Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2005 12:17:39 PM EDT
Im saving right now for a good self defense handgun. I want a big bore caliber revolver with the purpose of keeping something off my ass, like a bear, MZB or rabid rotweiler, you get the idea. Ive been thinking 686 .357 snubby, yall got anything I should look into? Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good choice but hard to find: S&W Mountain gun .45 Long Colt found it on GunBroker

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not much on snubby revolvers, I think with a Magnum round, you should make the most of it and need at least a 3 inch barrel. If you are going to be carrying it, any of the S&W Magnum revolvers of the .357 flavor should be OK, if it's going to stay in the truck or something, go whole hog and get something like the 629 Mountain Gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is a good choice but hard to find: S&W Mountain gun .45 Long Colt found it on GunBroker

nas4.atlanta.gbhinc.com/GB/037408000/37408401/pix3050570843.jpg

Great gun, but your going to need to either get custom gun loads, or load your own if you want enough power out of the .45 LC to put down a bear. Recent .45 LC loadings are very light and seem to be made just for Cowboy Action Shooting, but you can find online sites that really push the .45 LC and your gun. A gun like that would be great for the heavier loadings. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:39:15 PM EDT
[#4]
.357 mag revolver or a 10mm Glock 20

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:12:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a 2.25" SP101 and it has tremendous blast and flash.   It will turn night into day and burn your danged eyebrows off.   I've got a neat handload just for those occasions.   Blue Dot=huge flash.   Maybe not practical but most fun you can have with a revolver ( if you like being punished)

It's spent many years as my fishing gun, 2 rounds of snake shot and 3 of the nasty ones.    Killed 1 snake that I damned near stepped on.   Dont think I'd want to run it against a bear tho!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top