Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 10:36:24 PM EDT
I used to be really careful in how I carried, small guns, longish coats, etc, but I don't have a little gun anymore.  I have a 92 in an IWB that carries comfortably, but it is huge.  But that is the price I am willing to pay for its reliability (I am death to guns, this 92 is the first gun I have owned that si totally reliable and predictable).  I just can't hide it as well as the Kel-Tec I used to own.

But I think there might be a little benefit to "sloppy" carry, the hint of a butt when shopping, Wind blowing my coat out of the way, etc.  It may be wishfull thinking, but if people noticed that there are other people with guns around, they may wonder how many out there are carrying, and reconsider being miscreants.  

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
That is unless the owner of the store, private land you are on sees it and asks you to leave...
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
But I think there might be a little benefit to "sloppy" carry, the hint of a butt when shopping, Wind blowing my coat out of the way, etc.  It may be wishfull thinking, but if people noticed that there are other people with guns around, they may wonder how many out there are carrying, and reconsider being miscreants.  

Or they may just smoke you first
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:46:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or they may just smoke you first

or call the cops on you for scaring the sheep.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:23:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Keep in mind the locale..

<------------

No permits required to carry here and everyone knows it is legal.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:13:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep in mind the locale..

<------------

No permits required to carry here and everyone knows it is legal.  

To borrow a Nicholson movie quote: [Col. Jessep] Don't I feel like the fucking asshole?[/Col. Jessep]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the downside is much greater than any possible upside.

For example: A BG sees you are carrying and sticks a gun in your face and tells you to give up your gun.

Just my $.02

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Not a good idea.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For example: A BG sees you are carrying and sticks a gun in your face and tells you to give up your gun.

Just my $.02

Seydou

+1
There have been at least two threads here, on arfcom, about a member's relative or acquaintance being robbed and having their pistols taken.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just my $.02

Seydou

Good idea.
I recommend everyone get rid of their guns, because the possiblity exists that a bad guy may take it, and use it against you.

Some of you are no better than the sheeple.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:21:36 PM EDT
[#11]
At first I thought you meant having a loose belt/holster connection... lol

I would rather be known as the "sleeper" if something were to happen and have the advantage, than possibly being forced into a gunfight.

Yes, this is AK, but we do have sheep up here too, not as many but they are still out there. Most would just assume what you're doing is perfectly legal and that there is no reason to call the police - depending where you are at the time... Is that a risk you're willing to take? The sheep however, would call the police whether they knew it was legal or not, especially if they were libs.

I understand where you're coming from though. If only we were allowed to show a certain percentage of our weapons, then people would not forget that we do have CCWs up here and that could be a benefit to our rights... After time, they would be accustomed to seeing people carry and it wouldn't be a big deal to someday allow open carry everywhere in the state/country if we were to try and pass it as law.

... The next benefit would be less crime, due to a 'old west' state where you better respect the person with the pistol strapped to his hip. Respect and less crime come with time. You can't expect to show someone your weapon and say "See?! I have a gun, you better not mess with me!! I'm tough!!" - You let them know not to mess with you by using other methods... more subliminal ones. If you must let them know you are carrying, then your life was in danger before you knew they were there, as you were their original target. In that circumstance, showing the butt of your pistol may prevent a life being lost... But you better let them know that you are capable (subliminal!) and prepared to act  if they decide it's now or never and attack you.

Some of you think that the sheeple simply knowing it is legal to carry and that people really DO carry, makes them more aware of the laws and then they attempt to get the law knocked down... Not so. They are and always have been after our rights... It's in their blood. One of the things we can do to HELP THEM, is to stand down when we need to step up. One of the things we can do to HELP OUR RIGHTS is to remind people that we are here in all our glory and we do that by letting them know we carry. It's tricky not to cross the line, but it's for the best as long as we are willing to fight for our rights and become more politically involved in our everyday lives.

If you're still siding with the sheeple at this point, think of it like this:

Remember when you were young? Remember your first rifle? And how hard it was to convince your parents that you were responsible enough to own one? You remember how unsure they were, even as they were filling out the paperwork? Do you remember it taking time for them to become more relaxed and comfortable with you having it? You showed them, over time, that you were responsible enough to handle one with their supervision and even have it on your own, without needing their permission anymore. Now look at you... Your safe is overflowing, and some of you may even have NFA firearms! Heck, you may have even converted your parents, and they now have a firearm for their own protection.

It's a process.
Things like that take time, unless you are ready and willing to take them by force.
I hope you all see things a little more clearly now.
We can't cower and expect to get what we want. If it means standing up for ourselves little by little, then that's what we'll do. We will offer some of our self respect to them, knowing that someday, we will be the kings.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#12]
slightly off topic- what IWB rig are you using?  92 is so big compared to my frame I wonder if I can hide it on anything lighter than a coat...
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:30:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just my $.02

Seydou

Good idea.
I recommend everyone get rid of their guns, because the possiblity exists that a bad guy may take it, and use it against you.

Some of you are no better than the sheeple.

I choose to carry concealed and I believe that no one needs to know I am carrying.

Carry however you wish, but to compare those who are concerned with effective concealment to sheeple is absurd.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]

slightly off topic- what IWB rig are you using? 92 is so big compared to my frame I wonder if I can hide it on anything lighter than a coat...

Quoted:
A 92 iwb?

Beretta 92 FS inox in an Alessi IWB holster.  Heck, I did not know they made them either. :).

I can get away with it under a long tshirt unless i am doing alot of reaching for stuff, but it is really common to have stuff hanging off your waist here, cells, multitools, knives, etc, that no one pays attention.  

Skinny guys tend to get away with cross draw carry and you might try that.  My mid section and relatively short arms make that imposssible for me to do, but I have a friend of very slight build that carries cross dray under a light flannel and I ain't ever marked him.

As far as sloppy carry goes, I just ain't as careful(paranoid) as i used to be about being marked and not letting anyone see me.  I had a guy working for me this weekend and I just gave up on wearing my light flannel all the time, it still took him 5 hours or so working with me to make mention of it, whether or not he noticed I do not know.

I am just curious as to how much benefit there was to the whole "I know a guy that carries" phenomonon(sp), I mean crime drops where ever there is a CCW law passed, why not add a little re-enforcement to the trend?  

Sometimes I swear that we are so afraid of spooking the "sheeple" that I think it makes us look like pedophiles or some other deviants to the rest of the world.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:44:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Should an armed security gaurd and a cop keep their pistols concealed? I personaly think thugs normaly go for easy prey because most of them are actualy lazy cowards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top