Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 12:56:37 PM EDT

I'm probably going to have one of my 1911's refinished...and I've been trying to decide if it should get Duracoated (Which I can have a local person do) or if I should have it Black-T'd (Which would require me to send it off to Mr. Birdsong).

I know Birdsong's Black-T is pretty much "it" when it comes to nearly impervious non-reactive finishes. How well does Duracoat compare? I know Duracoat has a lot more color flavors...

My Emerson Commander came with a Black-T finish, and while there's a fair bit of wear, it's held up a lot better than I could have ever expected it to, which is one of the reasons I'm seriously considering Black-T...

Any thoughts? Anyone have any experiences, positive and/or negative, with either type of finish?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking about Black-T for my P220, but I'm not familiar with Duracoat.
Is Duracoat similar to parkerization or blueing?
I had my 1911 redone in Hard Chrome by Tripp Research. Quick turnaround and I'm very happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Duracoat by Lauer is from what I'm hearing much like Black-T...if you see the guns Brasspile has done up, he uses Duracoat. Lots of color combinations, etc...all the stuff that comes from DSArms with the funky paint/camo on them? That's all Duracoat...

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I duracoated a rossi 877, rem870, and a model 94 winchester.  I love this stuff and it is very easy to prep and apply.
They sell alot of colors that you can do to your gun.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top