Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2005 5:23:16 PM EDT
OK folks, I have determined I need serious help.

Took my new Springer 1911 out today for a cherry popper, and while it prints great groups, I can't get the damn things centered. I'm right handed, and at 15 yards and aiming for the bullseye, I'm about 2-4 inches low and them same to the left side. I let someone else shoot it, and he shot low as well, but dead center.

My question, how could I be pushing my groups? I made a conscious effort to not tighten my fingers, nearly limp-wristing the gun. The trigger break surprised me like it should, with no flinching. I'm using the pad of my finger, the inside portion, closer to the knuckle than the fingertip. I believe my form is good, but something ain't right. I'm going to work on it more tomorrow, but I'll take any suggestions you have.

BTW, I shoot the exact same way with my Sig 220ST, low and left, in tight little groups.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
put a couple dummy rounds in the mag to make sure you ain't developing a flinch.
beyond that, post video and you'll be sure to get plenty more bad advice

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Low left is normally caused by mashing the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read around here somewhere on these forums that the SA do shoot low for some.

Have you seen that target with the sections to tell you what you are doing wrong depending on where you hit?  I'm sure someone will come along with it before too long.
If all else fail aim high and right just kidding
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
jollyroger, the SA pistols shooting low are Novak equipped pistols.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:44:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Everyone lines up the sights to their liking so as long as you can get a good group then all you need to do is adjust the sights. Every pistol I've ever shot needs some right windage to center the group on the target.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
img370.imageshack.us/img370/3664/correctionchart6jt.gif

I've seen that a hundred times, but the more I think about it, the more I think I really am using too little finger. I'll try to change it up and see.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 1:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top