it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Glocks don't like lead and lead up like crazy. In a worst case scenario a ring of lead can build up just in front of the chamber and cause a high pressure situation that could end in a KB. Lead is best left to bullseye and cowboy action shooters. FMJ is more expensive but cuts down on the cleaning issues.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap lead (soft) at quick velocities will do it every time. A stainless steel bore brush does a good job of lead removal (off course I know you should never use a stainless steel bore brush.)
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Most hard cast lead bullets need to be shot under 1000 fps.

If  you reload you can work  'down' some loads to about  600fps that will actually clean the barrel.

With Glocks  , if you stay under 1000fps and shoot a couple jacketed bullets every 3-500 rounds you won't have a problem.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 1:17:12 AM EDT
[#5]
After shooting a few hundred lead rounds with a replacement Glock barrel, I always shoot a box or two (50 or 100) rounds of FMJ rounds later on to get rid of the lead buildup.

It works for me!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top