Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2005 7:29:11 AM EDT
I am wanting to buy one to go with my AK. I know diddly squat about makarovs. Which ones to buy, which ones to avoid etc... Where to buy mags..availability of mags and parts. I would like a new one if that is possible. Help guys. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:40:18 AM EDT
[#1]
underpowered caliber, lousy grips, lousy sights......right now, the Bulgarian Maks are the easiest to find and buy....why not a 9x19 instead?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:05:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
underpowered caliber, lousy grips, lousy sights......right now, the Bulgarian Maks are the easiest to find and buy....why not a 9x19 instead?

I just want it for winter fun...thats all. I want a cheap beater commie pistol to go with my cheap beater commie AK
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:22:21 AM EDT
[#3]
makarov s are well worth 125 and uo for bulgis and 200 and up for east german,norinco ,russian.the EG are the best but all maks are very good compact pistols.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
makarov.com

google.com

I'm lazy, what can I say
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
makarov.com

google.com

I'm lazy, what can I say

I am lazy too, but I can type like greased lightnin!  
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
makarov.com

google.com

I'm lazy, what can I say

I am lazy too, but I can type like greased lightnin!  

I still single finger type. Too lazy to learn to type the right away
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
In response to jem375:

While it's hard to argue that sights are lacking and trigger takes a few hundred rounds to smooth up, they are probably the best bargain in pistols around (notwithstanding good deals on used cop guns at your local firearms vendor).

BTW, in those hundreds of rounds you'll need to smooth 'er out, you will likely experience zero (and I really mean ZERO) failures to feed, with only ammo quality causing a failure to fire. You can hardly say that about anything costing more than twice as much. Once you get used to the sights, be prepared for some amazingly small groups (considering the size and cost of the weapon). While it won't keep 5 under 2" like my Series 70 Gold Cup NM, I can definitely manage under 4" with my Bulgy.

The Mak is a decent SHTF gun -- you should get more than one and teach a loved one basic handling skills for those Katrina goons-type scenarios.

And, yes, I own four of them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am wanting to buy one to go with my AK. I know diddly squat about makarovs. Which ones to buy, which ones to avoid etc... Where to buy mags..availability of mags and parts. I would like a new one if that is possible. Help guys. Thanks in advance.

For a beater gun, which you are looking for, you can't beat a MAK. The best ones are West German ones, if you can find them. You will pay a higher price but it is worth it.
I owned a West German one back in the late 80's. Got it for $135.  Accurate as hell and very smooth trigger. I still kick myself in the ass for selling it!!!  
Russian and Bulgarians are everywhere.  Buy one! You will like it for a beater!  The ballistics are between a .380 and a 9mm.
A .380 is a 9x17, a MAK is a 9x18 and a 9mm is a 9x19. When buying ammo, look for 9mm Mak.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For a beater gun, which you are looking for, you can't beat a MAK. The best ones are West German ones, if you can find them. You will pay a higher price but it is worth it.
I owned a West German one back in the late 80's. Got it for $135.  Accurate as hell and very smooth trigger. I still kick myself in the ass for selling it!!!  
Russian and Bulgarians are everywhere.  Buy one! You will like it for a beater!  The ballistics are between a .380 and a 9mm.
A .380 is a 9x17, a MAK is a 9x18 and a 9mm is a 9x19. When buying ammo, look for 9mm Mak.

I think you ment EAST German.
The cream of the maks. If you can find one get it.
Russian next, then bulgies.

Stay away from the "polish" ones. They are not mil surp and are not maks. They just shoot mak ammo.

My East German will shoot anything I run through it.
Makarov.com is a great place to get parts and mags. When you get your "new" mak get it a new recoil spring for it. 17# is OEM. Mak.com has wolf springs for them. I use a 21# for mine, and it wont toss brass several lanes down anymore.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Get a Bulgarian if you just want a plinker. Last night my Bulgie scored two tree rats and an Armadillo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1, I've heard good things about Bulgy Maks and if you want a Commie 9x19, get a older model CZ75
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top